Oshawa Generals 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I feel like you're not understanding the conversation. I'm not saying he's the next Phil Tomasino. I'm saying its shocking that not one other team scouted him.

Even if the numbers you're saying are accurate and whatever website says he's a 4th-6th rounder, well the OHL draft has 15 rounds. So why did none of the other teams scout this kid even if they were planning on taking him in the 7th round? Not one team reached out to his agent, his dad or him but the Gens to see what his plans were going forward (i.e. NCAA or OHL). That's my point about how areas like Florida aren't heavily scouted unless it's for the USNTDP kids like Seamus Casey

the Florida alliance is scouted heavily. Even NB made it one of their selections a year ago.

Reactions: NOA

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Because he’s located in Florida??? And again he’s a mid round pick in terms of his rating. For most teams or scouts, they scout him and see a 5-9th round prospect. As someone who lives in and plays in Florida, that’s a lot to recruit for a mid round player who still can consider college.. which he might end up going if he doesn’t make the OHL in 1/2 years and gets some decent D1 looks. But appears as of now, he doesn’t even have D1 offers so of course he’s interested in the Generals now but that could easily change if he develops and gets later looks for US schools

Imo it comes down to there being 150-200 Canadian and US players that you could argue are all mid round (5-10th round) picks. Scouts on each team will focus in on their guys or who they like from there. To put heavy recruit time in a mid round talent from Florida is going to be rightfully ignored by 99% of teams

Unless you’re going 100 picks between selections like the Gens did

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Which was sort of my entire point. They needed to try to scout a few players they felt they could actually target and get in the late round since they had no early picks. A good chunk of their attraction to that prospect was that nobody else was looking his way, ensuring they wouldn’t waste their time on a player that another would take. Part of the strategy.. which btw every team uses

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
the Florida alliance is scouted heavily. Even NB made it one of their selections a year ago.

From that entire league, only 2 non-USNTDP players were taken and 1 of those 2 players said only one team talked to him, his dad or his agent about being interested in him. You'd consider that "heavily scouted"? We have different definitions of the term I guess

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017

It's cyclical. In 3 years when the Gens sell off and are in a rebuild then they'll own a bunch of picks in the 2nd/3rd/4th rounds lol. I'll take being one of the best teams in the league next year when it's all said and done even if it means having a boring 2 hours on a Saturday while the 2nd-5th rounds happen lol. Seems like a fair tradeoff....

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It's cyclical. In 3 years when the Gens sell off and are in a rebuild then they'll own a bunch of picks in the 2nd/3rd/4th rounds lol. I'll take being one of the best teams in the league next year when it's all said and done even if it means having a boring 2 hours on a Saturday while the 2nd-5th rounds happen lol. Seems like a fair tradeoff....

We were discussing the Gens focusing on players that might be available after 100 this year, not 2-3 years from now when the Gens might have some picks, lol.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
We were discussing the Gens focusing on players that might be available after 100 this year, not 2-3 years from now when the Gens might have some picks, lol.

Careful, if you talk about what you actually meant in an original convo around your Erie friend, he'll lose his mind and fire insults at you for the next 10 posts hoping one will stick :laugh:

Unlike some on here though you genuinely seem curious about certain things so if you'd like to discuss the Florida market in terms of the OHL draft further, feel free to DM me. Otherwise I think this convo has run its course lol.

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
A little more input. In the last 10 years the Gens have only dated 3-4 players who made the team and , only 1-2 of them have played significant time on the ice or have had an impact. But, then again, what team has?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
A little more input. In the last 10 years the Gens have only drafted 3-4 players in rounds 10 and beyond who made the team and , only 1-2 of them have played significant time on the ice or have had an impact. But, then again, what team has?

If you draft well in the first 5 rounds, it doesn't leave space open for 10th+ rounders to make the team.

In 2010 Roger Hunt became the director of player development and in the 10 drafts since then, the Gens have drafted 45 players in rounds 1-5 and 37 of them have played in the OHL or were used to trade for Tomasino/Mistele. That's a 82.2% success rate in rounds 1-5 under Hunt.

2019: 3/3
2018: 4/5 (the one that didn't sign they used to trade for Tomasino, so 5/5 they've gotten value out of)
2017: 3/5
2016: 5/7
2015: 3/3
2014: 3/4
2013: 3/5 (one of the 2 that didn't was Chase Pearson who they traded for Mistele, so 4/5 they've gotten value out of)
2012: 3/3
2011: 4/5
2010: 4/5

And Castle will be on the team this year so that'll make it a 82.6% (38/46) success rate after the 2020 draft

Last edited:

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
Not critiquing Roger's drafts at all. This is to support my comment on draft day when I said I would not be watching the draft after Round 1 as they had no picks until round 6 and players after Round 5 seldom make the team. Richard might prove to be an exception.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Not critiquing Roger's drafts at all. This is to support my comment on draft day when I said I would not be watching the draft after Round 1 as they had no picks until round 6 and players after Round 5 seldom make the team. Richard might prove to be an exception.

No I know. I'm more speaking to when NOA randomly was trying to use that as a criticism. But if you're adding 82% of your first 5 round picks every draft like Roger has been over the last decade, that's like 3-4 players every year, then you add in a couple trades and now you're close to your 18 man roster and don't have much room for late round picks other than your Jesus, Smereck or Carlile type guys.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
No I know. I'm more speaking to when NOA randomly was trying to use that as a criticism. But if you're adding 82% of your first 5 round picks every draft like Roger has been over the last decade, that's like 3-4 players every year, then you add in a couple trades and now you're close to your 18 man roster and don't have much room for late round picks other than your Jesus, Smereck or Carlile type guys.
Actually, if you had players in rounds 6-15 that were actual OHL talents, you would not need to make as many trades for players as you do. So you mean to tell me 6-15 rounds just don’t matter? That those players simply aren’t in the league because you “don’t have much room”? That’s incredibly wrong and ignorant of facts. If those players were good enough they would try to sign them and at the very least trade them for more assets (see what London does). Don’t make it seem like your “amazing” success rate in rounds 1-5 is what stops your team from having later round picks play in the OHL

The reality is that rounds 1-5 are most successful for every single organization. Virtually every team has a 70-85% success rate in those rounds. The lower end of that success rate is due to teams taking chances on elite American talent that doesn’t end up signing. The Gens appear to take few Americans and rarely sway and sign D1 commits. So their 1-5 round picks are largely used on OHL committed players, contributing to their “normal” success rate when compared to the rest of the OHL.

To say you don’t need or don’t have room for 6-15 round players is ludicrous. If the Gens drafted good players in those rounds, they would sign them and have them in the league. Certainly would make more sense than needing to trade for pure depth pieces in Whittaker, Stepien, and Winterton. They have to trade for those players though because their depth drafting has been poor, particularly the last 5 years.

Reactions: OttersFan

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Gens are off to the virtual OHL finals against Flint

Brett Harrison has 23 points in 16 playoff games to lead the playoffs while Allan McShane has 22 points in the 16 games

Should provide great playoff experience for Harrison going into his sophomore season:naughty:

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
Actually, if you had players in rounds 6-15 that were actual OHL talents, you would not need to make as many trades for players as you do. So you mean to tell me 6-15 rounds just don’t matter? That those players simply aren’t in the league because you “don’t have much room”? That’s incredibly wrong and ignorant of facts. If those players were good enough they would try to sign them and at the very least trade them for more assets (see what London does). Don’t make it seem like your “amazing” success rate in rounds 1-5 is what stops your team from having later round picks play in the OHL

The reality is that rounds 1-5 are most successful for every single organization. Virtually every team has a 70-85% success rate in those rounds. The lower end of that success rate is due to teams taking chances on elite American talent that doesn’t end up signing. The Gens appear to take few Americans and rarely sway and sign D1 commits. So their 1-5 round picks are largely used on OHL committed players, contributing to their “normal” success rate when compared to the rest of the OHL.

To say you don’t need or don’t have room for 6-15 round players is ludicrous. If the Gens drafted good players in those rounds, they would sign them and have them in the league. Certainly would make more sense than needing to trade for pure depth pieces in Whittaker, Stepien, and Winterton. They have to trade for those players though because their depth drafting has been poor, particularly the last 5 years.
Boring. Please move along please I beg you. You don’t have a horse in this race so why do you care so much? Ignore that as a question thx

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Boring. Please move along please I beg you. You don’t have a horse in this race so why do you care so much? Ignore that as a question thx

I don't see the post you're replying to so I can only assume who it is you're talking to but I think I have a good idea... Since you engaged they'll now obsessively try to get you to take part in a 100 post back and forth on semantics with them moving the goal posts every other post. Learn from my mistakes and don't fall for it haha :ha:

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
I don't see the post you're replying to so I can only assume who it is you're talking to but I think I have a good idea... Since you engaged they'll now obsessively try to get you to take part in a 100 post back and forth on semantics with them moving the goal posts every other post. Learn from my mistakes and don't fall for it haha :ha:
Hahaha. Well the funny thing is the only time he comes on here is to try to get you going but it’s just circles and ridiculously annoying. Let’s just say he wins and everyone move on. The Gens whole organization of like 100 years is terrible and they haven’t won the most championships and Memorial Cups of any CHL franchise they can’t draft coach develop. They should really just fold.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Hahaha. Well the funny thing is the only time he comes on here is to try to get you going but it’s just circles and ridiculously annoying. Let’s just say he wins and everyone move on. The Gens whole organization of like 100 years is terrible and they haven’t won the most championships and Memorial Cups of any CHL franchise they can’t draft coach develop. They should really just fold.

It's weird because half the time it seems to be for actual conversation (like the last time when they came on about the Drysdale post) and then you'll randomly get the one like this time where they're clearly just looking to fight with anyone and everyone who will engage. I personally don't get it but whatever. We need the OHL to open the trading window so we at least have something to talk about lol

Reactions: Nerf27

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
It's weird because half the time it seems to be for actual conversation (like the last time when they came on about the Drysdale post) and then you'll randomly get the one like this time where they're clearly just looking to fight with anyone and everyone who will engage. I personally don't get it but whatever. We need the OHL to open the trading window so we at least have something to talk about lol
Can we both stop losing our cool and as our Prime minister says speak moistly. Cheers

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Can we both stop losing our cool and as our Prime minister says speak moistly. Cheers

Haha. But back to the hockey talk (sorry NewsOtters), I stumbled across this last night and was blown away. Nando Eggenberger had 1 point this season in 43 games across 3 different leagues... 19 games, 0 points in NLA (and he was an assistant captain) then 4 games with no points in NLB, then looks like he got traded and finished the year with a different team in NLA and only got 1 point in 20 games. I know that's the Swiss mens league and it's pretty good but that is very surprising to me

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Game 3 of the 2015 Memorial Cup is on Rogers tonight at 7pm. A win would send the Gens to the final...

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Oshawa drafts well but sometimes they draft favours and who knows this kid may have been a favour? Mike Kelly knows talent and if not a favour, then I am sure the kid could play.

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Oshawa drafts well but sometimes they draft favours and who knows this kid may have been a favour? Mike Kelly knows talent and if not a favour, then I am sure the kid could play. Next year they should host the Mem Cup and thus no player from their draft will make the squad. Castle will be a trade bait to another team for an older stud. Rumour is that he is part of a pending Niagara deal.

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
I agree with you 'favour' terminology. I can't stretch my imagination enough to figure who this could be a favour to, so hoping he might be a keeper in a couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad