Oshawa Generals 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Just saw Scott Wheeler say he doesn't think Marco Rossi will be back for the 67s next year and a lot of other people seem to think the same, and he had a post yesterday on twitter that made it seem like he thinks his time in Ottawa (for the 67s at least) is over. With everyone else they're losing, if he's gone too they aren't contenders next year. Petes won't be good next year. Kingston will be better than this year but still too young to contend. Hamilton will be fighting for home ice next year but barring any huge moves, I don't think they'll be an elite team. At this point, the Gens would go into the season as big favourites in the Eastern Division imo.

Mississauga probably the best team in the Central Division, unless Byfield comes back

Gens roster going into the draft and off-season:
Suni-Tomasino-Tullio
Harrison-McShane(OA)-?
McKinney-Gagnier-Stepien
Drouin-Michaud-McSorley

Ennis or Gross(OA)-Brewer
Moore-Vallati(OA)
Pitt-Jesus
Whittaker

Kooy(OA)
Paputsakis

Now obviously the problem with that depth chart is 4 OAs and you can only have 3. I think Gross is going to be signed by NYR so he's out. McShane and Kooy are for sure right now. But I wonder if they'll be trying to get a stud goalie in the import draft. Then your OAs can be McShane-Vallati-Ennis and your goalie is the import stud. Or do they go for just BPA in the import draft and your OAs are McShane-Kooy-Vallati/Ennis and you trade the other one of Vallati/Ennis who doesn't win the final spot. A good problem to have

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Barrie should be pretty good too

They'll be good but not a contender good. Just too young. All their best players are 2002 and 2003 born (Foerster, Vierling, Cardwell, Clarke). Their 2000's are Luke Bignell and Victor Hadfield and no offence to those guys but they'd need to upgrade considerably and get quite a bit older if they're going to compete for a championship next year.

They'll probably be great in 2 years but next year they'll just be good

Reactions: HockeyPops

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Open OA and import spots where the colts generally do very well is part of the reason I expect a big improvement. My much too early guess is 1-3 for Barrie this coming season.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Open OA and import spots where the colts generally do very well is part of the reason I expect a big improvement. My much too early guess is 1-3 for Barrie this coming season.

They're going to buy in a year where their team is too young to win? I don't see them wasting assets in a year where they know the following year is going to be their big one.

I think Mississauga is quite a bit better than them at this point, mainly because their best players are all veteran OHLers now. But I could still see Barrie finishing 3rd. Nobody else in the East other than OSH/MISS looks primed for a run next year as of now (that can change very fast though, I assume KGN will try to add), if Byfield and Rossi don't come back

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
They're going to buy in a year where their team is too young to win? I don't see them wasting assets in a year where they know the following year is going to be their big one.

I think Mississauga is quite a bit better than them at this point, mainly because their best players are all veteran OHLers now. But I could still see Barrie finishing 3rd. Nobody else in the East other than OSH/MISS looks primed for a run next year as of now (that can change very fast though, I assume KGN will try to add), if Byfield and Rossi don't come back

I think Miss will be good too, but maybe a little wary of using limited picks to bolster the line up unless looking like a legit contender. Oshawa is obviously in it to win this year. But I do like the colts talented and balanced roster ... 6-2001, 5-2002, & up to 6-2003 as of now, and too many extra picks to be used strictly for drafting

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Why are we so quick to dismiss Hamilton?

It's hard to really say anyone will/won't be good right now because it'll all come down to their GM. Pretty much if any GM wants their team to be good that year, they will be. The one year Kingston sucked then they trade every young player they have for Vilardi, Pu, Day, Jones and they're good out of nowhere and make it to the ECF.

But my logic for HAM right now is their D going into next year is:
Staois-Vescio
Supryka-Renwick
Jenkins-White

That's far below average and their goalies were .889 and .873 last year. I think they're going to give up a ton of goals as their team currently stands

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I think Miss will be good too, but maybe a little wary of using limited picks to bolster the line up unless looking like a legit contender. Oshawa is obviously in it to win this year. But I do like the colts talented and balanced roster ... 6-2001, 5-2002, & up to 6-2003 as of now, and too many extra picks to be used strictly for drafting

Yeah they definitely won't use them all (or even most of them) for drafting. I just think they'll wait until 2 years to use their picks when Foerster, Vierling, Cardwell are 19 and Clarke is 18. They probably add cheap next year but you don't really win adding cheap usually and I don't see them blowing a ton of assets for a Nick Robertson or Connor McMichael type rental player like Mississauga or Oshawa would be willing to

But yeah I could definitely see barrie fighting with Ottawa/Hamilton/Kingston/Sudbury for home ice in the first round next year

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Yeah they definitely won't use them all (or even most of them) for drafting. I just think they'll wait until 2 years to use their picks when Foerster, Vierling, Cardwell are 19 and Clarke is 18. They probably add cheap next year but you don't really win adding cheap usually and I don't see them blowing a ton of assets for a Nick Robertson or Connor McMichael type rental player like Mississauga or Oshawa would be willing to

But yeah I could definitely see barrie fighting with Ottawa/Hamilton/Kingston/Sudbury for home ice in the first round next year

reasonable assumption, I guess the difference of opinion is my view of the impact one very good OA and import could have on the colts. They do also have the extra assets to do a Nuemann type deal that the Gens pulled off two seasons ago. Porco & Tabak deals might be underestimated as well.

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
reasonable assumption, I guess the difference of opinion is my view of the impact one very good OA and import could have on the colts. They do also have the extra assets to do a Nuemann type deal that the Gens pulled off two seasons ago. Porco & Tabak deals might be underestimated as well.

I just think they're further away than 1 OA and OSH+Miss will both be going all-in, which BAR won't

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Prospect Pipeline released their final rankings and Bryce McConnell-Barker is ranked 13th (Gens pick 13th), Carson Christy ranked 14th and Hunter Haight is ranked 15th

Would be very happy with the Gens taking any of them

-Christy led the ETA with 41 goals in 36 games (62 points)
-McConnell-Barker had 29 goals and 48 points in 33 games for London, along with 6 points in 6 games when called up to GOJHL as an underager
-Haight had 32 goals and 58 points in 33 games for Elgin-Middlesex, leading the Alliance in goals.

Reactions: Whatanathol

Whatanathol

Jul 27, 2018
Oshawa
any chance 1 thru 12 jumps the rankings and takes Christy off the board?

would be great to see him remain a genee. he reminds me a little of #26. As fast with the puck and other high end skills sim' to former Dog, now always a Dog apparently after they :pooch"ed, sorry poached our slogan.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
any chance 1 thru 12 jumps the rankings and takes Christy off the board?

would be great to see him remain a genee. he reminds me a little of #26. As fast with the puck and other high end skills sim' to former Dog, now always a Dog apparently after they :pooch"ed, sorry poached our slogan.

Yeah it's certainly possible. He led the entire OMHA+GTHL+Alliance in goals with 41

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
Be real nice to have a 2nd rounder this year to have a crack at Poole.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Brock Otten's mock has the Gens going D-man in round 1. But it has Dalyn Wakely falling to 12 (1 before the Gens). Man if they ever somehow got him that would be unreal. Could convince a top team to trade their stud if he's the one you're offering

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
London must believe the 20121 Draft is going to be loaded as they pick up extra 6,8 and 10th round players in trades today and they already had doubles in some rounds. Generalsupdates?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
London must believe the 20121 Draft is going to be loaded as they pick up extra 6,8 and 10th round players in trades today and they already had doubles in some rounds. Generalsupdates?

Could be. Another possible explanation is they have a lot of guys returning for next year so they won't have the roster space for many guys. Whereas 2 years from now they could have more roster spots open

Reactions: dirty12

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Could be. Another possible explanation is they have a lot of guys returning for next year so they won't have the roster space for many guys. Whereas 2 years from now they could have more roster spots open
I think it’s more a case that we have Kingston and Niagara's 2nd round picks Hamilton’s 3rd and Niagara's 4th and Erie’s 4th this year. 6 picks in the first 4 rounds with Niagara’s and Kingston’s so early in round 2 they are almost what typically the Knights call a 1st rounder.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I think it’s more a case that we have Kingston and Niagara's 2nd round picks Hamilton’s 3rd and Niagara's 4th and Erie’s 4th this year. 6 picks in the first 4 rounds with Niagara’s and Kingston’s so early in round 2 they are almost what typically the Knights call a 1st rounder.

In a year with so many high end Americans I am surprised London would be moving any picks and not swinging for Americans because they could probably talk $ome of them into coming

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
In a year with so many high end Americans I am surprised London would be moving any picks and not swinging for Americans because they could probably talk $ome of them into coming
Oh, those ones are already negotiated we got lots of money, never an issue. :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad