Oshawa Generals 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whatanathol

Jul 27, 2018
Oshawa
Carson Chrity to Missy. Short drive for the supporters of local home grown talent. Unfortunately both are trending at the same year, which brings doubt into whether a future trade is likely in 2023 or 24

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Close to a perfect situation for both Christy and Poole

Christy to MISS at 38, who will be all-in next year and then rebuilding so in 2 years he'll be in their top 6 for his NHL draft year.

Poole to KGN at 54, who will be very, very good in a couple years and he'll be right in the middle of their top 9 by then

Whatanathol

Jul 27, 2018
Oshawa
(re Castle) True to form in recent draft history, Gens take a player with heart, hockey IQ, two ability, shot, but lacking in pure speed. Tullio, Brewer, Harry, Antro all fall into this area as need for improvement. Of the 4, two have pro aspirations. Hunt sticking with 1st rd draft history selection. Time will tell. Congrats to Castle! Great organization and devoted fan base. :)

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
(re Castle) True to form in recent draft history, Gens take a player with heart, hockey IQ, two ability, shot, but lacking in pure speed. Tullio, Brewer, Harry, Antro all fall into this area as need for improvement. Of the 4, two have pro aspirations. Hunt sticking with 1st rd draft history selection. Time will tell. Congrats to Castle! Great organization and devoted fan base. :)

Don't agree with that scouting report on Castle. One of his biggest strengths is his speed

Whatanathol

Jul 27, 2018
Oshawa
A departure from the norm if the case as it relates OHL. Even better for Gens Nation if the case at next level.

Query when the announcement re M Cup is coming in light of cancelled season.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
If anyone is wondering how Aidan Castle will look in a Gens jersey, I have your answer already.... lol

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Gens take Jake Richard in the 6th. He had 49 points in 10 games in his US high school league this year and had 38 points in 12 games in his NAPHL 15U league in Florida lol. Never heard of him though, being from Florida.

Gens take Oshawa minor midget's Blake Smith in round 7. His dad is Derek Smith, former NHLer and future OHL coach I bet. He coached the Oshawa team this year

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Christian Kocsis taken in the 7th. Had 100 points (49G/51A) in 55 games for Honeybaked last year. Many were surprised he got cut from USNTDP last week. He's not committed NCAA either

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Ethan Best in the 10th. Prospect Pipeline had him has the 45th ranked Canadian prospect and the Gens got him at 173. Legit potential for him to be a shutdown Dman in a couple years. He's already 6'2/205 and just turned 16

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Ethan Best in the 10th. Prospect Pipeline had him has the 45th ranked Canadian prospect and the Gens got him at 173. Legit potential for him to be a shutdown Dman in a couple years. He's already 6'2/205 and just turned 16
And Ethan has hockey bloodlines Mike Fisher, is his cousin. He has two other relatives who have also played in the NHL --Jim Peplinkski who was a captain on the Calgary Flames and Rodney Schutt,Pittsburgh penguins.

Reactions: The Little General

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
My thoughts on each pick:
13- F Aidan Castle
Speed for days. He's a winger but can play both sides, which he did for TJC this year. Unfortunately probably won't finish the season with the Gens but will be fun to watch in the 1st half and should have the Gens in position to get whoever because other teams will want him.
113- F Jake Richard
Don't know anything about him since he's from Florida but put up video games stats. In his high school league he had 49 points in 10 games and in his rep league he had 38 points in 12 games (16 more than the guy in 2nd). He led both those leagues in scoring and is already good size at 5'11/165. Interested to see what comes from that.
121- D Blake Smith
Oshawa native and assistant captain of the minor midget team. Big kid (6'2/195) and his dad is Derrick Smith, former NHLer and future OHL coach. The question will be his offensive upside, but even if that doesn't develop, he can be a shutdown defensive D-man type in a few years. He'll need a year or two of Jr A though before being ready I think.
133- F Christian Kocsis
Other than Castle, this is the pick I'm the most excited about. He had 100 points in 55 games last year (49G/51A) for Honeybaked. Many thought he would make the USNTDP but got cut last week and isn't committed to any NCAA school. Since being drafted he's been all over his instagram saying how excited he is to be drafted by the Gens and it seem like he wants to play here.
159- F Brayden Bowen
Another kid who I wasn't able to see this year because he played in Cornwall and there was no OHL Cup but sounds like he's another good skater who got better as the season went along.
173- D Ethan Best
A very intriguing pick because I'm shocked he was still there at 173. Prospect Pipeline ranked him 45th for Canadian players and somehow falls all the way to 173. He could be the big steal for the Gens of this draft. Another big D-man (6'2/215).
193- D Ryan O'Dell
Big bodied D-man (6'3/155) who has a pretty solid defensive game, like Blake Smith the question will be whether or not the offensive game came take another step.
223- F Luke Torrance
The 3rd member of Oshawa's top line with Christy/Poole. He really came into his own as the season went on and I think there's a legit chance he can play in the OHL after a year of Jr A. Big body kid who plays well down low and can finish in tight.
233- F Callum Arnott
Depth forward for the Marlies. Is he related to Gens alumni Jason Arnott?
253- F James Taylor
Huge kid (6'5/205) from Ottawa. Taking a chance he'll grown into his body and be a physical force I assume. Never seen him play.
273- G Adam Ricci
One of the better goalies in the GTHL, was ranked 17th for Canadian goalies by Ryan McArthur.
286- F Logan Cuvo
I'll admit I don't know anything about him other than he's a 6'4/205 15 year old from Pennsylvania. He posted on IG that he's excited to get drafted by the Gens and Kocsis commented on it saying he can't wait for them to be teammates, so that's a good sign on both.
293- D Jake Andersen
Don't have anything on him.

Reactions: Nerf27

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I'm so much more calm watching the 2015 Mem Cup on Rogers right now than live in 2015.... lol

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Anyone have a scouting report on Whitby Wildcats goalie Nolan Dunn?

Edit: or Petes MM center Jackson Ryan?

Last edited:

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
If Byfield came back and you guys had the Memorial cup, would you try and acquire him and if so what do you think the deal would be?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Anyone have a scouting report on Whitby Wildcats goalie Nolan Dunn?

Edit: or Petes MM center Jackson Ryan?

Dunn was Whitby’s backup goalie but has good size at 6’2/170. I only saw him in net twice, it was usually Ballantyne when I was there, and the two games I saw him they beat North Central 9-1 and beat Barrie 8-2 and both times he only had like 10 shots against so hard to say

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
Where are the Gennies picks from the Draft. The Gens home page said they would be listed (summarized) today. Typical!

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
Thanks, HockeyPops, but I knew that. I was referring to a write -up that was on the Gens site on Saturday which said there would be a detailed bit of info on each draft pick on the Gens home page on Monday.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
If Byfield came back and you guys had the Memorial cup, would you try and acquire him and if so what do you think the deal would be?

One would think that if Oshawa had a notion to trade for Byfield should he return, talks could’ve or should've already been underway with Sudbury before the bid presentations were submitted. That way, they could’ve had as part of their bid, a conditional deal in place to be presented to the selection committee that had Byfield coming to Oshawa should they be awarded the hosting duties.

Then, stipulations of the deal would be such that it will be made public upon Oshawa being awarded the Memorial Cup and conditions taken off the picks once he plays one game in the OHL next year.

Reactions: Whatanathol

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
One would think that if Oshawa had a notion to trade for Byfield should he return, talks could’ve or should've already been underway with Sudbury before the bid presentations were submitted. That way, they could’ve had as part of their bid, a conditional deal in place to be presented to the selection committee that had Byfield coming to Oshawa should they be awarded the hosting duties.

Then, stipulations of the deal would be such that it will be made public upon Oshawa being awarded the Memorial Cup and conditions taken off the picks once he plays one game in the OHL next year.

This trade is all hypothetically, as there won't be a next season or Memorial cup this covid-19 is not going anywhere fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad