OOT Scoreboard 2018-19 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I like your posts. Thought it was kinda strange at first but I'll pop by this board just to read them every few days. Always loved goalies myself. Find myself agreeing with your calls for the most part.
Thanks! I do appreciate the feedback! Even the negative feedback sometimes.:DD

But I do appreciate everyone who takes the time to read them! :thumbu:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Even filthy Leafs fans? :snide:

I think you do a good job of being unbiased :thumbu:
I appreciate it and no matter what team someone is a fan of, I always appreciate the interest in my findings.:nod:

For what it's worth, Frederik Andersen has been one of the best this year and has one of the lower percentages among starting goalies. I'd have to go through my entire file, but I think John Gibson is the only goalie that has a lower percentage of goals I've counted stoppable out of any starting goalie this year, outside of Andersen. I have Gibson down for more, but he's played more and allowed a lot more goals.

Sparks is a very weird anomaly though. He has one of the higher percentages of goals I've counted stoppable out of anybody in the league, yet his save percentage is just above league average at .909%. Michael Hutchinson also has a very high percentage, but some of those came with the Panthers earlier in the year. I remember thinking Sparks was very bad in 2015-2016 and was critical of the move to waive Calvin Pickard and keep him, but after looking at Pickard this year, I don't think that will hurt the Leafs as I previously thought. Calvin Pickard also has one of the highest percentages of goals I've counted stoppable this year, as well as a horrifyingly bad save percentage. I don't have my file very organized, just all the names and the numbers of goals I've nailed on each as stoppable, but without breaking everything down, Schneider, Pickard and Sparks are some of the higher percentages of goals I've counted as stoppable, but none have played a whole lot of games. As far as guys who have played a sizable amount, Smith and Talbot have a very high percentage. Miikko Koskinen does as well.

Reactions: sabremike and 7even

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I appreciate it and no matter what team someone is a fan of, I always appreciate the interest in my findings.:nod:

For what it's worth, Frederik Andersen has been one of the best this year and has one of the lower percentages among starting goalies. I'd have to go through my entire file, but I think John Gibson is the only goalie that has a lower percentage of goals I've counted stoppable out of any starting goalie this year, outside of Andersen. I have Gibson down for more, but he's played more and allowed a lot more goals.

Sparks is a very weird anomaly though. He has one of the higher percentages of goals I've counted stoppable out of anybody in the league, yet his save percentage is just above league average at .909%. Michael Hutchinson also has a very high percentage, but some of those came with the Panthers earlier in the year. I remember thinking Sparks was very bad in 2015-2016 and was critical of the move to waive Calvin Pickard and keep him, but after looking at Pickard this year, I don't think that will hurt the Leafs as I previously thought. Calvin Pickard also has one of the highest percentages of goals I've counted stoppable this year, as well as a horrifyingly bad save percentage. I don't have my file very organized, just all the names and the numbers of goals I've nailed on each as stoppable, but without breaking everything down, Schneider, Pickard and Sparks are some of the higher percentages of goals I've counted as stoppable, but none have played a whole lot of games. As far as guys who have played a sizable amount, Smith and Talbot have a very high percentage. Miikko Koskinen does as well.

For what it's worth that lines up with what I've seen from him as well. He seems to be beaten by a disproportionate amount of clean shots, especially from longer range than you'd typically label as "dangerous." In netfront scrambles he's a big rangy goalie who actually is quite athletic and that lets him be, to my subjective eye, averagely effective in those situations. Don't know if that assessment is just confirmation bias on my part, would have to see his save percentage by shot distance to really say.

I'm rooting for him though, on a personal level. I talked to him a bit on Twitter back in the day the years just after he was drafted and he's got a real personality. From what I've seen to date I'm unconvinced he'll ever be more than a journeyman backup, but as an example Curtis Mac and similar goalies have been able to refine comparable chaotic styles enough to parlay them into starting gigs down the line, so who knows.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
For what it's worth that lines up with what I've seen from him as well. He seems to be beaten by a disproportionate amount of clean shots, especially from longer range than you'd typically label as "dangerous." In netfront scrambles he's a big rangy goalie who actually is quite athletic and that lets him be, to my subjective eye, averagely effective in those situations. Don't know if that assessment is just confirmation bias on my part, would have to see his save percentage by shot distance to really say.

I'm rooting for him though, on a personal level. I talked to him a bit on Twitter back in the day the years just after he was drafted and he's got a real personality. From what I've seen to date I'm unconvinced he'll ever be more than a journeyman backup, but as an example Curtis Mac and similar goalies have been able to refine comparable chaotic styles enough to parlay them into starting gigs down the line, so who knows.
I didn't count either goal on Sparks in the game the other night against Pittsburgh as stoppable, but there's been a few games where he played good on paper, but let in a stinker or two. One that I recall was against Anaheim. He allowed 1 goal on 36 shots or something and it was a slapshot from well out that just squeaked through him. There was also another game where he allowed a couple poor ones, fairly recently. Well, it was like a month ago, but he hasn't played many games since. It was either when Andersen was injured or right before both were injured and Hutchinson was up and playing.

I think you're right. He does get beaten on a lot of clean shots from distance.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Kings tie it with under a minute to go. Looks like both teams will get a point. Great for us!
Lundqvist allows a pretty soft game winner. 2 more stoppable goals for him tonight.

He's been horrific since about the second week of December. I remember raving that he had allowed some of the fewest amount of weak goals this year among starter by about the start of December, but I think he might lead the league in them after tonight. He was tied coming into this game.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Mr. Softy!
Pending tonight's results, he now leads the league in my stoppable goal count. He was tied with Hellebuyck at 33 coming into tonight. Hellebuyck doesn't play tonight, so he'll undoubtedly be at 35 and in the lead tonight. That doesn't mean he's necessarily been the worst goalie I've seen this year, there's a few others much worse, but he's been poor and having the highest count is also a product of him playing more games than a guy like Mike Smith, who has certainly been worse, as have a few other names. Talbot and Jake Allen have also been worse, but Talbot doesn't play as much and Allen plays for a much better team and faces fewer shots, therefore allowing fewer goals.

It's scary because I've now counted 35 and at least 20 of them have come in the last 7 weeks. He had a pretty low ratio earlier in the year and his overall save percentage was .921% on December 2nd after the first 21 games. It's now down to .906% after 38 games.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
if Philly gets to the playoffs , give Hart the Hart

39/40 so far tonight.
Oh my god, we go through this every year.

You think they're making the playoffs? They might have a lesser chance than the Panthers did at this time last year....

They actually have 54 points in 53 games this year, which is exactly what Florida had after 54 games last year. They'd have to go on a Panthers-like tear the rest of the season and do even better to get in. And despite what you claimed last year, the Panthers also wound up falling short....

And unlike last year's Panthers, they weren't even this hot yet by game 53, which tells me that the Flyers are much closer to the peak than the Panthers were.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
if Philly gets to the playoffs , give Hart the Hart

39/40 so far tonight.

Philly is such a Jekyll and Hyde team. If they somehow make it I pity whoever faces them as they've got a good roster and Hart seems to be the real deal.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Goals against review for tonight

Ducks vs Maple Leafs: 5 goals against Gibson, 3 stoppable. 1 goal against Johnson in relief and it's stoppable. 1 goal against Andersen, no chance.

Kings vs Rangers: 3 goals against Quick, 1 stoppable. 4 goals against Lundqvist, 2 stoppable.

Canucks vs Flyers: 2 goals against Markstrom, no chance on either. 1 goal against Hart and it's stoppable.

Coyotes vs Stars: 5 goals against Kuemper, no chance on any. 4 goals against Bishop, 1 stoppable.

So that's 26 goals scored on goalies tonight, 9 were stoppable. That's 35% of goals scored tonight were stoppable. Combined save percentages were .903%.

Reactions: DerekDevils30

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He hasn't made softy of the night many times this year, but I gotta give it to Lundqvist tonight for the OT winner. After having a great start to the season, he's been really bad over the last couple months. Oh well, he's still better than either goalie we have on the current roster.

Camille the Eel

Carolina and Buffalo now 1 point behind Columbus - one point - and Columbus trailing in Colorado.

Didn’t see this coming. Tonight’s is a big game for the Blue Jackets. The Av’s have been trash since the break but are waking up against them. Whew Mackinnon can move, what a fluid player with the puck on his stick.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
20190205_160313.jpg

A 9 hour bus ride from where I live but still HOME.

20190205_160347.jpg

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Big 3d period by Columbus - 4 unanswered goals including the one that tied it in the second. Can’t overstate what this means to them. Breaks a 5 game skid.
That's probably the end of Colorado, but Vancouver also lost, so they might still be in it.

I don't see St. Louis as actually being worse than Colorado and even Colorado has major problems in goal (Grubauer looked horrible from what little I saw tonight) just like St. Louis. I think St. Louis could come back and take this, but it's hard to say right now.

I was hoping it would be Vancouver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad