OOT Scoreboard 2018-19 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
It was real hard to do a softy of the night, which is sometimes hard when there's only 3 games the whole night.

I thought this one was pretty bad. Yeah, it's a breakaway, but Bobrovsky has it and looks like he may have tripped himself into the net. It was pretty funny looking at it. I gotta wonder how much he's cost himself on his next deal with this poor year he's having.

Ok ok ok. This is my last time arguing with you about breakaways being called softy’s. So when a goalie turns over the puck and then later within the same play gives up a goal even if it is a great pass and amazing snipe you call it s softy because the goalie shouldn’t be in a position to be giving up a goal of they never coughed up the puck. But you are at the same time calling some breakaway goals as softy’s depending on how the goalie plays them despite the fact that a goalie should never be left 1v1 vs a shooter or in this case never be held responsible for a “bad goal” if he’s being asked to make a save on a play where potentially 5 other teammates on the ice have decided to ignore a portion of their responsibilities.

Unless a goalie dives out of the way of a shot ala Goldberg for the sake of not getting hurt by the puck, I can’t see how you fault him here.
I’m not saying you have to agree with me Bleed but at least you could consider making this rule change for next season, as I really think breakaways are going to skew your numbers long term. :);):DD

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ok ok ok. This is my last time arguing with you about breakaways being called softy’s. So when a goalie turns over the puck and then later within the same play gives up a goal even if it is a great pass and amazing snipe you call it s softy because the goalie shouldn’t be in a position to be giving up a goal of they never coughed up the puck. But you are at the same time calling some breakaway goals as softy’s depending on how the goalie plays them despite the fact that a goalie should never be left 1v1 vs a shooter or in this case never be held responsible for a “bad goal” if he’s being asked to make a save on a play where potentially 5 other teammates on the ice have decided to ignore a portion of their responsibilities.

Unless a goalie dives out of the way of a shot ala Goldberg for the sake of not getting hurt by the puck, I can’t see how you fault him here.
I’m not saying you have to agree with me Bleed but at least you could consider making this rule change for next season, as I really think breakaways are going to skew your numbers long term. :);):DD
Well here's the thing I understand. I understand not faulting a goalie for giving up a breakaway goal. In fact, I think a decent amount of goals that I've graded as being stoppable, I think I would agree that the goal wasn't necessarily a goalies fault, but just that the goalie had a pretty good chance at stopping it.

I'm not too hard on breakaways, but I've given off for them if it beats the goalie through the 5-hole like it did Bobrovsky, unless it beats him through the 5-hole while he's deked and sliding around. I only nail a goalie on a breakaway if he's square to the shooter and the puck travels through him. Like that goal Cory allowed in San Jose last year in the last game he played in March a few weeks before the season finale. Or the goal that beat Cory a few seconds into the Carolina game where he looked to have it locked down and it dribbled in. Just using Devils goalies as examples, since most of us have seen those goals.

Martin Jones has gotten beaten on A LOT of breakaways this year. I bet he's beaten on over 50% of them this year, where the shot doesn't go wide. I haven't nailed him on many of those, even though he's gotten beaten on the same move so many times. A guy taking it to the side of the net and going backhand or forehand right at the post and over his glove. That shot is from such close range, I can't nail the goalie on it, unlike if he was beaten by that shot from the circle or middle/high slot.

Now I normally wouldn't do a softy of the night on a breakaway goal, even if I counted it among the stoppable, but Bob just looked very awkward here.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
More on Bobrovsky, he's been very poor this year.

Early in the year (October), he had a very poor save percentage, but I hadn't counted many goals on him that I thought were stoppable, but they've really evened out a bunch since then.

For those who said ''If Bobrovsky were on this team, he wouldn't have a better save percentage than Kinkaid'' well you're probably right, seeing as how he's barely been better on the Blue Jackets. I have Kinkaid down for 30 (102 goals allowed) and I have Bob down for 30 on 98 allowed. Bob has a save percentage of .002 better and has allowed 4 fewer goals. Bob has faced 15 fewer shots than Keith.

Bob is really costing himself with this year he's having. It seemed as though he'd be destined to get signed by Philly next year, but if Hart keeps playing the way he's playing and Bob keeps playing the way he's been playing, they might not go in that direction.

I wonder if Bob is traded at the deadline for cheap to a contending team that has goalie problems. I'm looking at San Jose, Washington and Calgary right now. Much like when Bishop got traded to LA a couple years ago as a pending UFA. His playoffs are a joke, so I don't think they'd be acquiring Bob to start in the playoffs, but more to give Jones/Holtby/Rittich a rest down the stretch. Copley has been awful on the eye test for the Caps and Holtby is having another mediocre season. I wonder if they go for Bob? Maybe even Montreal? They'd have more trust in Bob than Niemi.

We did this with Vanbiesbrouck in 2001, but it was a bit different just because Vanbiesbrouck was late 30's and close to the end.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Vas looking Schneider bad.
I thought he had no chance on any of those 3 goals, but will give another look before review.

The one thing I will say is that he hasn't been the absolute best goalie I've seen this year on the eye test, but he's probably been a bit better than average too. He's been A LOT better than David Rittich, who has a save percentage not much lower, but he hasn't been John Gibson good, who also has a lower save percentage than he does this year. Frederik Andersen has also been REALLY good this year.

That goal he just allowed to Letang as I was typing this, I might count that as stoppable.

Vasilevskiy has also been night and day better than his backup Domingue, who racked up wins playing behind a stacked team in Vasilevskiy's absence earlier this year. Domingue has been awful. And some of the goals he allows are just really ugly and nasty looking. He hasn't been softy of the night in a while because he barely has played lately.

Reactions: Dialamo

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
I thought he had no chance on any of those 3 goals, but will give another look before review.

The one thing I will say is that he hasn't been the absolute best goalie I've seen this year on the eye test, but he's probably been a bit better than average too. He's been A LOT better than David Rittich, who has a save percentage not much lower, but he hasn't been John Gibson good, who also has a lower save percentage than he does this year. Frederik Andersen has also been REALLY good this year.

That goal he just allowed to Letang as I was typing this, I might count that as stoppable.

Vasilevskiy has also been night and day better than his backup Domingue, who racked up wins playing behind a stacked team in Vasilevskiy's absence earlier this year. Domingue has been awful. And some of the goals he allows are just really ugly and nasty looking. He hasn't been softy of the night in a while because he barely has played lately.

Hmm thought his awareness of the puck and rebound control were suspect. Side to side was slow. He’s played much better in the second besides the letang goal. Murray has looked much better.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hmm thought his awareness of the puck and rebound control were suspect. Side to side was slow. He’s played much better in the second besides the letang goal. Murray has looked much better.
I think the second goal (it was either the first or second) was caused by him not covering and just putting the puck back into play. It did happen quite a few seconds before he was scored on though.

Murray has looked better than his numbers to me this year. He also didn't play as poorly as his goals against the other night. The Severson goal was really weak, but no chance on any of the other 5.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Two kind of weak goals on Murray in the last 4 minutes to cost himself the shutout.

I didn't get the best look at the second one, as I was cleaning up a spilled drink, but the first one definitely was.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Goals against review for tonight

Lightning vs Penguins: 4 goals against Vasilevskiy, no chance on any of them. 2 goals against Murray, both are stoppable. The Letang goal on Vasilevskiy was borderline for me. It was almost one timed. If he had held onto that puck any longer before unloading, I'd probably say Vasilevskiy could have had it. Now the Miller goal on Murray was one timed, but this was from well out and I thought he was pretty square to that one and it just beats him. The Stamkos goal just leaks through him. Hits off his armpit and goes in.

Sabres vs Stars: 1 goal against Ullmark and it's kind of stoppable. Bishop gets the shutout. The goal on Ullmark was a breakaway, but he wasn't really sliding and completely opened up when this puck is put through his 5-hole. Pretty forgivable goal though, compared to the two Murray allowed.

So that's 7 goals scored on goalies tonight, 3 were stoppable. That's 43% of goals scored tonight were stoppable. And the only guy with a save percentage lower than .943% for the night didn't give up any of them. That's small sample size and single game stats for you. Combined save percentages tonight were .939%.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Softy of the night has to be this goal on Murray from Stamkos. I have a feeling if the shooter wasn't Stamkos, Pierre would be talking about the ''Odor'' on this goal.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Lightning vs Penguins: 4 goals against Vasilevskiy, no chance on any of them. 2 goals against Murray, both are stoppable. The Letang goal on Vasilevskiy was borderline for me. It was almost one timed. If he had held onto that puck any longer before unloading, I'd probably say Vasilevskiy could have had it. Now the Miller goal on Murray was one timed, but this was from well out and I thought he was pretty square to that one and it just beats him. The Stamkos goal just leaks through him. Hits off his armpit and goes in.

Sabres vs Stars: 1 goal against Ullmark and it's kind of stoppable. Bishop gets the shutout. The goal on Ullmark was a breakaway, but he wasn't really sliding and completely opened up when this puck is put through his 5-hole. Pretty forgivable goal though, compared to the two Murray allowed.

So that's 7 goals scored on goalies tonight, 3 were stoppable. That's 43% of goals scored tonight were stoppable. And the only guy with a save percentage lower than .943% for the night didn't give up any of them. That's small sample size and single game stats for you. Combined save percentages tonight were .939%.

WITH NJ beating the Pens handily and with PIT turning around and handily beating TB, doesn’t that make NJ the best team in the league by virtue of the transitive property?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Rangers vs Devils: 3 goals against Lundqvist, 1 stoppable. 4 goals against Kinkaid, 1 stoppable.

Flyers vs Bruins: 2 goals against Hart, no chance on either. 3 goals against Rask, 1 stoppable.

Blue Jackets vs Jets: 4 goals against Bobrovsky, 2 stoppable. 3 goals against Hellebuyck, 1 stoppable.

So that's 18 goals scored on goalies tonight, 6 were stoppable. That's 33% of goals scored tonight were stoppable. Combined save percentages were .894%.

Reactions: DerekDevils30

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Softy of the night goes to Bobrovsky for whatever the f*** this was. He might have to go to the KHL if he really wants that $11 milion per a year....

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Blackhawks vs Sabres: 3 goals against Ward, no chance on any. 4 goals against Hutton, 3 stoppable. 2 goals against Ullmark, both are stoppable. Goaltending was so poor in this game for Buffalo. This is one of the most poorly goaltended games that I've seen this year and Cam Ward wasn't even the culprit. Like I say, the blowouts are not where bad goaltending usually hurts you, but it definitely did in this blowout. Hutton is doing just as I thought he would before this year. Struggling in a starting role, which it looked like I was gonna be wrong for a while there. Ullmark has been much worse than his save percentage this year. I don't think the softy of the night is gonna be from this game, but wow were both goalies for the Sabres poor. This game is really gonna skew the softy percentage of goals allowed for tonight.

Predators vs Panthers: 1 goal against Saros, no chance. 3 goals against Luongo, 2 stoppable.

Lightning vs Islanders: Vasilevskiy and Greiss get matching shutouts.

Senators vs Penguins: 5 goals against Nilsson, 2 stoppable. 3 goals against DeSmith, 1 stoppable.

Flames vs Capitals: 4 goals against Smith, 2 stoppable (the most predictable thing to happen tonight). 3 goals against Holtby, no chance on any.

Maple Leafs vs Red Wings: 3 goals against Andersen, 1 stoppable. 2 goals against Howard, no chance on either.

Golden Knights vs Hurricanes: 4 goals against Legace (LOL this BUM is back), 2 stoppable One might be softy of the night. 2 goals against Mrazek, 1 stoppable.

Wild vs Stars: 2 goals against Dubnyk, 1 stoppable. And this is probably softy of the night. 1 goal against Bishop, no chance.

So that's 42 goals scored on goalies tonight, 17 are stoppable. That's 40% of the goals allowed tonight were stoppable. 5 of them were on the two Buffalo goalies. Combined save percentages were .918%. Save percentages were good, eye test was poor. Skewed in large part due to Huttmark. Luongo, Nilsson, Smith and Legace were also bad, but the last 3 are a given almost any night they're in. Especially Smith and Legace.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Softy of the night goes to Dubnyk for this one. It was ugly.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Hart gave up 4 today but Flyers have now won 7 in a row. Hextall hurt himself by refusing to call up Hart earlier.

While in the long run I expect Hextall to be proven correct in terms of team building there was clearly some serious disconnect to force him out and then the coach in the way it all went down. Hopefully PHI management stays in win now mode for the foreseeable future and trades some young players for a quick fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad