Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Oct 26th 10-3 ptbo
Jan 5th 7-3 miss
Jan 24th 4-3 miss
March 7th 5-1 ptbo

Mississauga was a very under rated team this year but they weren’t beating Ptbo 4 of 7 in rnd one. Sorry

Yeah MISS beat them 2/3 in 2020, that's what I said.

Nobody can act like they know what Petes team would've shown up any given night. They were by far the least consistent good team in the league (they went 8-12-1 against playoffs teams in 2020). One game they'd beat Ottawa and look great, the next 2 games they'd lose to bad teams and get dominated. They weren't consistent at all so obviously the Petes would've been the favourites, but MISS for sure would've had a chance with Edmonds/Harley/Hardie/Washkurak/Schwindt, etc.

Last edited:

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
I usually watch the OHL Draft on-line but as a Gens fan it holds little interest for me this year with zero picks after the 1st round until the 6th. Thanks, Roger!

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I usually watch the OHL Draft on-line but as a Gens fan it holds little interest for me this year with zero picks after the 1st round until the 6th. Thanks, Roger!

Unfortunately you'll have to trade a boring Saturday for one of the best teams in the league next season and potentially getting to watch your team compete for a Mem Cup on home ice...

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Gens will have 13 picks on Saturday:
-13th (1st round)
-113th (6th round)
-121st (7th round)NB
-133rd (7th round)
-159th (8th round)LDN
-173rd (9th round)
-193rd (10th round)
-213th (11th round)
-233rd (12th round)
-253rd (13th round)
-273rd (14th round)
-286th (15th round)HAM
-293rd (15th round)

121st came from the Nathan Torchia trade with OS.
159th came from the 8th for 8th swap with LDN on Monday.
286th came from the 15th for 15th swap with HAM yesterday.

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
I don't see the strength in the remains of this team that you do. I think Barrie and Missy both look stronger. So, I don't like the trade-off!

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Yeah MISS beat them 2/3 in 2020, that's what I said.

Nobody can act like they know what Petes team would've shown up any given night. They were by far the least consistent good team in the league (they went 8-12-1 against playoffs teams in 2020). One game they'd beat Ottawa and look great, the next 2 games they'd lose to bad teams and get dominated. They weren't consistent at all so obviously the Petes would've been the favourites, but MISS for sure would've had a chance with Edmonds/Harley/Hardie/Washkurak/Schwindt, etc.
Two of the games the Petes had players out with the flu and injuries

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
Lots of picks but generally (no pun intended) those selected after the 4th don't mean much. Maybe they could take some gambles on some kids who say they are going the college route. I don't usually follow closely after the 4th round. You enjoy!

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I don't see the strength in the remains of this team that you do. I think Barrie and Missy both look stronger. So, I don't like the trade-off!

I’m interested to hear how Barrie looks better then the Gens. Barrie doesn’t have one star 2000 or 2001 born player. All their good players are young kids. That’s not how you win in the O. Barrie will have one big line with Cardwell-Vierling-Foerster, but all 3 are 2002’s. And the Gens will have a better top line with McShane or Harrison or Suni-Tomasino-Tullio

Not to mention they can return 5 D, both goalies, Tomasino will be a top 3 player in the league, Tullio should take another step forward and be an elite player, Suni hopefully can stay healthy and he’ll show why he’s a 2nd/3rd round NHL pick, McShane will be one of the better OAs in the league. Harrison a year older and stronger, an import 1st rounder coming which Hunt has been really good with and he has picks to play with to add more this offseason/next deadline. Idk how a Gens fan could possibly not be exited for next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whatanathol

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
While the colts are loaded with top talent born 2002-03, they do have F,D,G (six players) born 2001 drafted 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, and import of which 3 are NHL drafted (so far); and, have room to improve relatively cheap at the OA spots.
I currently rank them 3rd in the east with a decent chance of 1st if they only add two of the top OAs available.

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
I am always excited to watch the Gens and have been since '68. I am not overly impressed with their depth after the players you named. McKinney, Stepien, Winterton, Michaud, McSorley and Whittiker don't strike me as Mem. Cup material. just my opinion.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
One of the potential gens first line combos provided is Harrison ('03) - Tomasino ('01) - Tullio ('02) used in the same sentence and to convince us that Barrie's line of '02s being too young.

I think both lines will be good. And young.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I am always excited to watch the Gens and have been since '68. I am not overly impressed with their depth after the players you named. McKinney, Stepien, Winterton, Michaud, McSorley and Whittiker don't strike me as Mem. Cup material. just my opinion.

Mem Cup teams are built at the trade deadline. Ive used this example several times but at this exact time in 2014 (the next year the Gens won the Mem Cup and had their best season ever), their roster looking forward was

Josh Sterk-Cole Cassels-Michael Dal Colle
Brad Latour-Sam Harding-Hunter Smith
Jacob Busch-Aidan Wallace-Joe Manchurek
Justice Dundas-Owen McDade-Matt Hore

Only 1 of those bottom 6 guys ended playing all the playoff games (Aidan Wallce, and he got dropped to 4C). The other 5 got ended up being upgraded on.

You need top end guys and then you go and round out the roster. The Gens have the top end guys already (and will still probably add another one). It's easy to get depth players who can do their job.

Tomasino, McShane, Suni, Tullio, Harrison are legit top 6 guys on a contending team. Stepien can be a legit role player on a contending team. McKinney/Gagnier/Michaud have the potential to be so they get the first half of the season next year to show they can be 4th liners on a team that can win it all, if they show they can't then you go add a depth player for mid-round picks (like OTT getting Varga for a 6th last year)

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
One of the potential gens first line combos provided is Harrison ('03) - Tomasino ('01) - Tullio ('02) used in the same sentence and to convince us that Barrie's line of '02s being too young.

I think both lines will be good. And young.

You conveniently used the youngest player in the "could be" hypothetical that I threw out. No offence to Brett Harrison because he was super impressive in his rookie season but he's not going to be on the 1st line over a guy like McShane, I was more just saying the Gens have more top 6 guys at this point. McShane-Tomasino-Tullio would be the Gens top line if it started today. That's an OA, a 2001 who will be in his final year and an '02 who's going to be taken in the 2nd or 3rd round in the coming NHL draft. That's much different than 3 2002's

But it's really not even about that. I'm not saying Barrie can't be good because they're young, I'm saying they won't go and add huge because they're young and if they don't go and add big then they will fall behind the other teams who do go big (like OSH and MISS are expected to). Basically all of Barrie's good players will still all be around the following year, and all will be a year older and likely better, so that seems to be the year where you push your chips in the middle and go for it. And as we all know, unless you go all-in, you rarely get a championship team in the OHL

Kingston is similar. If Kingston goes all-in next year would they be good? Yeah probably. But they're not going to go all-in because their nucleus is so young so they'll wait and go all-in when their good players are a bit older

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
OHL insiders is doing a live stream and is going through what he's heard and who linked to each team. He did the first 12 (Gens are 13):
1- NB: Nelson
2- NIA: Fimis
3- SAR: Namestnikov
4- SOO: Goyette
5- KGN: Ludwinski or Guindon
6- HAM: McCoy or Donovan
7- MISS: Fantilli or Lavoie
8- ER: Sova
9- BAR: Haight or McConnell-Barker
10- OS: McConnell-Barker or Haight
11- SBY: Delic
12- GUE: Fantilli if still there

In this, Dalyn Wakely would potentially still be there at 13 for the Gens. That would be great imo. He would be in high demand come the trade deadline. I thought he'd be top 6 overall

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
OK Generalsupdates, you have halfway convinced me. That lineup you posted above closely resembles the Gens one we were evaluating. Tit for tat about the same quality. My concern is the Gens do not have a lot to trade for talent like they did that year, however, we shall see. Good foiling with you!

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
OK Generalsupdates, you have halfway convinced me. That lineup you posted above closely resembles the Gens one we were evaluating. Tit for tat about the same quality. My concern is the Gens do not have a lot to trade for talent like they did that year, however, we shall see. Good foiling with you!

who they draft tomorrow will be their biggest trade chip for sure. Michaud could be another trade chip, many people had him as a first rounder last year so the potential would be there and I’m sure there’s teams that’d want to give him a chance in their top 6, which he’s never got to do here yet. And then they have 5 2nds and 6 3rds to play with

also wouldn’t be surprised if Matt Sbrocca got traded. Signed ‘02 goalie who had a good year last year but Kooy/Paputsakis are back next year and then Paputsakis is back the year after that too

Reactions: OshawaFan2019

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
With Michaud's size, I would hope to see him as a regular top 9 and possibly top 6. Maybe Sbrocca should be kept as a bug once a decision is made as to which of the other two is crowned the starter?

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
Addendum: Thoughts on Cooper Way making the Gens? Good size but other than that I don't know,nor can I find, anything about him.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
With Michaud's size, I would hope to see him as a regular top 9 and possibly top 6. Maybe Sbrocca should be kept as a bug once a decision is made as to which of the other two is crowned the starter?

I'm a big Patrick Leaver fan so I wouldn't be surprised if he's the backup in 2 years, and he's younger than Sbrocca.

Addendum: Thoughts on Cooper Way making the Gens? Good size but other than that I don't know,nor can I find, anything about him.
I really liked him for Waterloo in his minor midget year. Didn't see any Elmira games last year though

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I'm not saying Barrie can't be good because they're young, I'm saying they won't go and add huge because they're young and if they don't go and add big then they will fall behind the other teams who do go big (like OSH and MISS are expected to). Basically all of Barrie's good players will still all be around the following year, and all will be a year older and likely better, so that seems to be the year where you push your chips in the middle and go for it. And as we all know, unless you go all-in, you rarely get a championship team in the OHL

But Barrie can add big and relatively cheap because they can add two OAs in a market that I suspect will be flooded. Keep in mind that Barrie has twice as many 2nds & 3rds as Oshawa does and have 5-4ths to the Gens zero.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
But Barrie can add big and relatively cheap because they can add two OAs in a market that I suspect will be flooded. Keep in mind that Barrie has twice as many 2nds & 3rds as Oshawa does and have 5-4ths to the Gens zero.

You can get a decent OA for cheap (Bulitka for player+3rd+8th) but you're not getting an elite OA for cheap (even in a year where the OA market was super flooded, Brandon Saigeon still cost 2 2nds+3rd) and barrie needs more than a decent OA to become a contender

4th rounders don't hold much value when comparing them 2nds/3rds. A 4th rounder gets you Peter Stratis, who was a 2nd pair guy on the worst defensive team in the league last season

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You can get a decent OA for cheap (Bulitka for player+3rd+8th) but you're not getting an elite OA for cheap (even in a year where the OA market was super flooded, Brandon Saigeon still cost 2 2nds+3rd) and barrie needs more than a decent OA to become a contender

4th rounders don't hold much value when comparing them 2nds/3rds. A 4th rounder gets you Peter Stratis, who was a 2nd pair guy on the worst defensive team in the league last season

two years ago in a tighter OA market, Gens, ‘67s, Storm paid 3-2nds or 2-2nds & 3rd; last season when the OA market had excess, most contending teams had no real want for OA, so Phillips went for 2, 3, 4 and Hudson a 4tb, Wilms 2, 4. I expect this coming season will have as much or more excess OA as last season.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
OHL insiders is doing a live stream and is going through what he's heard and who linked to each team. He did the first 12 (Gens are 13):
1- NB: Nelson
2- NIA: Fimis
3- SAR: Namestnikov
4- SOO: Goyette
5- KGN: Ludwinski or Guindon
6- HAM: McCoy or Donovan
7- MISS: Fantilli or Lavoie
8- ER: Sova
9- BAR: Haight or McConnell-Barker
10- OS: McConnell-Barker or Haight
11- SBY: Delic
12- GUE: Fantilli if still there

In this, Dalyn Wakely would potentially still be there at 13 for the Gens. That would be great imo. He would be in high demand come the trade deadline. I thought he'd be top 6 overall

Brock Otten just tweeted his mock first round and he has Wakely going to the Gens. That’d be unreal but I don’t see how it’d happen. In a draft with so much uncertainly, he’s close to as sure of a thing as there is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad