Oshawa Generals 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
Throw terrible goaltending into that mix.
You can blame goaltending all you want but how about we blame the entire team on discipline and poor special teams. Gens went 3/6 on PP and 6/7 on PK. I know the goaltender didn't cause all those penalties so maybe the team should do a better job of securing a win instead of just putting the whole game on 1 players shoulders.

Reactions: dirty12

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
You can blame goaltending all you want but how about we blame the entire team on discipline and poor special teams. Gens went 3/6 on PP and 6/7 on PK. I know the goaltender didn't cause all those penalties so maybe the team should do a better job of securing a win instead of just putting the whole game on 1 players shoulders.

Yeah Purboo obviously wasn't good, but the Carson turnover was really bad, especially from your captain. Loponen letting MacLean dangle him like that and having to grab onto him with 2 minutes left in a tie game for that PP was bad, although he did have 2 goals in the game. And Chase Stillman letting David Jesus rope him in to matching minors with SBY up by 1 in the final 5 minutes was a rookie mistake from Stillman. The last thing you want to do when you're in the last 5 minutes against a very fast team like the Gens is to go down to 4-on-4 and open up more space for everyone when trying to sit on a lead. And the PP going 1/7 is tough when having as many skilled guys as SBY does (Byfield/Levin/Murray/Thompson etc). Certainly wasn't just Purboo's fault

I will say though, Jack Thompson is already getting there, but he's going to be a legit stud in this league. I really liked him in Clarington but didn't know if it would fully translate to the OHL but boy is it ever. Him and O'Rourke I love to watch play defence

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
How about the Generals are a really good team and can put the puck in the net when they decide to play. It’s not a good habit to keep playing 3rd periods only but it is only 9 games in so I expect that to get better. It’s also not a bad thing to face adversity to build character. Good comeback thought this one was done and I was ok with that. But will gladly take the W.

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
Also, not too often to you see a goalie get pulled, goal gets called back but stays out the rest of the period and then starts the 3rd period for a comeback win. The faith the coaching staff showed in Maclean will be a huge confidence boost for him I think.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
This is true..but the goalie has to make a save.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
If the Wolves get goaltending watch out. Nuff said. They can play with you.. You guys have a great team man, no denying that..Obviously a little disappointing. Anyway it will be fun this year.

Who are they going to get? Hunter Jones, Cedrick Andree and Anthony Popovich are the only proven goalies in the OHL who are also doing good right now and none of them will be available at any point this season. They'd just be getting a different Christian Purboo (a guy who has potential but hasn't shown he's a legit starting goalie yet) and hoping he plays well, like the Gens did with MacLean

Getting Dichow to report would really be the only way to get a legit goalie without just taking a shot at an unknown and hoping he plays well. But Dichow seems to be getting full time minutes in the SuperElit league in Sweden

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthernVoice

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Agree on all points. Wonder if they lean towards 8-10 because of reputation
I come in peace, I swear...

The 'indefinite' suspension in this case seems strange. The offense isn't that egregious. Obviously Walker's history is a factor, and with Maclean coming back, it seems pretty obvious Walker doesn't have a short or long term future in Oshawa, or probably in the OHL at all. I'm sure they'll announce a suspension at some point but kind of feels like they're just waiting for him to go away (to tier 2 or Canadian University or wherever...) otherwise, there isn't really much reason for the extended delay/indefinite suspension, is there?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I come in peace, I swear...

The 'indefinite' suspension in this case seems strange. The offense isn't that egregious. Obviously Walker's history is a factor, and with Maclean coming back, it seems pretty obvious Walker doesn't have a short or long term future in Oshawa, or probably in the OHL at all. I'm sure they'll announce a suspension at some point but kind of feels like they're just waiting for him to go away (to tier 2 or Canadian University or wherever...) otherwise, there isn't really much reason for the extended delay/indefinite suspension, is there?

Apparently he had a meeting with Branch during this NB/SBY road trip and that's why it's been "indefinite" until they had the meeting. But then the league office is closed on the weekends so I guess there will be no word until Monday?

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Who are they going to get? Hunter Jones, Cedrick Andree and Anthony Popovich are the only proven goalies in the OHL who are also doing good right now and none of them will be available at any point this season. They'd just be getting a different Christian Purboo (a guy who has potential but hasn't shown he's a legit starting goalie yet) and hoping he plays well, like the Gens did with MacLean

Getting Dichow to report would really be the only way to get a legit goalie without just taking a shot at an unknown and hoping he plays well. But Dichow seems to be getting full time minutes in the SuperElit league in Sweden
Right I was talking about that with someone in the know. I suggested Papineau keep tabs all year. You figure if the Wolves excel you never know, he may report. By the way updates my friend you do realize that these cogent and insightful posts are made after most beer and quality medicine to flatten the ordinary person? Just saying :) I must say I have noticed a difference in your posts and for the better. You are simply using your considerable intellect the right way, not to mention overall hockey knowledge in terms of diff leagues etc which I could but don’t follow. Anyway Updates :) We both share the same passion and I respect you as a poster. You’ve been cool this year...let’s just say most of Sudbury knows me. C’mon some time for a beer or two. Let’s not fight for stupidity.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Apparently he had a meeting with Branch during this NB/SBY road trip and that's why it's been "indefinite" until they had the meeting. But then the league office is closed on the weekends so I guess there will be no word until Monday?
Do you think he's played his last game with the Gens, or no?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Do you think he's played his last game with the Gens, or no?

Honestly no idea. This is who he's always been so there's no way they're shocked he's doing dumb plays and putting the team in a bad spot too often. But at the same time they weren't expecting MacLean back and I'm sure that changed a lot.

I've said it before but it's one thing when Walker is top 9 and you have like 5 rookies in the lineup and he's out there giving them space and making them feel comfortable. But now when he's 4th line, never on the PP or PK, which is how it would be going forward, then it doesn't work. OA is always the cheapest way to add significantly so hopefully they get rid of both Walker and Resnick, add a top 9 OA F and then I'm very happy with the entire roster for the rest of the season, assuming you can't get a Kaliyev/Tomasino type guy

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Right I was talking about that with someone in the know. I suggested Papineau keep tabs all year. You figure if the Wolves excel you never know, he may report. By the way updates my friend you do realize that these cogent and insightful posts are made after most beer and quality medicine to flatten the ordinary person? Just saying :) I must say I have noticed a difference in your posts and for the better. You are simply using your considerable intellect the right way, not to mention overall hockey knowledge in terms of diff leagues etc which I could but don’t follow. Anyway Updates :) We both share the same passion and I respect you as a poster. You’ve been cool this year...let’s just say most of Sudbury knows me. C’mon some time for a beer or two. Let’s not fight for stupidity.

I'm usually good for 1 Sudbury trip per year. Might make my way up for the Nov 15/16 games @ SBY then @ SSM. Although very well could be an OSH vs SBY playoff series, in which case I would definitely be there

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Yeah Purboo obviously wasn't good, but the Carson turnover was really bad, especially from your captain. Loponen letting MacLean dangle him like that and having to grab onto him with 2 minutes left in a tie game for that PP was bad, although he did have 2 goals in the game. And Chase Stillman letting David Jesus rope him in to matching minors with SBY up by 1 in the final 5 minutes was a rookie mistake from Stillman. The last thing you want to do when you're in the last 5 minutes against a very fast team like the Gens is to go down to 4-on-4 and open up more space for everyone when trying to sit on a lead. And the PP going 1/7 is tough when having as many skilled guys as SBY does (Byfield/Levin/Murray/Thompson etc). Certainly wasn't just Purboo's fault

I will say though, Jack Thompson is already getting there, but he's going to be a legit stud in this league. I really liked him in Clarington but didn't know if it would fully translate to the OHL but boy is it ever. Him and O'Rourke I love to watch play defence
Good points but don’t you think Purboo could have made the save? How many times did the Wolves likely find themselves in several similar positions but no one talked about it because Ukko bailed them out. Gaoaltending!! It’s everything..your foundation. By the way my Gennie friends, you’re almost as faked as we are in net. You know it updates, ain’t solid in net, no one proven. Again man, admit we should have won this game...if you watched it.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I'm usually good for 1 Sudbury trip per year. Might make my way up for the Nov 15/16 games @ SBY then @ SSM. Although very well could be an OSH vs SBY playoff series, in which case I would definitely be there
Well despite our differences in the past, let me know if you come up and we’ll work it out to meet up and have a chat our about our absolute passion...our boys. Anyway, I got to play some tunes and hits the hay soon. Cheers, you would have like to see tonight’s game live. Looked like two of the elite teams in the conference ,
Man. Goodnight bro. Back to music, which I really rock at :)

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Good points but don’t you think Purboo could have made the save? How many times did the Wolves likely find themselves in several similar positions but no one talked about it because Ukko bailed them out. Gaoaltending!! It’s everything..your foundation. By the way my Gennie friends, you’re almost as faked as we are in net. You know it updates, ain’t solid in net, no one proven. Again man, admit we should have won this game...if you watched it.
Thing is, Oshawa did win. And their unproven option in net is vastly outperforming Sudbury's unproven option in net by any measure so far.

Reactions: gensfan2k2

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017

Oh 100%. Purboo was very bad in this game and Sudbury deserved to win. They outplayed the Gens for 50 minutes straight to start the game. I'm just saying that the Carson turnover for a goal, Loponen turnover for a PP which lead to a goal etc was also very bad.

Don't know if I'd say the Gens are in the same goaltending boat as NB. MacLean is now 8-0-0 with a .911 save % and is looking very good most nights. He wasn't great tonight but he was above average and made the big save when the team needed it, which I see many on the SBY thread saying Purboo doesn't do. Obviously he's not Kyle Keyser or a guy who's going to stand on his head every night, but he's been playing as a top 5 goaltender through his first 8 games which is a huge success for the Gens considering he had never even been a starter in the OHL before this year

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013

Lazy penalties and poor P.K. doesn’t help but two average stops would have killed Oshawa’s momentum. This isn’t a new thing with Purboo. He had to be pulled against Peterborough for the same thing. Eight games in and the goalie had to be changed four times. Safe to say goaltending needed.

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
Looking forward to big game next weekend vs the Petes. Should be a good one.
I bet the 50/50 will be big too :D

Olden

Nov 25, 2018
Brutal have to wait so long. That hit was a body check. He cant help hes 6 5. Buddy he hit was a midget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad