Oshawa Generals 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
I am making the trip down to Oshawa for tonight’s game and looking forward to a very good game.

Where do you recommend as the best place to watch the end of the Leafs/Bruins game near the arena?
Wendel Clark’s at the Holiday Inn on Simcoe Street. Within walking and you support one of your boys. Closer is Rileys Pub straight up Mary Street beside the Parking Garage on King St. Don’t go to Wing Addict. Terrible service
Enjoy. Should be a good game until the third :)

Last edited:
Reactions: BarberPole9

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
updates... you think Pap is ahead of Schell even without Jr.A experience which Schell has? Only prep in lower tier in Ottawa area and a prep.school seems a little light.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
updates... you think Pap is ahead of Schell even without Jr.A experience which Schell has? Only prep in lower tier in Ottawa area and a prep.school seems a little light.

I’ll be honest, I don’t have a good grasp of Schell’s game at all. Today was the only time I’ve ever seen him live and he struggled. I’ve been a big fan of Paputsakis for 2 straight years at Gens camp and he’s dominated in both leagues he’s been in the last 2 years. If the Gens plan on being good next year, Import goalie as the starter and Pap as the backup would be the best bet. But if the plan is get ready for the Mem Cup 2021 year/bid, then I could see why you’d go Pap as the starter and Schell/Sbrocca as the backup to get them ready for the following year

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I’ll be honest, I don’t have a good grasp of Schell’s game at all. Today was the only time I’ve ever seen him live and he struggled. I’ve been a big fan of Paputsakis for 2 straight years at Gens camp and he’s dominated in both leagues he’s been in the last 2 years. If the Gens plan on being good next year, Import goalie as the starter and Pap as the backup would be the best bet. But if the plan is get ready for the Mem Cup 2021 year/bid, then I could see why you’d go Pap as the starter and Schell/Sbrocca as the backup to get them ready for the following year

I have very little confidence that there will be two OHL ready #1 G for the wolves then gens to select in the mid 40’s of the import draft. After fives years of not being allowed to select import G, only Lukkonen #3, Prosvetov #15, and ? were legit #1 G

GeneralConversation

Nov 1, 2018
While I value your opinion I don’t think we can anoint a starter by 2 camps and 2 inferior leagues.
Pap and Sbrocca are signed so they’ll go to camp and fight it out. More than likely see a 3rd signed to have a solid crew. Next year will be a test to see if they can handle the big time, if not a trade will come for a stud to make the run the next year. Just my thoughts

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
While I value your opinion I don’t think we can anoint a starter by 2 camps and 2 inferior leagues.
Pap and Sbrocca are signed so they’ll go to camp and fight it out. More than likely see a 3rd signed to have a solid crew. Next year will be a test to see if they can handle the big time, if not a trade will come for a stud to make the run the next year. Just my thoughts
Both Edmonds and Andree played at US prep schools before signing with Barrie and Ottawa, respectively, and both are bona fide starters now.

Reactions: OshawaFan2018

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I have very little confidence that there will be two OHL ready #1 G for the wolves then gens to select in the mid 40’s of the import draft. After fives years of not being allowed to select import G, only Lukkonen #3, Prosvetov #15, and ? were legit #1 G

The import draft isn't like any other draft though, its all about money and connections, which the Gens have more than almost any other team except London. Got Tobias Lindberg late, got Nando Eggenberger late. Got Nico Gross late (and he told teams he wasn't coming to NA after a great WJ tourney as a 2 year younger guy, but then the Gens paid his professional Swiss team a transfer fee and next thing you know he's in the Gens jersey for 2+ years)

Windsor also just got Piironen at 30th overall and before he's done in the OHL he'll probably be a high end starting goalie (he's an '01). Could see the Gens going that route with a younger guy as well

Also important to remember that only 7 import goalies were drafted in total last year. Most teams already had their goalies because the Euro goalie being allowed to play wasn't expected to come back so teams already had their goalies in mind

Brandon Wheat Kings got an NHL drafted goalie at 104th overall last year, and he was a .906 save % in 48 games for them this year

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017

Is that not exactly what I've been saying? Lol

Paputsakis is the starter today, but import draft and off-season trades haven't happened yet so a lot can happen. I'm just going off of what is the roster right now. A lot can change quickly

Reactions: OshawaFan2018

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Still asking...where was Paps? Still involved in school play?

I'd assume because it's only a 2 game camp and only 4 goalies can play, they invited the guys they need to see more as Paputsakis is a guaranteed for main camp, so didn't want to take a start/viewing away from Leaver/Polidori

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The import draft isn't like any other draft though, its all about money and connections, which the Gens have more than almost any other team except London. Got Tobias Lindberg late, got Nando Eggenberger late. Got Nico Gross late (and he told teams he wasn't coming to NA after a great WJ tourney as a 2 year younger guy, but then the Gens paid his professional Swiss team a transfer fee and next thing you know he's in the Gens jersey for 2+ years)

Windsor also just got Piironen at 30th overall and before he's done in the OHL he'll probably be a high end starting goalie (he's an '01). Could see the Gens going that route with a younger guy as well

True. Rossi no doubt chose his destination; and, Boqvist is an example of only London. Still, 40+ teams can draft the rights to the top G before the wolves then gens have their oppurtunity.. There is nothing a deep pocketed team like Oshawa can do about that until January. I think the new rule allowing imports to be traded mid-season year 1 levels out the playing field to a certain extent ... ‘come play for us: if you’re not happy, we’ll trade you to a contender. Flint managed a couple of picks for Janek; I think we’ll see more of that.

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
True. Rossi no doubt chose his destination; and, Boqvist is an example of only London. Still, 40+ teams can draft the rights to the top G before the wolves then gens have their oppurtunity.. There is nothing a deep pocketed team like Oshawa can do about that until January. I think the new rule allowing imports to be traded mid-season year 1 levels out the playing field to a certain extent ... ‘come play for us: if you’re not happy, we’ll trade you to a contender. Flint managed a couple of picks for Janek; I think we’ll see more of that.

You're not going to get the UPL of the class, a guy like that will always go top 5. Sudbury put in no work to get him. They just took him 3rd overall and then prayed Buffalo wanted him to come to N/A. But you can convince a goalie who wouldn't go to most teams to come, like a goalie version of Boqvist. Brandon did it last year and got a high end starter at 104th overall

Last edited:

GeneralConversation

Nov 1, 2018
Is that not exactly what I've been saying? Lol

Paputsakis is the starter today, but import draft and off-season trades haven't happened yet so a lot can happen. I'm just going off of what is the roster right now. A lot can change quickly
No that’s not exactly what you said.
You said Sbrocca and Schell were battling it out for the back up roll. So you’re anointing a starter based on what exactly?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
No that’s not exactly what you said.
You said Sbrocca and Schell were battling it out for the back up roll. So you’re anointing a starter based on what exactly?

I didn’t anoint anyone to anything. There are 3 goalies currently belonging to the Gens for next year and Paputsakis is the best one. Is he ready to be an OHL starter? Not sure, probably not. But he’s the best of the 3, which means if the season started tomorrow, he’d be the starter. That’s all I said

OshawaFan2018

Nov 26, 2018
Prep
Still asking...where was Paps? Still involved in school play?

Prep School League finished in early March. Paputsakis was part of 3 peat at Kimball Union Academy. The previous year he was part of a 5 peat in Ottawa junior B. Previous to that he was part of a winning program in bantam AAA. He either chooses the right programs to be part of or he’s part of the reason for the success of these programs

GeneralConversation

Nov 1, 2018
I didn’t anoint anyone to anything. There are 3 goalies currently belonging to the Gens for next year and Paputsakis is the best one. Is he ready to be an OHL starter? Not sure, probably not. But he’s the best of the 3, which means if the season started tomorrow, he’d be the starter. That’s all I said
I’m confused

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
I would agree with you Generalsupdates. But I am sure there will be a starter found by trade or in the Euro Draft, more likely the latter, before training camp. Paps will be the backup.

GeneralConversation

Nov 1, 2018
?

Paputakis is #1 on the depth chart right now. But the import draft and off-season trades could change that. He's ahead of Sbrocca and Schell though

Again, to what do you attribute the hierarchy on this list?
Have you seen them all play or are you just going off stats and a camp?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
My trust in OHL refs being even decent is usually at about 0, but somehow they still consistently are worse than that. To allow Maksimovich to throw an elbow into Gross’ face to get him off him, and not call that just handed Ottawa a goal. So, so bad

Reactions: GeneralConversation
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad