Oshawa Generals 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OshawaFan2018

Nov 26, 2018
Okay gotcha. Yeah not bad then, and I still think Propp will be okay, he was usually pretty good for NB.

But when you look back at Hunt's history, goaltending really seems to be his biggest strongsuit. He got Keyser for only a 2nd, MacLean for only a 5th, drafted Appleby in the 2nd round, and also traded for Altshuller who was an elite goalie for them

Is Paputsakis no longer in the Generals plans ? He’s played one game so far. He didn’t look to bad considering that he didn’t play any exhibition games due to I gather an injury

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Is Paputsakis no longer in the Generals plans ? He’s played one game so far. He didn’t look to bad considering that he didn’t play any exhibition games due to I gather an injury

Surely they plan on having him on the team for the next 2 years. If/when MacLean falters then they'll give him a chance to run with the job I'm sure. But for however long MacLean keeps up this play for, he'll stay in the net

OshawaFan2018

Nov 26, 2018
Surely they plan on having him on the team for the next 2 years. If/when MacLean falters then they'll give him a chance to run with the job I'm sure. But for however long MacLean keeps up this play for, he'll stay in the net

Goalie management is key the development of a goalie. sitting on the bench can be detrimental. Look at 67s last year DiPietro went down and Andre who had sat out could not handle the workload

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Goalie management is key the development of a goalie. sitting on the bench can be detrimental. Look at 67s last year DiPietro went down and Andre who had sat out could not handle the workload
Appleby spent 2 years as a back up. Played 18 games his first year and then 24 the next. Still gotta remember that this is Paps first season in the league. It’s still fairly early into this season too. I’m sure he’ll get a fair workload.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
But there were a couple of games that we all thought Paputsakis was going to play but didn't,makes you think why not :huh:

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
But there were a couple of games that we all thought Paputsakis was going to play but didn't,makes you think why not :huh:

I wanna say they’ll give Paps the Sarnia game this week, but we play Friday and Sunday. MacLean could end up playing both again.

OshawaFan2018

Nov 26, 2018
I wanna say they’ll give Paps the Sarnia game this week, but we play Friday and Sunday. MacLean could end up playing both again.

sitting on bench is not conducive to a goalie’s development. From what everyone has said about paputsakis is that he’s won everywhere he’s played.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
sitting on bench is not conducive to a goalie’s development. From what everyone has said about paputsakis is that he’s won everywhere he’s played.

But MacLean is 8-0-0 with a .911 save % and they're the same age. Not saying that means Pap should never get starts, but one guy has clearly run with the starters job so they've been riding the hot hand to the best start in franchise history.

I personally do think Pap has the potential to be a really good OHL goalie, but I can see why he hasn't really got a shot yet. But his chance will come

Reactions: Nerf27

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Well if the plan is for Oshawa to bid for the M cup next year, the players are making it really hard on Hunt to have a minor sell off this year. Knew Oshawa would be good but did not expect such a stellar start. If they keep it up Oshawa will have to go all in this year or Hunt will alienate his players.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Well if the plan is for Oshawa to bid for the M cup next year, the players are making it really hard on Hunt to have a minor sell off this year. Knew Oshawa would be good but did not expect such a stellar start. If they keep it up Oshawa will have to go all in this year or Hunt will alienate his players.

They're in almost the exact same position they were in last year (one of the better teams but might not be good enough to win it all without adding big), so under that logic, he alienated his players last year? The 9-0-0-0 record and #1 seed in the country would suggest otherwise

The players and Hunt aren't stupid. No matter who the best team in the country is, they have at best what a 30, 40% chance of getting to the Memorial Cup? But Kelowna has a 100% chance

If you have a legit chance to host, you'd be an idiot to throw that away for a 30/40% chance at best

But Hunt does have a unique opportunity where he can add cheaply/smartly or add 2 year guys and then he gets a legit run 3 years in a row, with the final year (hopefully) being a guaranteed birth to the Mem Cup.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
They're in almost the exact same position they were in last year (one of the better teams but might not be good enough to win it all without adding big), so under that logic, he alienated his players last year? The 9-0-0-0 record and #1 seed in the country would suggest otherwise

The players and Hunt aren't stupid. No matter who the best team in the country is, they have at best what a 30, 40% chance of getting to the Memorial Cup? But Kelowna has a 100% chance

If you have a legit chance to host, you'd be an idiot to throw that away for a 30/40% chance at best

But Hunt does have a unique opportunity where he can add cheaply/smartly or add 2 year guys and then he gets a legit run 3 years in a row, with the final year (hopefully) being a guaranteed birth to the Mem Cup.
I was not talking about last year, different scenario. Oshawa was not the front runner last year and Hunt made the decision to tweak his roster with an eye on the next two years. He did a great job as his team was arguably better post deadline. All I'm saying is if the rumors are true and the aim is an m-cup bid well you have to be careful. Lets say you're a player on a team that't 30-10 at the deadline and top 5 in the country. Then your GM trades for next year or stands pat on a lot of assets while other teams load up. What message does that send the team?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I was not talking about last year, different scenario. Oshawa was not the front runner last year and Hunt made the decision to tweak his roster with an eye on the next two years. He did a great job as his team was arguably better post deadline. All I'm saying is if the rumors are true and the aim is an m-cup bid well you have to be careful. Lets say you're a player on a team that't 30-10 at the deadline and top 5 in the country. Then your GM trades for next year or stands pat on a lot of assets while other teams load up. What message does that send the team?

It sends the message that we think we have a very good shot at hosting the Memorial Cup next season in Oshawa

But even if Hunt decides to relatively stand pat, the Gens roster is already good enough where they can at least compete with everyone. Maybe they won't be the favourites and maybe they won't win, but they can compete. I still expect moves like the Neumann move last year though for 2 year guys. It makes perfect sense now with a potential Mem Cup team in back to back years

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
What is taking so long for Daniel Walker suspension it's Oct 16th over 2 weeks since the hit on Ryan Humphrey, and still TBA
it's not like Ryan Humphrey was carried off on a stretcher or in the hospital (that I know of) or missed any games.
the OHL is starting to be a joke lead by the king clown Branch:popcorn:

ForestCityHky

Feb 15, 2018
Didn’t MacLean play his AAA in Sarnia? Have to think he’d want that start. Maybe management has other plans

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
What is taking so long for Daniel Walker suspension it's Oct 16th over 2 weeks since the hit on Ryan Humphrey, and still TBA
it's not like Ryan Humphrey was carried off on a stretcher or in the hospital (that I know of) or missed any games.
the OHL is starting to be a joke lead by the king clown Branch:popcorn:

It's been so long that the guy he hit, Ryan Humphrey, also has been suspended in the time that's passed since the hit lol. He got ejected for a slewfoot on Monday

reeno

Sep 22, 2017
I have a feeling that they are looking at Walker for the actions against Bertuzzi more than for the hit on Humphrey. It's likely to be lengthy given the time it has taken to rule on it.

Reactions: OshawaFan2018

Whatanathol

Jul 27, 2018
Oshawa
Any thoughts on whether Noel / McShane will miss Genee home game(s) as a result of their respective Nov 7 / 11 commitment?

Noel scheduled to play both Can/Rus games.

Lot of travel over a 5 day period. 4 games (OTT on the road and Kit at home) in 5 nights

thanks.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Any thoughts on whether Noel / McShane will miss Genee home game(s) as a result of their respective Nov 7 / 11 commitment?

Noel scheduled to play both Can/Rus games.

Lot of travel over a 5 day period. 4 games (OTT on the road and Kit at home) in 5 nights

thanks.

McShane won't for sure. Only potential one is Noel having to go from Nov 7 in Kitchener to Nov 8 in Ottawa, but it's a night game so I'd assume he won't miss any either.

Shocked Vallati wasn't named. He was on it last year, but is out this year. Ryan Merkley named though since he now plays for the WJ head coach and GM in London

Reactions: Whatanathol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad