Ontario Reign 20-21 part II Growing Pains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I'm not even sure he is in North America. Rumor is he had a back injury that occurred while playing in Europe prior to the season starting over here.
Yeah I wasn’t sure what happened and wouldn’t even have thought about him if it hadn’t been for the insider article on Fagemo.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
At this point how far does everyone think Akil is from making the NHL. The dude committed hard to putting muscle on last summer and he seems like his is a Swiss utility knife type player.

how far away is he and what role will he have. I know we have more skilled and higher end guys but this kid seems to be a true hockey player. Wondering your thoughts?
I was hoping that he would be called up by now.

Hopefully with they will sneak him and maybe Byfield in to a few games before this season ends

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Ah, even at first glance, he's way pissier than Kovalev at least. As he gets comfortable I'm sure that'll come out more. He'll be borderline pest/annoyance for years. Kind of like the flashes we see from Kempe.
Kaliyev has to work on his conditioning and skating isn't the greatest either! Kovalev was and Kempe is a great great skater and can get from zero to hundred in a heartbeat! I like Kaliyev but he'll need work in the Minors,hell I'd send him to Sweden for a couple of years or make sure he's getting 20-25 minutes per in Ontario with Turcotte as the Centre for a couple more seasons

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
At this point how far does everyone think Akil is from making the NHL. The dude committed hard to putting muscle on last summer and he seems like his is a Swiss utility knife type player.

how far away is he and what role will he have. I know we have more skilled and higher end guys but this kid seems to be a true hockey player. Wondering your thoughts?

I think the 'problem' for Akil is what's his identity? Is he just Trevor Lewis 2.0? If so, what the hell, bring him up now.

If we want to try to develop more offensive touch, keep him getting important AHL minutes for another year or two.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I think the 'problem' for Akil is what's his identity? Is he just Trevor Lewis 2.0? If so, what the hell, bring him up now.

If we want to try to develop more offensive touch, keep him getting important AHL minutes for another year or two.
I agree. He has more offensive upside than Lewis, soft hands and a good IQ. At worst you’re right he’s a Lewis type but he has genuine middle 6 upside IMO. I think they may reward him with a couple of games as I think he’s been a bright spot on the Reign, behind just Byfield. He’s a key culture guy too.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
I agree. He has more offensive upside than Lewis, soft hands and a good IQ. At worst you’re right he’s a Lewis type but he has genuine middle 6 upside IMO. I think they may reward him with a couple of games as I think he’s been a bright spot on the Reign, behind just Byfield. He’s a key culture guy too.

he honestly reminds me of a Justin Williams type. I think there is some offensive potential that has been untapped. He will never be a pure skill ppg guy but I could definitely see a character guy that plays between the 2nd and 3rd line and scores a bit. Maybe a mix between Williams and Lewis? He just seems to get it.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019

Thomas has to play top 6 (20-25)minutes in Ontario for at least another season perhaps two and lets play him at RWing his NHL position! The Kings have a tonne at centre so players have to convert! Having said that when players come over from Europe can the Kings just play them at their natural positions and forget the switching...Grundstrom, Frk, Kaliyev, Fagemo, Sodergran...do the Kings want to develop talent to their max potential or not?I'd be looking at the philosophy behind that non-sense

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
If Brown can play top RWing so can Thomas with Byfield when their "time" comes! Now to find a third?

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Shit like that 2-0 is what makes you worry about his IQ. Doesn't sell the shot whatsoever. Knew he was going to pass it the second he picked up the puck.

More of that deferring shit. Not saying the pass is the wrong play but it is if you act like a father out with his five year old son with no goalie.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Shit like that 2-0 is what makes you worry about his IQ. Doesn't sell the shot whatsoever. Knew he was going to pass it the second he picked up the puck.

More of that deferring shit. Not saying the pass is the wrong play but it is if you act like a father out with his five year old son with no goalie.

I think he really wanted to get Sutter a goal in his milestone 900th game.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
900 games in the AHL is crazy. Most guys head over to Europe to cash in once the NHL dream ends. I wonder how much Sutter has made in his career. I'm guessing he enters the family coaching business once his playing career is over.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Blake's coaching hire in Ontario is his first kind of "smartest guy in the room" move but when do we start questioning it? I know the team is young but don't they have a shit ton of practice time?

It's the same stuff all season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad