Oshawa Generals 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
1st I am a General's fan. They will fight to the end but the hometown energy, it's not there, fans (if you can call them that) are not showing up didn't in the Niagara series and by what the 1st Ottawa game attendance was Wednesday's is not going to look any better,but the people that were there Sunday gave it all they had and let's hope for the fans come Wednesday and cheer loud.
Go Gen's Go

The Little General

Mar 30, 2017
Salinitri suspended 6 games.... I’ll get the video when I get home but so unbelievably soft based on what other guys have gotten for way worse hits this postseason. The ref was right beside them and deemed it a minor penalty. The league somehow says not only is it a major, but it’s 2 more games than the Murray elbow that knocked out Entwistle, 5 more games than the Robertson hit from behind and 6 more games than the intentional Dhillon knee on Gross. So, so bad

I saw the hit on the OHL site last night but the site has since shortened the game video and in essence, eliminated the play where Salinitri hit him in the head. Typical BS and chicken **** of the League to show it so all can see it. Personal opinion, it did not look too bad. If you want to give him a game, sure, then throw a game at Sali. But for a non-repeater, this is very bush league. Very frustrated - we are playing a superior team - hate to see this young man suspended for his final days in the O! The League (from the TOP) should be ashamed. Not to mention, the elbow that was thrown at Gross, with NO call, that resulted in a Goal, should have been review - and in my opinion, a lot worse.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Lines are not an issue. If anything it’s positive that Walters is doin whatever he can to get a spark. The Gens weren’t in the finals conversation. Beating Niagara was awesome. To get past Ottawa would be a chore. They still have some fight and hometown energy.

I will say, I wasn't completely sold on Walters until this playoffs. His ability to make adjustments has been very good and his players genuinely seem to like him which is huge. After getting killed by the Ottawa PP in games 1/2, they had an entirely different look in game 3, a PK that they've never used once all season with 3 men high and just one D in front of the net to force Ottawa to go down low instead of up high like they usually do. Things like that make me have faith going forward

The Little General

Mar 30, 2017
I saw the hit on the OHL site last night but the site has since shortened the game video and in essence, eliminated the play where Salinitri hit him in the head. Typical BS and chicken **** of the League to show it so all can see it. Personal opinion, it did not look too bad. If you want to give him a game, sure, then throw a game at Sali. But for a non-repeater, this is very bush league. Very frustrated - we are playing a superior team - hate to see this young man suspended for his final days in the O! The League (from the TOP) should be ashamed. Not to mention, the elbow that was thrown at Gross, with NO call, that resulted in a Goal, should have been review - and in my opinion, a lot worse.

Sorry, not to back-track but I saw a sideways feed on the Ottawa page - could not get a great look at it but it was from behind and very high head check. How severe, can't say. But might be worth 1-2 games - I might sound like a homer but Robertson got a 1 gamer for a hit from behind.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If you are an overage player and you punch an unsuspecting player in the back of the head, it isn't very smart. You should expect more. That is not a hockey play or an aggressive play. It is a cheap shot, plain and simple. Let's not clutter the conversation with other incidents, just look at that one. In a league that admonishes head contact, you have to understand why the league did what it did.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
If you are an overage player and you punch an unsuspecting player in the back of the head, it isn't very smart. You should expect more. That is not a hockey play or an aggressive play. It is a cheap shot, plain and simple. Let's not clutter the conversation with other incidents, just look at that one. In a league that admonishes head contact, you have to understand why the league did what it did.

I don't at all. The same guy determined (in the same day) that Salinitri's head contact was worth 6 games but Murray's head contact was worth 4 games? Brett Neumann being hit from behind in a non-hockey play was only worth 1 because it was a star playing doing it? Stephen Dhillon doing the most "non hockey play" of the entire playoffs by coming out with a knee to knee gets 0 games because he's a starting goalie and they didn't want to have his team eliminated like that?

Nobody is saying Salinitri didn't do something dirty, or even that he shouldn't have been suspended. But there's no chance it shouldve been 6 games. To say we shouldn't look at other suspensions is just wrong. That's literally the only thing you can look at when trying to see what the precedent is. The OHL is just so, so, so bad at setting/following any precedent that they set

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don't at all. The same guy determined (in the same day) that Salinitri's head contact was worth 6 games but Murray's head contact was worth 4 games? Brett Neumann being hit from behind in a non-hockey play was only worth 1 because it was a star playing doing it? Stephen Dhillon doing the most "non hockey play" of the entire playoffs by coming out with a knee to knee gets 0 games because he's a starting goalie and they didn't want to have his team eliminated like that?

Nobody is saying Salinitri didn't do something dirty, or even that he shouldn't have been suspended. But there's no chance it shouldve been 6 games. To say we shouldn't look at other suspensions is just wrong. That's literally the only thing you can look at when trying to see what the precedent is. The OHL is just so, so, so bad at setting/following any precedent that they set

A player was skating away without a puck anywhere near him and he was punched in the back of the head unsuspectingly. He was knocked out of the game and presumably put into a concussion protocol. What is there to not understand? I don’t give a shit about other plays. When you punch a kid in the back of the head when there is absolutely no reason to do so other than you are being a dink, take your punishment and call it a day.

If you want to argue other suspensions, by all means, have at it. I get what you are saying but this was a stupid dirty play that was beyond needless. Don’t confuse this with others. None of those others were one player punching the other player in the back of the head as he was skating away. This is the type of needless crap the league is trying to get rid of. Those other plays were players engaged in a hockey play of some kind. This wasn’t a hockey play. This was a 20 year old pissed off that a 17 year old kid was making his team look stupid with his performance.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
A player was skating away without a puck anywhere near him and he was punched in the back of the head unsuspectingly. He was knocked out of the game and presumably put into a concussion protocol. What is there to not understand? I don’t give a **** about other plays. When you punch a kid in the back of the head when there is absolutely no reason to do so other than you are being a dink, take your punishment and call it a day.

If you want to argue other suspensions, by all means, have at it. I get what you are saying but this was a stupid dirty play that was beyond needless. Don’t confuse this with others. None of those others were one player punching the other player in the back of the head as he was skating away. This is the type of needless crap the league is trying to get rid of. Those other plays were players engaged in a hockey play of some kind. This wasn’t a hockey play. This was a 20 year old pissed off that a 17 year old kid was making his team look stupid with his performance.

Again, you're 110% missing the entire conversation. For some reason you think people are saying Salinitri didn't do anything dirty. Not one person has said that.....

We are saying the league is super inconsistent with their suspensions and how they handle non-hockey plays and hits to the head and it's a joke.

Let me ask you, when Kyle Maksimovich got suspended for completely disregarding the puck and just flattened the HAM goalie in round 1, was that a hockey play? No it wasn't. So if the league just randomly gave him 10 games, would you have just accepted it under your theory of "oh well, you did something dumb, you don't have the right to complain about length of suspension"? No the f*** you would not have. You would have been like WTF that infraction doesn't warrant that suspension based on prior suspensions for similar things, which is literally exactly what I (and others) are saying.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Again, you're 110% missing the entire conversation. For some reason you think people are saying Salinitri didn't do anything dirty. Not one person has said that.....

We are saying the league is super inconsistent with their suspensions and how they handle non-hockey plays and hits to the head and it's a joke.

Let me ask you, when Kyle Maksimovich got suspended for completely disregarding the puck and just flattened the HAM goalie in round 1, was that a hockey play? No it wasn't. So if the league just randomly gave him 10 games, would you have just accepted it under your theory of "oh well, you did something dumb, you don't have the right to complain about length of suspension"? No the **** you would not have. You would have been like WTF that infraction doesn't warrant that suspension based on prior suspensions for similar things, which is literally exactly what I (and others) are saying.

I believe it is you that is not understanding. Again, you are not talking about a player punching another player in the back of the head. There is no direct comparison. You are referencing contact to the head as if all contact to the head is the same? That is ridiculous. There are many ways and severity of making contact to the head AND some suspensions are based just as much on injury as anything else.

Is the league inconsistent? Maybe. But the reality is it is a one game suspension anyway so who cares? Tongue inserted firmly in my cheek.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I believe it is you that is not understanding. Again, you are not talking about a player punching another player in the back of the head. There is no direct comparison. You are referencing contact to the head as if all contact to the head is the same? That is ridiculous. There are many ways and severity of making contact to the head AND some suspensions are based just as much on injury as anything else.

Is the league inconsistent? Maybe. But the reality is it is a one game suspension anyway so who cares? Tongue inserted firmly in my cheek.

You're clearly just looking to fight for whatever reason, so this will be the last post you'll get out of me, but it was more of a shove to the back of the neck area than a punch to the head. Again, not that it matters because nobody is saying he shouldn't have been suspended, just definitely not for 6 games. But anyways, your team is 11-0 in the playoffs and on the verge of doing something they haven't done since the turn of the century. Stop trying to fight with anyone and everyone and just be happy one time lol

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You're clearly just looking to fight for whatever reason, so this will be the last post you'll get out of me, but it was more of a shove to the back of the neck area than a punch to the head. Again, not that it matters because nobody is saying he shouldn't have been suspended, just definitely not for 6 games. But anyways, your team is 11-0 in the playoffs and on the verge of doing something they haven't done since the turn of the century. Stop trying to fight with anyone and everyone and just be happy one time lol

I’m not fighting with anyone. I clearly suggested that a punch (shove) to the back of the head that knocked a player out of the game was stupid, dirty, and needless. When those plays happen, they deserve 6 games. What if it were 4 games? If you wish to argue about it being a hit to the head and that all hits to the head are equal and should be one game like Maksimovich, that is your prerogative. The other option could have been other suspensions in the neighbourhood of 10 or 12 games but hey, who wants to talk about those ones?

The reality is Salinitri will probably miss one or two games and then turn pro or use his education package. Does it really matter? Don’t we have other things to talk about other than sour grapes on a suspension that will never actually be served to its full term?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Anyways, now that the mute button has gotten it's workout for the night, did you guys see this quote from Mattinen lol? The laugh Walters gives after he says this is pretty funny

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Salinitri's suspension is quite confusing for me on a couple of levels. The first part is which some people already pointed out (a minor called by a nearby ref, no prior history from Salinitri, etc.).

The biggest reason why I find it very confusing is more broad. Fans are very quick to point out questionable plays and form opinions. Regardless of which side of the fence opinions fall, there's often a lot of growing discussion leading up to review from the league office. Larger suspensions generally attract more discussion and attention. By the time a suspension is handed, it's not often out of the blue. Despite watching last night's game, I didn't recall seeing or hearing discussion about Salinitri afterward. When I saw the notification about the 6 game suspension, I was caught off guard. Meanwhile, the Prosvetov and Murray suspensions were no surprise because I had already seen discussion of both plays. For the sake of curiosity, I searched "Sali" on both the Gens and 67s boards prior to the suspension to see if I missed something obvious. This board had zero discussion of him from the game, and the 67's board had one post:
Wow 11-0 who would have thought. Hope Rossi is ok but did not look too bad so likely precautionnary that he did not return. If Bitten got one for a shot to the head, will the league look at Salinitri's shot?
A single post which a fan thought it didn't look too bad but did wonder if the OHL would look at Salinitri's play. The discussion gained no response on the 67s board, and the play gained no traction on either team board. If Salinitri really deserved 6 games, surely there would have been a lot more discussion.

I've often said that I wish the OHL was transparent with suspensions. Just like the NHL, I think the OHL should provide video and reasoning for each and every suspension to justify their reasoning.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa

Let me ask you, when Kyle Maksimovich got suspended for completely disregarding the puck and just flattened the HAM goalie in round 1, was that a hockey play? No it wasn't. So if the league just randomly gave him 10 games, would you have just accepted it under your theory of "oh well, you did something dumb, you don't have the right to complain about length of suspension"? No the **** you would not have. You would have been like WTF that infraction doesn't warrant that suspension based on prior suspensions for similar things, which is literally exactly what I (and others) are saying.

My guess would be that the league looked at Murrays hit and saw a player finishing his check, but got careless with his elbow. Sal’s was behind the play and clearly intentional. I don’t know. I’m grasping at straws, but it’s the only reasonable conclusion for the difference in lengths.

Neumann being down hurt, then getting up and getting baited into the nonsense from Brassard probably factored into the Robertson one. The Dhillon knee on knee and the Michael Little head shot are both still baffling to me. I would be furious if I was Gross. Two incidents towards him where there were no repercussions. Does Gross play chippy? No doubt. But I don’t believe he’s ever been suspended for his play. No reason the league should turn a blind eye to actions against him.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Salinitri's suspension is quite confusing for me on a couple of levels. The first part is which some people already pointed out (a minor called by a nearby ref, no prior history from Salinitri, etc.).

The biggest reason why I find it very confusing is more broad. Fans are very quick to point out questionable plays and form opinions. Regardless of which side of the fence opinions fall, there's often a lot of growing discussion leading up to review from the league office. Larger suspensions generally attract more discussion and attention. By the time a suspension is handed, it's not often out of the blue. Despite watching last night's game, I didn't recall seeing or hearing discussion about Salinitri afterward. When I saw the notification about the 6 game suspension, I was caught off guard. Meanwhile, the Prosvetov and Murray suspensions were no surprise because I had already seen discussion of both plays. For the sake of curiosity, I searched "Sali" on both the Gens and 67s boards prior to the suspension to see if I missed something obvious. This board had zero discussion of him from the game, and the 67's board had one post:

A single post which a fan thought it didn't look too bad but did wonder if the OHL would look at Salinitri's play. The discussion gained no response on the 67s board, and the play gained no traction on either team board. If Salinitri really deserved 6 games, surely there would have been a lot more discussion.

I've often said that I wish the OHL was transparent with suspensions. Just like the NHL, I think the OHL should provide video and reasoning for each and every suspension to justify their reasoning.
In fairness when I posted that I had not seen the replay from the back angle. After doing so I did change my take on the 67's board as it was imo more vicious than I initially thought. That being said I do agree the league needs to be more transparent as you describe as an educationnal tool for the players so they understand where are the lines you do not cross. Heck the league itself needs to be more transparent across the board, recruiting violations, injury reports etc... It's got to stop being a black box.

Reactions: Canadian Game

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Am I pissed that Salintri got 6 games yes, especially when Robinson got 1 game for intent to injure on Neuman, Dhilhon nothing for intent to injure Gross, 1 game to Bitton, Saginaw goalie 5 games for batting a puck. list can go on. OHL is beginning to be a joke if it's not already.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
My guess would be that the league looked at Murrays hit and saw a player finishing his check, but got careless with his elbow. Sal’s was behind the play and clearly intentional. I don’t know. I’m grasping at straws, but it’s the only reasonable conclusion for the difference in lengths.

Neumann being down hurt, then getting up and getting baited into the nonsense from Brassard probably factored into the Robertson one. The Dhillon knee on knee and the Michael Little head shot are both still baffling to me. I would be furious if I was Gross. Two incidents towards him where there were no repercussions. Does Gross play chippy? No doubt. But I don’t believe he’s ever been suspended for his play. No reason the league should turn a blind eye to actions against him.

Exactly. I think the OHL got the Murray one right tbh, but then you look at the Salinitri one and go wait that’s 2 more games than that? And like you said Dhillon and Little ones which get nothing but are both very similar to the Salinitri one and it just makes absolutely no sense.

On to game 4, the one for Mattinen’s bag

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
My only guess is you speak French and just tried to do a French to English translation and it just didn’t work? Lol

ps, Bobby the brain Heenan is dead
Hahaha. My thought as well. I think he was referring to OMG as his pic is Bobby the Brain.
Either way I’m just going to watch what will most likely be that last game of the year Wednesday. A little pissed I don’t get to see Sally one more time but whatever. Great entertaining year. After the big trade I am happy we got bonus hockey past 2 rounds. Hats off to Ottawa they are great to watch. Sad to see Keyser go wish he was one year younger. I have faith the brain trust will find a tender as they have been good at that dating back to Altshuler. I will say I was not a Walters fan but have come around. If players like and respect him they will buy in. It’s quite evident they like him. Work the bags off boys one more time! (Best post game sound bite)

Reactions: reeno

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
With respect to the recent suspensions and our, as fans/observers, wish that there was more consistency, we're not wrong to feel that way. We see something live, or on TV, or see a clip after. We see it through the glasses that are tinted in favour of the team we are rooting for (let's face it, there are very few neutral observers on here or Twitter). We compare one incident to another, see a very different level of punishment meted and think the league is clueless.

Now I'm no fan of Mr. Branch's and the league does all kinds of stuff we may find worth of a good head shake. So, not in their defense, we have to realize that we see what we see. A submission by a team includes the official's report and any medical opinion on his condition and potential recovery. Keep in mind it's always the home team doctor (even if it's a visiting player) who makes the initial report. We don't see any of that. One can't measure the consistency of a process based on maybe 1/3 of the evidence.

Having said that, the Dhillon fork job to the nuts (no call on the ice) certainly appeared like an attempt to injure and was not a hockey play. As it turned out, Gross was not injured on the play and stayed in the game. Perhaps Oshawa management decided not to pursue that with the league, thinking perhaps better to save it for something more serious. Beyond automatic suspensions, the league doesn't go looking through tapes for suspendable offenses, teams who feel their player has been wronged do that.

The Salinitri punch to the back of Rossi's head (2 min roughing) was not a hockey play. Was it retaliation for Rossi coming in late on Keyser, for which he was penalized already, maybe? 6 games seems quite harsh but we're witness to about 1/3 of the 'evidence'. How about we wait until Rossi returns to play before we decide if it's a "fair" penalty or not.

Reactions: sirius67fan

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Who’s everyone think from the 2015 Mem cup team is dropping the puck tomorrow? My guess is Brown/Appleby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->