Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Aiden Castle
3x2nds
3x3rds

Fair?

Actually, that trade cannot happen if it is part of the memorial cup bid, as I suggested in my earlier post, due to trade restrictions on 16 year old 1st rounders.

So in order for it to be announced if Oshawa is awarded the tourney, you have to replace Castle and probably add one or two players that can be traded this off-season. Picks would have to be adjusted accordingly.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
One player that could be available for trade come January-
Jamie Drysdale

Erie’s gameplay next year is to see what they got but they are expected to extend their crap bag coach who will and has significantly held them back. With that, they will probably be a mid pack/Lower seeded team and Dave Brown will at the very least dangle Drysdale out to see what he can get

Obviously Oshawa will be all in, especially if they host. Don’t know your needs on the backend but Drysdale will be the clear top defender next year

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
One would think that if Oshawa had a notion to trade for Byfield should he return, talks could’ve or should've already been underway with Sudbury before the bid presentations were submitted. That way, they could’ve had as part of their bid, a conditional deal in place to be presented to the selection committee that had Byfield coming to Oshawa should they be awarded the hosting duties.

Then, stipulations of the deal would be such that it will be made public upon Oshawa being awarded the Memorial Cup and conditions taken off the picks once he plays one game in the OHL next year.

don’t necessarily agree though because Sudbury would be hoping they could use him to make themselves elite I’m sure if he got sent back. They wouldn’t move him unless they got to the deadline and it was clear they weren’t a championship team

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
One player that could be available for trade come January-
Jamie Drysdale

Erie’s gameplay next year is to see what they got but they are expected to extend their crap bag coach who will and has significantly held them back. With that, they will probably be a mid pack/Lower seeded team and Dave Brown will at the very least dangle Drysdale out to see what he can get

Obviously Oshawa will be all in, especially if they host. Don’t know your needs on the backend but Drysdale will be the clear top defender next year

I’d want Drysdale even more than Byfield tbh. I was watching the 2015 Mem Cup rerun last night and obviously you need elite forwards like Dal Cole/Cassels/McCarron/Lindberg etc by my god was Dakota Mermis ever valuable in that and Drysdale is a similar 2 way player that effects every aspect of the game in a positive way

for either Byfield or Drysdale the asking price would probably be rookie ‘04, 3 2nds, 3 3rds and for drysdale some condition 2nds if he’s back in the O the following year, although I don’t think he will be

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I’d want Drysdale even more than Byfield tbh. I was watching the 2015 Mem Cup rerun last night and obviously you need elite forwards like Dal Cole/Cassels/McCarron/Lindberg etc by my god was Dakota Mermis ever valuable in that and Drysdale is a similar 2 way player that effects every aspect of the game in a positive way

for either Byfield or Drysdale the asking price would probably be rookie ‘04, 3 2nds, 3 3rds and for drysdale some condition 2nds if he’s back in the O the following year, although I don’t think he will be
I would say Drysdale has a much higher chance of playing 2 years in the OHL than Byfield just based off the position he plays

No doubt though the conditional pick would just be a throw in that would almost certainly never apply to it. Personally Drysdale has been my favorite player to watch since McDavid. He is special and would be highly sought after if Erie is a poor team again

Reactions: Whatanathol

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Sudbury gets MTL draft pick Frederik Dichow to report and that probably takes Blake Murray off the table as a potential add. If Byfield is back they will be a top team in the East. If Byfield isn't back then they're awkwardly in the middle, which would make the 3rd straight year of them being in that position

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I was going through the TJC's 8 games of the Titans tourney for Aidan Castle clips today and he had 9G and 9A for 18 points in the 8 games. These are all from that one tournament:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Gens lineup right now is probably looking something like:

F:
Suni-Tomasino-Tullio
Harrison-McShane(OA)-import 1st rounder/trade
Castle-Gagnier-Stepien
Way-Michaud-McKinney
Others: McSorley, Drouin, Kocsis?, Richard?, Whitton?

D:
Ennis or Vallati(OA)-Brewer
Moore-import 1st rounder or trade
Jesus-Pitt
Others: Whittaker

G:
Kooy(OA)
Paputsakis
Others: Sbrocca, Polidori

It's hard to say who would be available from other teams in the offseason because usually teams want to see how they look before moving good players

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Going by this article I'd guess the Gens sign Jake Richard (French name, pronounced like Maurice Richard) at some point next year but he only gets in a game or two and then is on the team full time in 2021-2022 the following season. Gens don't want him playing limited minutes on the 4th line or getting healthy scratched instead of playing top 6 and a full season in Florida, which makes sense

Jake Richard- From LHSHL Star to OHL Draft Pick

Last edited:
Reactions: The Little General

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Interesting read! Sounds promising!

It's hard when you've never seen a player and you're only watching highlights but he does look really impressive. Seems like a really good skater and has some nasty snipes in the highlight packages they were showing during his TB interview today

Richard said the Gens scouts came down to see him 3 times in Florida then another 3 times in Detroit, and they were the only team who reached out to him, which explains why he slipped to the Gens in the 6th round

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Strange that other teams weren't aware of him or were but not into him!

Not taking anything away from the Gens who are obviously good at recruiting, but the Gens would have put more resources into identifying bpa after 100 for pick #2 than any other team.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Not taking anything away from the Gens who are obviously good at recruiting, but the Gens would have put more resources into identifying bpa after 100 for pick #2 than any other team.

What?

Kingston or Sudbury (or literally any other team) should also be scouting him to see if he's a 2nd round talent or 3rd round talent. What does the Gens not having a 2nd pick until the 6th have to do with anything?

He had 87 points in 22 games (3.95 points per game) and played in the same organization as top prospects Casey Seamus and Gavin Brindley, just on the younger team. If other teams had scouted him I think its very possible he would've been a 3rd round pick

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
What?

Kingston or Sudbury (or literally any other team) should also be scouting him to see if he's a 2nd round talent or 3rd round talent. What does the Gens not having a 2nd pick until the 6th have to do with anything?

He had 87 points in 22 games (3.95 points per game) and played in the same organization as top prospects Casey Seamus and Gavin Brindley, just on the younger team. If other teams had scouted him I think its very possible he would've been a 3rd round pick

Still defensive even though I stated Gens were good at recruiting, why? Did I miss lists having Richard rated as a 2nd pick? If the organization Richard was in considered him equal to Brindley or Seamus, Richard would have been playing with them? Number of picks and where picking absolutely does matter, most teams had selected high end US players in rounds 4-5, some earlier. There were 74 US born selected, all teams were scouting Americans, just giving a little more attention to players going in top 100 than the Gens would have

Last edited:
Reactions: NOA

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Still defensive even though I stated Gens were good at recruiting, why? Did I miss lists having Richard rated as a 2nd pick? If the organization Richard was in considered him equal to Brindley or Seamus, Richard would have been playing with them? Number of picks and where picking absolutely does matter, most teams had selected high end US players in rounds 4-5, some earlier. There were 74 US born selected, all teams were scouting Americans, just giving a little more attention to players going in top 100 than the Gens would have

Defensive? I'm asking what your post has to do with anything we were talking about, which you still haven't answered..

Number of picks and where picking absolutely does matter, most teams had selected high end US players in rounds 4-5, some earlier. There were 74 US born selected, all teams were scouting Americans, just giving a little more attention to players going in top 100 than the Gens would have

Again, this doesn't make any sense. If you have 1 pick in the top 100 or if you have 10 picks in the top 100 that doesn't affect whether or not you go to scout Florida or not. Also 74 Americans is a good number (also not a correct number, there were 69 Americans taken according to elite prospects) but super misleading. How many of them are from Detroit teams alone? 24 of those players are from Compuware and Honeybaked alone and that's only 2 teams. I'm talking specifically about Florida and a 15U Florida league at that. He said that not one other team contacted him, his agent, or his father, so you can't say that teams were scouting him because clearly they weren't. That's the first thing you do when you scout a player, especially if you're going all the way to Florida to scout him, is to connect with him, his parents and/or the coach.

There were 15 Americans taken ahead of Richard.
13/15 of them were from US border states (Michigan, NE, NY, Ohio, Wisconsin) and the other 2 were the USNTDP guys from Florida (Casey and Brindley)

The whole point of my post was that the OHL scouts heavily draft the border states and obviously they know the USNTDP guys but they don't heavily scout Florida it appears

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Strange that other teams weren't aware of him or were but not into him!
I will say this.. the reason why Oshawa will is already saying they will not have him on the team next year is likely because they know he isn’t going to be good enough yet. Maybe he will get there but he’s not there yet.

Neutral Zone scouting has him as a 3.5 rated prospect, which for their rating system means that in 72% of cases, those rated similarly go 4/5th round, in 18% of cases, those rated similarly go in the 6-9th round. They also had him ranked #135 out of all American prospects. They have scouting on him too and have actually viewed him. He was picked roughly where he should have been based on his rating and playing high school hockey for half the year.

Reactions: dirty12

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I will say this.. the reason why Oshawa will is already saying they will not have him on the team next year is likely because they know he isn’t going to be good enough yet. Maybe he will get there but he’s not there yet.

Neutral Zone scouting has him as a 3.5 rated prospect, which for their rating system means that in 72% of cases, those rated similarly go 4/5th round, in 18% of cases, those rated similarly go in the 6-9th round. They also had him ranked #135 out of all American prospects. They have scouting on him too and have actually viewed him. He was picked roughly where he should have been based on his rating and playing high school hockey for half the year.

I feel like you're not understanding the conversation. I'm not saying he's the next Phil Tomasino. I'm saying its shocking that not one other team scouted him.

Even if the numbers you're saying are accurate and whatever website says he's a 4th-6th rounder, well the OHL draft has 15 rounds. So why did none of the other teams scout this kid even if they were planning on taking him in the 7th round? Not one team reached out to his agent, his dad or him but the Gens to see what his plans were going forward (i.e. NCAA or OHL). That's my point about how areas like Florida aren't heavily scouted unless it's for the USNTDP kids like Seamus Casey

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I feel like you're not understanding the conversation. I'm not saying he's the next Phil Tomasino. I'm saying its shocking that not one other team scouted him.

Even if the numbers you're saying are accurate and whatever website says he's a 4th rounder, well the OHL draft has 15 rounds. So why did none of the other teams scout this kid even if they were planning on taking him in the 7th round? Not one team reached out to his agent, his dad or him but the Gens to see what his plans were going forward (i.e. NCAA or OHL)
Because he’s located in Florida??? And again he’s a mid round pick in terms of his rating. For most teams or scouts, they scout him and see a 5-9th round prospect. As someone who lives in and plays in Florida, that’s a lot to recruit for a mid round player who still can consider college.. which he might end up going if he doesn’t make the OHL in 1/2 years and gets some decent D1 looks. But appears as of now, he doesn’t even have D1 offers so of course he’s interested in the Generals now but that could easily change if he develops and gets later looks for US schools

Imo it comes down to there being 150-200 Canadian and US players that you could argue are all mid round (5-10th round) picks. Scouts on each team will focus in on their guys or who they like from there. To put heavy recruit time in a mid round talent from Florida is going to be rightfully ignored by 99% of teams

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Because he’s located in Florida??? And again he’s a mid round pick in terms of his rating. For most teams, they scout him and see a 5-9th round prospect. As someone who lives in and plays in Florida, that’s a lot to recruit for a mid round player who still can consider college.. which he might end up going if he doesn’t make the OHL in 1/2 years and gets some decent D1 looks. But appears as of now, he doesn’t even have D1 offers so of course he’s interested in the Generals now but that could easily change if he develops and gets later looks for US schools

Imo it comes down to there being 150-200 Canadian and US players that you could argue are all mid round (5-10th round) picks. Scouts on each team will focus in on their guys or who they like from there. To put heavily recruit a mid round talent from Florida is going to be rightfully ignored by 99% of teams

"But appears as of now, he doesn’t even have D1 offers"

Lol what? Now all of a sudden you know so much about this kid that he and his agent confide in you and tell you if he's getting offers or not? Come on... Don't just make stuff up to try to further an argument

Imo it comes down to there being 150-200 Canadian and US players that you could argue are all mid round (5-10th round) picks. Scouts on each team will focus in on their guys or who they like from there. To put heavy recruit time in a mid round talent from Florida is going to be rightfully ignored by 99% of teams
So if the Gens didn't take him, you think no other team would've been interested in him in even the 15th round? Despite whatever website you sited saying he should be right there as a mid-round pick? So then why did not one team scout him or gage his OHL vs NCAA interest? That's all I'm saying is it was interesting to hear him say that.

Despite other fans jumping in and trying to make it out to be like I'm saying he's the next Tomasino, all I'm saying is it seems that non-USNTDP guys from Florida are an untapped market to most OHL scouts.

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
"But appears as of now, he doesn’t even have D1 offers"

Lol what? Now all of a sudden you know so much about this kid that he and his agent confide in you and tell you if he's getting offers or not? Come on dude. Don't just make stuff up to try to further an argument
Scouting services don’t have any offers listed with him. Just a simple search of the name..

Calm down, man. These are just facts. Nobody knows what he will be but Oshawa scouting him and being the only one who did means nothing. Happens all the time when thousands of kids are eligible for a 15 round draft. If anything, it’s them trying to do anything to actually improve their late round drafting which from 2014-2018 has been terrible - resulting in only 2 OHL players from rounds 6-15. Jesus and McSorely (who based on his stats and age isn’t even an OHL player). So kudos to Oshawa for stepping out the box because they are desperate to improve their later round drafting

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Scouting services don’t have any offers listed with him. Just a simple search of the name..

Calm down, man. These are just facts. Nobody knows what he will be but Oshawa scouting him and being the only one who did means nothing. If anything, it’s them trying to do anything to actually improve their late round drafting which from 2014-2018 has been terrible - resulting in only 2 OHL players from rounds 6-15. Jesus and McSorely (who based on his stats and age isn’t even an OHL player). So kudos to Oshawa for stepping out the box because they are desperate to improve their later round drafting

Hahaha you couldn't possibly be trying hard to make this conversation into everything possible other than what we're talking about

"It kinda seems like Florida is an untapped market for OHL"

"YEAH WELL THE GENS DON'T DRAFT WELL IN THE 10th ROUND AND LATER"

Like honestly... Wtf:laugh:

Side note: also interesting you decided to go 2014-2018 (4 year span) and not 2013-2018 (5 year span). It's almost like if you added the extra year the Gens would've drafted 2 pro hockey players, a high end starting goalie, and another guy with 160 points in 252 OHL games, all after the 5th round. But someone as interested in the "facts" as yourself would never provide a small sample size stat to try to misconstrue the data....

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Hahaha you couldn't possibly be trying hard to make this conversation into everything possible other than what we're talking about
Wow. Anger issues I see. You have never been able to handle criticism against your team without mocking or attacking people. This clearly relates to the convo but okay, you can keep the only positive Gens talk going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad