OT - Genie Bouchard

JohnnyO

Aug 10, 2008
Well I think she got a little too big for her britches for the most part. + I think it's a bit mental (like Sharapova slipped big time before she came back up) so it's not like she can't over come it - but she needs to seriously get her poop together.

If it were me - i would just take the rest of the year off, and figure out everything. get a proper coach, cancel all the modeling and what not - and decide you're going to be a tennis super star. and then work at that.realise that she was incredibly lucky last year (I think the only people she beat ranked higher than her was Halep?) and start winning smaller tournaments (like Benic the girl who beat her - beat Serena AND won her 2nd. which is 2 things better than Genie who never beat Serena, and only has 1 tour victory).

then come back and like Swerv said - just.. don't break down if you get broken, or don't pretend your Serena and slug it out. that's not your game.

I agree with TribalPhoenix. (this was on a piece with Mark Masterson TSN) - a lot of people make it sound (or assume) that Genie dumped Saviano - but on the circuit it's actually the other way around. Saviano dumped Genie. Admit your wrong and go back. (or find someone else) or - you're just the next Anna Kournikova
So Saviano left Genie not the other way around? Didn't realize that, was this in an article Masters did?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
So Saviano left Genie not the other way around? Didn't realize that, was this in an article Masters did?

I am going to stress this - that's the scuttlebutt that many people on the WTA tour feel that Saviano left Genie. not that Genie left Saviano. (I don't think i made it clear in my original post)

and this was when Masters was in studio on the Macko & Cauz show twoish weeks ago (just before the Rogers tournament opened).

JohnnyO

Aug 10, 2008
I am going to stress this - that's the scuttlebutt that many people on the WTA tour feel that Saviano left Genie. not that Genie left Saviano. (I don't think i made it clear in my original post)

and this was when Masters was in studio on the Macko & Cauz show twoish weeks ago (just before the Rogers tournament opened).
Thanks. Either way definitely had an impact.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
to be fair to Kournikova - she won doubles grand slams and was world #1 there.
she didn't really "make" it as a singles player. and the reason she retired was due to back and spinal injuries. not for "not being good."

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
The comments on Kournikova and the comparisons to Genie are quite unfounded, as Daisy has pointed out (perhaps though not as strongly).

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
The comments on Kournikova and the comparisons to Genie are quite unfounded, as Daisy has pointed out (perhaps though not as strongly).

:laugh: i'll own my poop - I think i was the first one to bring up Kournikova and it is really unfair. But you hear this in radio a lot, like if someone doesn't make it in women's tennis the first person they bring up is Kournikova. Which - is unfair - because you do forget that Anna in her career did manage to reach #8 in the world, and world #1 in both singles & in doubles for a very long time (and does have the two GS wins under her belt). I actually forgot a lot .

a lot of her on court "issues" were due to injuries (back, spinal, and feet) so you wonder if she had she stayed healthy, would she have cracked the women's circuit. (around that time, Venus and Serena were starting to get hot. there was Davenport, Seles, was still around I think, and so was Hingis before she retired (or stepped back a lot too - as well as Sharapova) so we'll never know.

I wonder if a better example would be Jennifer Capriarti - a player who got really hot, had a horrible outside year and a bit (not comparing the two) and she got back on track. a lot of Genie's things in my opinion are mental - not physical though that ab injury probably isn't healed properly (or at all).

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
The comments on Kournikova and the comparisons to Genie are quite unfounded.

How so? Anna was a junior champ, and people predicted that she'll be an upper-echelon player, along with the Williams sisters, for a long, long time.

But she got tons of media attention for her looks, sponsors fawned over her, and she became distracted and lost her edge for good. She didn't have the mental maturity to handle it.

The parallel to Genie is very real. Nothing stands out to me more than Genie fawning over Bieber during a post-win interview. What does that say about her level of maturity?

The model is Sharapova. She has all the looks that these other women have, and all of the sponsors fighting over her, but she has the drive and the maturity to ignore it and focus on her game.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
How so? Anna was a junior champ, and people predicted that she'll be an upper-echelon player, along with the Williams sisters, for a long, long time.

Yeah, and Genie is still at the beginning of her career. We don't know what she is yet, as her career is not over.

There are a lot of reasons for her struggles, but if you look to her actual on court game, there are tremendous flaws present. She hasn't learned to calm down and is quite over-aggressive with her forehand.

But she got tons of media attention for her looks, sponsors fawned over her, and she became distracted and lost her edge for good. She didn't have the mental maturity to handle it.

Kournikova's problems, as mentioned in this thread, above all, was her injuries problem. This was the reason for her retiring. She was 21 and forced to retire. Quite frankly, lots of good and upcoming tennis players don't end up having the career they ought to probably have had as a result of injury. It's unfortunate but the nature of the sport.

The parallel to Genie is very real. Nothing stands out to me more than Genie fawning over Bieber during a post-win interview. What does that say about her level of maturity?

She was asked this through a reporter via her fans. Lots of girls like Justin Bieber. I dunno. I didn't really see any issue with it. Lots and lots of athletes are asked who their "crush" is.

The model is Sharapova. She has all the looks that these other women have, and all of the sponsors fighting over her, but she has the drive and the maturity to ignore it and focus on her game.

Sharapova has also played past 21.

mikebel111*

Its good though her model is Maria. Sharapova also a crazy off court life but she focuses just on tennis when she is playing

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

Says more about how critical you are being of her then her maturity by a long shot imo. 19 year old girl athlete is asked who her celebrity crush is, responds with a 19 year old male pop star, and the 19 year old girl is some how immature?

Lighten up please.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Says more about how critical you are being of her then her maturity by a long shot imo. 19 year old girl athlete is asked who her celebrity crush is, responds with a 19 year old male pop star, and the 19 year old girl is some how immature?

Lighten up please.

It's not that cut and dry. Bieber just isn't some regular pop star. He is a polarizing figure in the world and coming out as being a Belieber is kind of lame.

Personally, I think it was a bad move for her whole mentality and passion, cuz after playing tennis with BIebz and becoming his friend she must have lost some of her internal drive to succeed. Whether it's because all women are driven by the men they love or by him just being in her life has somehow hampered her IQ and increased her overall level of suck is hard to determine.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
It's not that cut and dry. Bieber just isn't some regular pop star. He is a polarizing figure in the world and coming out as being a Belieber is kind of lame.

Personally, I think it was a bad move for her whole mentality and passion, cuz after playing tennis with BIebz and becoming his friend she must have lost some of her internal drive to succeed. Whether it's because all women are driven by the men they love or by him just being in her life has somehow hampered her IQ and increased her overall level of suck is hard to determine.

lol wut. The fact that people think being a "beleiber" is lame is completely irrelevant. Ask most girls in that age bracket if they find Justin Beiber attractive, and an overwhelming majority of them will admit to the same thing regardless of what the overall opinion of him or his music is.

I highly doubt meeting him has any more of an effect then the fame in general has had, just another distraction.

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008

tumblr_m4k57yNY8d1qdqe09o1_500.gif

mikebel111*

Yeah I dont even know what to say about that

Also people saying its because of the Bieber comment are completely lost or not sure what they are talking

There are many reasons for why Genie has gone downhill, but the Bieber comment has nothing to do with it. How can someone question her maturity with that?
Her only mental/maturity issue IMO is that she doesnt take adversity really well

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
At this stage For those old enough to remember, I would compare Bouchard more to Carling Bassett than Anna Kournakova.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
There was one comment, I think last year when she had that successful run at Wimbledon, where she effectively said she enjoys tennis but doesn't plan on having too long of a career. People try and hold on as long as they can (ie. Agassi, Federer, S. Williams), yet she seemed dismissive. It rubbed me the wrong way. Since then, I've questioned whether her head is really in it.

Beyond that, she comes across as fake and snooty, and seemingly has allowed the fame to get to her. Which is fine, because she is making a lot of money based on her beauty. But it will be interesting to see if she will be that great tennis player whose looks helped her but were secondary, or is she going to be yet another pretty face whose career was primarily buoyed by her looks.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
There was one comment, I think last year when she had that successful run at Wimbledon, where she effectively said she enjoys tennis but doesn't plan on having too long of a career. People try and hold on as long as they can (ie. Agassi, Federer, S. Williams), yet she seemed dismissive. It rubbed me the wrong way. Since then, I've questioned whether her head is really in it.

Beyond that, she comes across as fake and snooty, and seemingly has allowed the fame to get to her. Which is fine, because she is making a lot of money based on her beauty. But it will be interesting to see if she will be that great tennis player whose looks helped her but were secondary, or is she going to be yet another pretty face whose career was primarily buoyed by her looks.

no that comment was this year during this ugly, ugly slump.
last year it was all "I'm going to be #1"

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

Eh, the money she is making on her looks is completely dependent on her being a top player in the world. If she can't get back there the attention is going to disappear very quickly.

She lost in the second round in Cincinnati last night, if this continues she's going to become a complete non factor by next season.

Last edited:

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Yup we were arguing about this a year ago. All kinda predictable. You can't be as arrogant, superior, and then fire your coach without a predictable down turn ensuing.

She's a rich head case whose career has hit the rocks maybe for good. Not a fan never liked her act so I'm not giving a darn about it. Go Milos.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Eh, the money she is making on her looks is completely dependent on her being a top player in the world. If she can't get back there the attention is going to disappear very quickly.

She lost in the second round in Cincinnati last night, if this continues she's going to become a complete non factor by next season.

again - I go back to what i said.
I think - even though it would torpedo her ranking for the rest of the year - just pull out of the season. Quite frankly, it's not like she's going to do anything in New York anyway, and I don't think she'll qualify for the WTA finals. Just. stop. playing. get healthy, find the biggest box of "I am sorry" and find Saviano (or someone really, really great). and quite frankly - cancel all your engagements. focus on tennis.

I don't know how Olympic qualifying works for the tennis circuit now but I'd assume it's joint Tennis Federation and ATP/WTA and they'd WANT Genie to go there, if she's playing well. Which. she's not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad