OT - Genie Bouchard

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Don't think anybody would care about this if she were unattractive. Tired of having to listen about tennis on sports radio.

...tennis is a sport....

And they talk about Milos too (as well as any Canadian forging into uncharted territory).

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Don't think anybody would care about this if she were unattractive. Tired of having to listen about tennis on sports radio.

This must be a joke.
No canadian has EVER made the finals of a singles grand slam. This is historical stuff and would be one of the bigger sporting wins for this country in ages (you'll prolly laugh at this and come back with some weak joke about Tennis being stupid or something).
This would still be massive news even if she was fugly.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
especially because - she has a huge chance at being #1 overall at the rate she's going (or at least firmly entrenched in the top 5 (regardless tomorrow - she'll be 6th minimum). this is very heady stuff, right up there with Weir winning the Masters.

Rob11

Nov 9, 2012
For all canadian sports fans: wow. This woman is incredible. Tons of swagger and the game to back it up. Finals on saturday morning at 9 am on TSN! #GenieArmy

To tie-it into the Leafs (thanks Mess):
TSN says this was the most-watched Australian Open in the history of Canadian television. Some 1.6 million Canadians saw Ms. Bouchard beat Ana Ivanovic in the quarter-finals, becoming the first Canadian singles player since Carling Bassett at the 1984 U.S Open to make a Grand Slam semi-final. Some 4.4 million tuned in to see her lose to No. 4-ranked Li Na in that match. By comparison, 5.1 million viewers watched Game 7 of last year’s Eastern Conference quarter-final between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Boston Bruins.

Looks like there's a big chance Saturday's final will smash cable records!

I'm confused why you are talking about the Australian Open's ratings which was in January and not the Wimbledon ratings were for her Semi final.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
This must be a joke.
No canadian has EVER made the finals of a singles grand slam. This is historical stuff and would be one of the bigger sporting wins for this country in ages (you'll prolly laugh at this and come back with some weak joke about Tennis being stupid or something).
This would still be massive news even if she was fugly.
Personally I'd still take the hockey gold medals in the Olympics over this any time ;).

Good for her, it's certainly a major accomplishment. Though really more representative that this country isn't that good or extremely interested in tennis.

Wish her the best of luck. Though will probably sleep past the match :laugh:.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Personally I'd still take the hockey gold medals in the Olympics over this any time ;).

Good for her, it's certainly a major accomplishment. Though really more representative that this country isn't that good or extremely interested in tennis.

Wish her the best of luck. Though will probably sleep past the match :laugh:.

Sure but many people expected us to win the Gold medal. It wasnt anything of a shock when it happened.

For a tennis player from Canada to reach the finals of Wimbledon is historic and has NEVER happened before. I mean for people who dont really follow tennis much it might be hard to comprehend this achievement but until recently this country could hardly even produce a top 100 player let alone have someone on the brink of winning the biggest/most prestegious tournament in the sport (heck I'd say Wimbledon rivals any single sporting event).

This country needs to start becoming more interested in sports like Tennis and Soccer and not just be a one trick pony (nice to see we're finally producing high upside Basketball players).

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I'm confused why you are talking about the Australian Open's ratings which was in January and not the Wimbledon ratings were for her Semi final.

Are the Wimbledon ratings available yet?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think Genie has an admirer. :)

This tweet made me laugh. #fresh?

Nazem Kadri@43_Kadri · Jul 3

The show goes on. Stay hot @geniebouchard the all white get up is working playing under that @WimbledonRoof #fresh

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Bouchard Sharapova - hard to know where to keep your eyes. Hard luck Genie.

mikebel111*

Genie was taken to school by Sharapova today. Utter domination in every aspect
1. Bouchard didnt play all that well
2. Sharapova played like an elite player and since that 2nd round scare, it has lighted a fire under her I think

Sharapova is my favorite female tennis player, but when its any Canadian I always am with Canada.

The future is bright with Bouchard in female Canadian tennis and she knows lot of work to be done though.

No shame in losing to one of the best. Genie will come back stronger!

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Genie was taken to school by Sharapova today. Utter domination in every aspect
1. Bouchard didnt play all that well
2. Sharapova played like an elite player and since that 2nd round scare, it has lighted a fire under her I think

Sharapova is my favorite female tennis player, but when its any Canadian I always am with Canada.

The future is bright with Bouchard in female Canadian tennis and she knows lot of work to be done though.

No shame in losing to one of the best. Genie will come back stronger!

hehe I know. I love Maria. but Canada > Maria.

I'm hoping that Genie can figure out how to beat her (and Serena etc) because she can't win until she does (same as Milos and his struggled beating the top 4-5)

mikebel111*

I agree. The thing with tennis is that the gap between the top 3 and 7-10 is huge.
I mean not sure Genie needs to technically learn to beat Serena, look at all kinds of trouble Maria has with Serena I dont think a good performance by Sharapova beats Serena. Though Sharapova is the one to beat after the last 3 matches she has played IMO.
Genie has the skills to win and I am hoping she does

CalgaryLeaf*

Mods---- Are you allowing this thread during hockey season?..I mean the original thread was in July of last year after the hockey season....Why this is allowed in a Leafs forum is beyond me..smh

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Mods---- Are you allowing this thread during hockey season?..I mean the original thread was in July of last year after the hockey season....Why this is allowed in a Leafs forum is beyond me..smh

there's a small little square that allows you the ignore the thread, since it's bothering you. i personally don't see a problem about commenting about two players one of which is a toronto athlete and a toronto sports fan.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011

If you're not interested in the thread, why don't you just ignore it? Is that so difficult?

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Genie Bouchard although lost last night, she is a special talent, no.7 right now in the word probably rising after this performance and only 20-21 years old..SUPERSTAR in the making. She's going to win more than a few slams in her career.

MoeMoney

Mar 11, 2012
She didn't even show up yesterday, 0-4 against Sharapova now. She needs to become stronger mentaly to take that next step. Keep in mind she was playing without a coach this tournament, which is weird and indicative of how she thinks she knows it all now after a bit of sucess, stay humble and keep focused Genie. Very proud as a Canadian to have someone other than a Hockey player represent us Internationally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad