OOT Scoreboard 2018-19 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
On one hand, not I could understand not calling up Hart, but with all Elliott injury and Neuvirth who is injured almost always these days, they probably had to call him up sooner. Just like us with Blackwood, when we went over 2 months with only one suitable goalie on the roster.

And guys like Stolarz and Lyon aren't that good of prospects either, so they probably were okay with throwing them out there over their more prized prospect.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Goals against review for tonight

Blackhawks vs Sabres: 3 goals against Ward, no chance on any. 4 goals against Hutton, 3 stoppable. 2 goals against Ullmark, both are stoppable. Goaltending was so poor in this game for Buffalo. This is one of the most poorly goaltended games that I've seen this year and Cam Ward wasn't even the culprit. Like I say, the blowouts are not where bad goaltending usually hurts you, but it definitely did in this blowout. Hutton is doing just as I thought he would before this year. Struggling in a starting role, which it looked like I was gonna be wrong for a while there. Ullmark has been much worse than his save percentage this year. I don't think the softy of the night is gonna be from this game, but wow were both goalies for the Sabres poor. This game is really gonna skew the softy percentage of goals allowed for tonight.

Predators vs Panthers: 1 goal against Saros, no chance. 3 goals against Luongo, 2 stoppable.

Lightning vs Islanders: Vasilevskiy and Greiss get matching shutouts.

Senators vs Penguins: 5 goals against Nilsson, 2 stoppable. 3 goals against DeSmith, 1 stoppable.

Flames vs Capitals: 4 goals against Smith, 2 stoppable (the most predictable thing to happen tonight). 3 goals against Holtby, no chance on any.

Maple Leafs vs Red Wings: 3 goals against Andersen, 1 stoppable. 2 goals against Howard, no chance on either.

Golden Knights vs Hurricanes: 4 goals against Legace (LOL this BUM is back), 2 stoppable One might be softy of the night. 2 goals against Mrazek, 1 stoppable.

Wild vs Stars: 2 goals against Dubnyk, 1 stoppable. And this is probably softy of the night. 1 goal against Bishop, no chance.

So that's 42 goals scored on goalies tonight, 17 are stoppable. That's 40% of the goals allowed tonight were stoppable. 5 of them were on the two Buffalo goalies. Combined save percentages were .918%. Save percentages were good, eye test was poor. Skewed in large part due to Huttmark. Luongo, Nilsson, Smith and Legace were also bad, but the last 3 are a given almost any night they're in. Especially Smith and Legace.

I dont get the point of this whole thing... it's all subjective based on your opinions.. You're just proving that goalies are normal people and do let in bad goals from time to time.

This whole daily posting Could easily be summed up as saying most nhl goalies give up an avg of 2-3 goals a game on a decent team. The goals go up to 3-4 on lesser teams (ie us, rangers) and down on better teams at 1-2 (lightning, isles). All will let in 20-40% stinkers over the season, this doesnt mean they suck.
Also, unlike the brodeur,hasek,roy era, there are less "elite" goalies, and that's becoming a thing of the past.

Most goalies are interchangeable, meaning they could be viewed as bad based on the flawed sv% numbers and go on a good team and have much better numbers and fit right in (ie lehner)

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I dont get the point of this whole thing... it's all subjective based on your opinions.. You're just proving that goalies are normal people and do let in bad goals from time to time.

This whole daily posting Could easily be summed up as saying most nhl goalies give up an avg of 2-3 goals a game on a decent team. The goals go up to 3-4 on lesser teams (ie us, rangers) and down on better teams at 1-2 (lightning, isles). All will let in 20-40% stinkers over the season, this doesnt mean they suck.
Also, unlike the brodeur,hasek,roy era, there are less "elite" goalies, and that's becoming a thing of the past.

Most goalies are interchangeable, meaning they could be viewed as bad based on the flawed sv% numbers and go on a good team and have much better numbers and fit right in (ie lehner)
The whole point of this is to see if there's a corroboration with save percentage and bad goals allowed.

There's a lot of cases where I'm finding this true, but also a few exceptions.

For instance, Garret Sparks of Toronto looks almost as bad as Cory, but actually has a respectable save percentage, unlike Cory.

There's actually not many in the league that have allowed 40% stinkers on my count or more than that. I have counted 13 stinkers out of 29 goals against on Schneider though, who has only appeared in 9 games. That's one of the highest percentages. Scott Darling is also up there, who was waived months ago.

One of the highest percentages in the league out of goalies that have played a sizable amount of games is Mike Smith. 75 goals allowed, 28 stoppable (and a lot of them have been really bad softies) and his save percentage is .889%.

Reactions: sabremike

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
While in the long run I expect Hextall to be proven correct in terms of team building there was clearly some serious disconnect to force him out and then the coach in the way it all went down. Hopefully PHI management stays in win now mode for the foreseeable future and trades some young players for a quick fix.

I hope their management gets tricked by this fool’s gold hot streak like some on here have been

It’s unfortunate some “Devil fans” care more about what Hart does then what our own top goalie prospect does.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Domingue is AWFUL.

''He wins games tho''.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I hope their management gets tricked by this fool’s gold hot streak like some on here have been

It’s unfortunate some “Devil fans” care more about what Hart does then what our own top goalie prospect does.

After last season a vocal minority of fans wanted to write him off based on some very limited statistical history of goalies that had poor 21 year old AHL seasons and failed to make an NHL impact. I think in retrospect the poor team in front of him coupled with whatever that eye problem was combined to rob him of his confidence last year. Thankfully he had that short successful run in the ECHL playoffs before he got hurt which seemed to have reset him for this season. If PZ can become a steady 3C and MBW can become a 40 games kind of goalie it will have been a successful final draft for Conte - completely ignoring the trade for Palms. I’m happy for MBW that he has gotten his game on track for a solid NHL introduction. He will have to refine his technique but obviously the raw athleticism and compete are there. Younger posters have to remember that 21 and 22 year old kids are just that - kids. Let them breathe.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
The whole point of this is to see if there's a corroboration with save percentage and bad goals allowed.

There's a lot of cases where I'm finding this true, but also a few exceptions.

For instance, Garret Sparks of Toronto looks almost as bad as Cory, but actually has a respectable save percentage, unlike Cory.

There's actually not many in the league that have allowed 40% stinkers on my count or more than that. I have counted 13 stinkers out of 29 goals against on Schneider though, who has only appeared in 9 games. That's one of the highest percentages. Scott Darling is also up there, who was waived months ago.

One of the highest percentages in the league out of goalies that have played a sizable amount of games is Mike Smith. 75 goals allowed, 28 stoppable (and a lot of them have been really bad softies) and his save percentage is .889%.
Maybe it's more useful to differentiate between "saveable" goals and "softies". I dunno. There's just something missing to me in this analysis. I'd think goalies that let in the occasional softie can also make unexpected saves on "unstoppable" goals, which lifts the team, but that's much harder to track. There's also the factor of when the softie is let in. If you're up 6-1 and let in a softie, it really doesn't matter, whereas if you let a softie in during the first couple minutes, it could be demoralizing.

Sorry, just brainstorming here.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Maybe it's more useful to differentiate between "saveable" goals and "softies". I dunno. There's just something missing to me in this analysis. I'd think goalies that let in the occasional softie can also make unexpected saves on "unstoppable" goals, which lifts the team, but that's much harder to track. There's also the factor of when the softie is let in. If you're up 6-1 and let in a softie, it really doesn't matter, whereas if you let a softie in during the first couple minutes, it could be demoralizing.

Sorry, just brainstorming here.
I think you're right in that not every goal I count as stoppable is necessarily a soft goal or a really bad goal. For instance, I nailed John Gibson on 3 of the 6 goals he allowed tonight as stoppable. Which is rare for him, as he has one of the lowest stoppable goal percentages in the league on my count. But the only one that was a really terrible goal was the wraparound goal that got him yanked.

It would be too much to track the really stoppable goals from the really terrible goals.

I will say that MANY of the goals I nail Mike Smith on as stoppable are just downright soft goals. The quality of the goals he allows this year are just BRUTAL. I would say of the 28 goals I've counted on him as stoppable, probably 20-22 of them are terrible softies.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Goals against review for tonight

Devils vs Canadiens: 2 goals against Blackwood, no chance on either. 3 goals against Niemi, 1 stoppable.

Oilers vs Flyers: 5 goals against Talbot, 2 stoppable. 4 goals against Hart, 1 stoppable.

Ducks vs Jets: 6 goals against Gibson, 3 stoppable. 3 goals against Johnson, no chance on any. 3 goals against Hellebuyck, 1 stoppable.

Penguins vs Maple Leafs: 3 goals against Murray, 1 stoppable. 2 goals against Sparks, no chance on either.

Red Wings vs Senators: 2 goals against Anderson, no chance on either. Bernier gets the shutout.

Golden Knights vs Panthers: 2 goals against Fleury, 1 stoppable. 1 goal against Reimer and it's stoppable.

Kings vs Islanders: 3 goals against Quick, no chance on any. 2 goals against Lehner, no chance on either.

Blues vs Blue Jackets: 2 goals against Binnington, no chance on either. 3 goals against Korpisalo, 2 stoppable.

Stars vs Predators: 1 goal against Khudobin, no chance. 3 goals against Rinne, 2 stoppable.

Blackhawks vs Wild: 3 goals against Delia, no chance on any. 4 goals against Stalock, 2 stoppable.

Lightning vs Rangers: 2 goals against Domingue, both are stoppable. One is sure to be softy of the night. 3 goals against Lundqvist, all 3 are stoppable. Every goal scored in this game ranged from stoppable to just absolutely hideous.

Canucks vs Avalanche: 1 goal against Markstrom, no chance. 5 goals against Varlamov, 1 stoppable.

Coyotes vs Sharks: 3 goals against Kuemper, no chance on either. 2 goals against Jones, no chance on either.

So that's 73 goals scored on goalies tonight, 23 were stoppable. That's almost 32% of the goals allowed tonight were stoppable. Combined save percentages tonight were .910%.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Softy of the night goes to Louis Domingue for this goal to Zuccarello. He's made softy of the night a lot this year. I think only Mike Smith and Bobrovsky have made it more.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
They were really just holding on for dear life more than putting on a clinic IMO. At least for the last 7 minutes or so.

nah, the bruins made it pretty easy for rask. it was all attack time for the caps, but hardly anything got on net

Camille the Eel

Carolina’s loss shows how hard it is to chase a playoff spot once you get about 10 points down in December. They’ve been on an absolute tear for more than a month. Today Boston and Montreal eke out wins and they drop back again against both.

They’ve caught Buffalo (who have lost two straight) and in their headlights is Columbus - slumping deeply and sapped (perhaps) by the Panarin-Bobrovsky malaise. The Blue Jackets now go to the Southwest for three and come back against Washington. Very important stretch for Columbus.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
A very early edition of today's goals against review.

Bruins vs Capitals: 1 goal against Holtby, no chance. Rask gets the shutout.

Oilers vs Canadiens: 4 goals against Koskinen, 1 stoppable. 3 goals against Price, no chance on any.

Flames vs Huyrricanes: 3 goals against Rittich, 1 stoppable. 4 goals against Mrazek, 1 stoppable.

So that's 15 goals scored on goalies today, 3 were stoppable. That's 20% of goals scored tonight were stoppable. Combined save percentages were .918%.

Reactions: DerekDevils30

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Softy of the night goes to Mrazek for this wraparound goal to Derek Ryan.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I think you're right in that not every goal I count as stoppable is necessarily a soft goal or a really bad goal. For instance, I nailed John Gibson on 3 of the 6 goals he allowed tonight as stoppable. Which is rare for him, as he has one of the lowest stoppable goal percentages in the league on my count. But the only one that was a really terrible goal was the wraparound goal that got him yanked.

It would be too much to track the really stoppable goals from the really terrible goals.

I will say that MANY of the goals I nail Mike Smith on as stoppable are just downright soft goals. The quality of the goals he allows this year are just BRUTAL. I would say of the 28 goals I've counted on him as stoppable, probably 20-22 of them are terrible softies.

I like your posts. Thought it was kinda strange at first but I'll pop by this board just to read them every few days. Always loved goalies myself. Find myself agreeing with your calls for the most part.

Reactions: Bleedred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad