OT - Genie Bouchard

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Genie Bouchard although lost last night, she is a special talent, no.7 right now in the word probably rising after this performance and only 20-21 years old..SUPERSTAR in the making. She's going to win more than a few slams in her career.

she made the semi's here last year so I think she will actually lose points towards her world rankings dunno if she will drop or not but unless a top seed lost really early who went far last year I doubt she will move up in the world rankings.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Genie Bouchard although lost last night, she is a special talent, no.7 right now in the word probably rising after this performance and only 20-21 years old..SUPERSTAR in the making. She's going to win more than a few slams in her career.

That's about a year or 2 away from when tennis players generally reach their prime and hit their stride. Very few Federers, Samprases, and McEnroes that are able to last at the top for a very long time. I hope she continues rising beyond that.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Bouchard needs a tennis coach and a PR coach. Not exactly well-liked on tour.

I a much more a Roanic fan. Great skills, great orator, well-liked on tour. I would love to see him win.

mikebel111*

Bouchard needs a tennis coach and a PR coach. Not exactly well-liked on tour.

I a much more a Roanic fan. Great skills, great orator, well-liked on tour. I would love to see him win.

Do you have a source to support she isn't well liked on tour?

I would love if Milos won, but I don't think he has a great chance at beating Novak, hopefully I am wrong

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Do you have a source to support she isn't well liked on tour?

I would love if Milos won, but I don't think he has a great chance at beating Novak, hopefully I am wrong

Fans love her cuz she is young gorgeous and very skilled - she has been interviewed many times talking about her relationship with other players is one of competition only "I'm not here to make friends" type of thing. Arrogance in a young player is great media stuff but does not peddle well with other players.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Fans love her cuz she is young gorgeous and very skilled - she has been interviewed many times talking about her relationship with other players is one of competition only "I'm not here to make friends" type of thing. Arrogance in a young player is great media stuff but does not peddle well with other players.

but it doens't matter if she's "liked" on tour though. and many previous winners said that that's a very professional way to take it. tennis is a very individualistic sport. you basically show up, play your match and go home. once you start making friends, it can affect how you play if you face them.

Serena and Venus were (and from all accounts are) the same way. they don't talk to people, they don't hang out with other tennis players. this could very easily be a 'woman' thing (I don't know if it's the same on the men's side. like I know Pete + Andre are decent-ish friends now, but they weren't buddy buddy when they were vs. each other).

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
she made the semi's here last year so I think she will actually lose points towards her world rankings dunno if she will drop or not but unless a top seed lost really early who went far last year I doubt she will move up in the world rankings.

She will stay at 7 but yeah she made the Wimbledon Final and two semis at AO/French last year this isn't exactly much of an accomplishment. If anything its showed that her biggest weakness from last year (second serve) still hasn't really improved.

She shouldn't be there to make friends. Sharapova and Serena took flak back when they were younger for the same thing and it turned out OK for them.

I do think Milos is a good interview (always find it weird when people say he has minimal personality) - hopefully he can play Djokovic tonight like he did in Rome last year.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
but it doens't matter if she's "liked" on tour though. and many previous winners said that that's a very professional way to take it. tennis is a very individualistic sport. you basically show up, play your match and go home. once you start making friends, it can affect how you play if you face them.

Serena and Venus were (and from all accounts are) the same way. they don't talk to people, they don't hang out with other tennis players. this could very easily be a 'woman' thing (I don't know if it's the same on the men's side. like I know Pete + Andre are decent-ish friends now, but they weren't buddy buddy when they were vs. each other).

I agree that it may not matter. And this more an observation on my part. The Williams are definitely not the role models I'd want to emulate - not saying she is.

Is very cool to see a pair of Canadians doing so well - they are both getting a ton of media play. Go Milos!

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007

In other words you have nothing to back up your disparaging remarks but you want to try to keep them afloat with invalid quotes and your own baseless conjecture.

mikebel111*

I saw that comment yesterday and I don't find anything wrong with it. I take it as more of a "its player versus player".
One thing I do notice is that Genie doesn't take losses very well, like that hand tap she gave to Sharapova after the match. However she just barely got out of her teens so she isn't fully mature yet. She will be fine as her mental game is still well ahead past her age.
'arrogance" is a word that used to describe Sharapova when she was younger. you know all about her herself and stuff. now she is class with everything even after tough losses. One match I remember is one final against Serena. Sharapova outplayed and than at the end of the match, you see her smiling and I think she said to her coach "she is good"

I like that Genie is modelling her game like Sharapova. being mentally strong even when your not having a great game which is something I am sure Genie will learn. We have seen countless times Maria win games just by her fight even when not playing well.

This is why I have issues with people questioning a player's maturity or whatever. I mean I could get why people could take Genie's comment the wrong way, but I don't see it that way.
It's the same reason I get annoyed with people complaining about Sharapova's "grunting". "she uses it to distract her opponents". oh really cause I am sure she has won many tournaments by just distracting her opponent. That makes too much sense. Probably has nothing to with her being an elite player.

Like I said, the same thing things Genie is being called out for is the same thing Maria took a lot of heat about. Now Maria is all business on the court and doesn't let her off court fame get into the court per say

Genie will be just fine!

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I saw that comment yesterday and I don't find anything wrong with it. I take it as more of a "its player versus player".
One thing I do notice is that Genie doesn't take losses very well, like that hand tap she gave to Sharapova after the match. However she just barely got out of her teens so she isn't fully mature yet. She will be fine as her mental game is still well ahead past her age.
'arrogance" is a word that used to describe Sharapova when she was younger. you know all about her herself and stuff. now she is class with everything even after tough losses. One match I remember is one final against Serena. Sharapova outplayed and than at the end of the match, you see her smiling and I think she said to her coach "she is good"

I like that Genie is modelling her game like Sharapova. being mentally strong even when your not having a great game which is something I am sure Genie will learn. We have seen countless times Maria win games just by her fight even when not playing well.

This is why I have issues with people questioning a player's maturity or whatever. I mean I could get why people could take Genie's comment the wrong way, but I don't see it that way.
It's the same reason I get annoyed with people complaining about Sharapova's "grunting". "she uses it to distract her opponents". oh really cause I am sure she has won many tournaments by just distracting her opponent. That makes too much sense. Probably has nothing to with her being an elite player.

Like I said, the same thing things Genie is being called out for is the same thing Maria took a lot of heat about. Now Maria is all business on the court and doesn't let her off court fame get into the court per say

Genie will be just fine!

Yup - just wondering if it's affecting her decision-making on/off the court - going it alone - no coach quite good enough for her at the moment - very chilly interaction with other players type of thing. As Canadians we hope the best for her. This appears to be a very crucial development period for her - she's freakin' good. Some top notch girls in the way who aren't going to make it easy.

mikebel111*

Yup - just wondering if it's affecting her decision-making on/off the court - going it alone - no coach quite good enough for her at the moment - very chilly interaction with other players type of thing. As Canadians we hope the best for her. This appears to be a very crucial development period for her - she's freakin' good. Some top notch girls in the way who aren't going to make it easy.

I agree with you. I also am a bit puzzled why she doesn't have a coach. I think that is a mistake on her part

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Her coach wasn't one who could get her to the next level. No different than when Milos dropped Blanco and switched to Piatti/Ljubicic.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

I seem to re-call people saying the same thing about a certain 2nd line Leaf center a few years ago.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto

Genie will be just fine!

What shreikapova does is not "grunting", she screams like a ****ing banshee and as far as I'm concerned is completely unwatchable because of it.

mikebel111*

What shreikapova does is not "grunting", she screams like a ****ing banshee and as far as I'm concerned is completely unwatchable because of it.

Lol at "shreikapova", when people resort to stuff like that, than I dont bother to argue with people that say that.
Also way to exaggerate her grunting. "Banshee":laugh:
If you have issues with it, than mute the tv. Its sad people dont have common sense these days.
And from a person that gets distracted very easily, I can easily focus on the match and not the noises.
Anyway I hate arguing about this subject as I havent seen one player go up to the board and complain.
So non issue

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Everytime I watch Bouchard, she leaves me wanting. That was a terrible match again Sharapova. Expected a lot more from her.

mikebel111*

Everytime I watch Bouchard, she leaves me wanting. That was a terrible match again Sharapova. Expected a lot more from her.

She might be in a sophmore slump, though she needs to work on her 2nd serve it hasnt really improved. For the record, I dont think Genie even played all that bad, Sharapova is just too good

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
She might be in a sophmore slump, though she needs to work on her 2nd serve it hasnt really improved. For the record, I dont think Genie even played all that bad, Sharapova is just too good

and she has a tonne of unforced errors. that needs to clean up asap.

mikebel111*

Not surprised Milos lost. Novak is simply elite. Though the first set Raonic kept it close. After that really no contest

CalgaryLeaf*

there's a small little square that allows you the ignore the thread, since it's bothering you. i personally don't see a problem about commenting about two players one of which is a toronto athlete and a toronto sports fan.

That's not the point...Why not women's hockey next or figure skating or lacrosse? This forum is getting filled with more and more crap unrelated to the Leafs..Pretty soon people will be ignoring the entire forum...Just my 2 cents.
Carry on...

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2