Ontario Reign 20-21 part II Growing Pains

Status
Not open for further replies.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I think San Diego’s color commentator crawled out of Brian Hayward’s ass.

It was earlier in the second. Not sure if you heard. But when it was tied 2-2, Dostal catchinga shot from the point was a "win" for the Gulls.

I understand homerism to a degree, but when it misleads or dumbs down the audience, I draw the line

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Sounds like Thomas knocked Guhle out of the game with that takedown. Maybe he’ll think twice about cross checking someone from behind next time. Good for Thomas standing up for himself.

Already have more gonads then all of the Kings players.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
Ontario is allowing 4.22 GA, by far the worst in the AHL, and have the worst PP in the league as well. At this point, I dunno if it's a goalie thing, a defense thing, a systems thing or a coaching thing but something stinks.

Reactions: ru4reals

TwzKing

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2004
Just curious, you don't believe getting a taste of the NHL in garbage time is going to cause harm, right?

My whole point is, do whatever is best for him. Dont bring him up just take make the fans happy.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
He must be being groomed to be Hayward’s heir apparent.
I'm sure most of you won't care, but I thought I'd share BJ MacPherson's (the color guy for the Gulls) story. He was a Gull in 2000.

Miracle on ice

For the record, I am not a fan of his commentary, but learning that story made me at least understand why he has the position. And yes, the Gulls' casters were especially homer-y tonight (no clue how they thought that Guhle hit was clean), though I've come to expect that from every AHL broadcast at this point.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Ontario is allowing 4.22 GA, by far the worst in the AHL, and have the worst PP in the league as well. At this point, I dunno if it's a goalie thing, a defense thing, a systems thing or a coaching thing but something stinks.

It's pretty much a little of everything. Rotating defense almost every game, Super young team, new coach, piss poor goaltending and defense most nights, injuries. No excuses but as we've all said many times it's all part of the process. What I do like is that the young players are showing promise and that's all we can ask for. Now if they are piss poor and looks totally lost, then I'd be a little concern but many of these young players are playing for the first time in a Mens league and adjusting to the higher level of play. Plus a few of the kids aren't even suppose to be playing in the AHL this year. However, those two who aren't suppose to be in the A are leading the team in scoring so I guess there's a positive there. Just imagine if they didn't have Byfield and Kaliyev this team would probably be even worst.

Reactions: Oof and Eagle Fang

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
I have been pretty impressed with Kaliyev. It is his work ethic and dedication to work on his overall game that I noticed the most. He is not just a shooter. I think he took a another step forward this year. Actually saw that improvement at the WJC, glad he continued it in the Pros and hope he keeps it up.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
From what I've seen this season, the criticism of Kaliyev dogging it does not jive with his play. I've been impressed with his strength along the boards entering the zone on dump-ins as he is routinely getting through contact between center ice and the blue line to be able to get in on the forecheck quicker. We can't forget that he isn't a small dude so, even though he is already 32 years old, he should still get stronger.

Honestly, what's been shocking is the numerous golden opportunities he has missed with that one-timer of his. So many times this year where he's looking up to the sky after the whistle because he cna't believe he sailed it high or shot it right into the goaltender. I'm not worried about it though. Guy is still my favorite prospect in the pipeline and I really hope he isn't one of the prospects that ultimately gets moved out of here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad