Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Down 2-0.

Byfield not playing

Strand and Brinkley on for both goals against

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
We are now down 3 to 1 and still not out of the first period. Some teams want a goalie with goals against average under three per game. Maybe we can get one that has goals against average under three per period?

You cannot expect kids to develop properly when all they do is chase the puck or have their goalie let in tons of goals each game. This needs to be addressed

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
In defense of Villalta, that third goal was on the defense.

Can't keep allowing players to skate in the slot

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
In defense of Villalta, that third goal was on the defense.

Can't keep allowing players to skate in the slot
I’m no fan of Villalta, but I don’t think any of the 3 goals were on him. First was a one timer from the left slot from 15 ft, second goal was an unmarked player 10 ft from right slot, and just for good measure, the 3rd goal was from 20ft from the center slot with unlimited time and space. That D needs to tighten up.

Reactions: funky

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I’m no fan of Villalta, but I don’t think any of the 3 goals were on him. First was a one timer from the left slot from 15 ft, second goal was an unmarked player 10 ft from right slot, and just for good measure, the 3rd goal was from 20ft from the center slot with unlimited time and space. That D needs to tighten up.

Neither the second or third goals were bad goals, but those are ones a good goalie stops most of the time:

Clear-sighted shots from the slot go in 7.5 percent of the time. It’s incredibly low — it’s gone from the teens to 7.5 in the five years I’ve been doing this. The postseason, it’s down even more — a 5.29 percent chance to score. We talked a couple months ago about Jack Eichel, how he had 29 shots from the slot and scored seven times. Not off the rush, in zone.

There have been 340 clear-sighted shots from the slot this postseason. And 18 goals. 18! We’re down to 5.29 percent and that hurts because it’s hard for me to explain to coaches. It’s not a good scoring chance. That’s where every other data set out there that’s publicly available would state that as a high-danger scoring chance. And it’s not.

Steve Valiquette on postseason trends and where NHL goal-scoring is headed

To your general point, though, the D definitely needs to tighten up. That's been one consistent all year with the Reign.

Last edited:
Reactions: King'sPawn

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Neither the second or third goals were bad goals, but those are ones a good goalie stops most of the time:

Steve Valiquette on postseason trends and where NHL goal-scoring is headed

While the second one was 10 ft out, it was at a manageable angle.

That said, I agree with the above. The defense hasn't helped, but Villalta hasn't been good enough to bail out lapses.

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup

That said, I agree with the above. The defense hasn't helped, but Villalta hasn't been good enough to bail out lapses.

Agreed. The second was a right shot on the right side. And it looks like you responded before I edited, but I also agree that it's a mix of the defense being bad and Villata not making some saves.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
Seems like the Reign are trying to pass the puck into the net instead of grinding and getting greasy goals. Couple of clear opportunities where someone could have shot, but passed instead. We need more net front presence... is Mersch available for the Reign? Lol

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005

That's certainly true, but it seems like at the AHL level defensive breakdowns in general are very common. Reign players seem like they have numerous outnumbered or breakaway chances as well. The frustrating part is the other teams seem to get those saves from their goalies whereas the big saves are almost non existent for ONT. I think a lot of us who have watched ONT this year feel like our players should have more points than they do simply because they were denied by 'hot' goalies. On the flip side, I think there's a good reason a lot of the top AHL scorers are from that West division courtesy of Vilallta and Berube.

Don't get me wrong, some of those goals scored on Sunday were from prime scoring areas or due to huge defensive lapses, but I've come to the point where I don't even expect a save to be made unless it's routine and even then, I feel like every shot on Vilallata has a decent chance of going in xD

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
That's certainly true, but it seems like at the AHL level defensive breakdowns in general are very common. Reign players seem like they have numerous outnumbered or breakaway chances as well. The frustrating part is the other teams seem to get those saves from their goalies whereas the big saves are almost non existent for ONT. I think a lot of us who have watched ONT this year feel like our players should have more points than they do simply because they were denied by 'hot' goalies. On the flip side, I think there's a good reason a lot of the top AHL scorers are from that West division courtesy of Vilallta and Berube.

Don't get me wrong, some of those goals scored on Sunday were from prime scoring areas or due to huge defensive lapses, but I've come to the point where I don't even expect a save to be made unless it's routine and even then, I feel like every shot on Vilallata has a decent chance of going in xD

Villalta is second-worst (38th) in the entire league in both GAA and SV%. Berube is around 30th for both.

Just for fun, Aidan Dudas has the second-worst plus minus. Byfield, Brickley, Alt, and Clague are in the bottom 20.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Villalta is second-worst (38th) in the entire league in both GAA and SV%. Berube is around 30th for both.

Just for fun, Aidan Dudas has the second-worst plus minus. Byfield, Brickley, Alt, and Clague are in the bottom 20.

I've never been a Villalta fan. He had a ton of talent on those Greyhound teams and I think he became overrated.

TwzKing

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2004
Wouldn't surprise me one bit if they debut Byfield in LA on the first night fans are in the house as a little gift.

F the fans do what is right for the player's development. I want him to come in like Kopi did in his first game.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
F the fans do what is right for the player's development. I want him to come in like Kopi did in his first game.
Just curious, you don't believe getting a taste of the NHL in garbage time is going to cause harm, right?

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
I would expect Byfield to get at least a few NHL games at the end of the season to at least give him some context on what and how much he needs to improve over the summer. He can't play in the AHL next year so better to get his feet wet when there's nothing on the line rather than next season when the team is trying to take another step forward.

Reactions: andys and funky

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Vegas has Reaves. Wild have Foligno. And the Avs don't really have an enforcer, but thats why Vegas and Minny have their way with us. It's because they know they have somebody who will step in and fight for them. We need an enforcer.
Why?The Kings don't need an enforcer and Reeves should have played Football like Papa Williard he's terrible and a goon hockey player which means he stinks in the new NHL and is practically obsolete! Vegas' 3rd line will be Janmark,Glass and Roy with the 4th given to Carrier,Nosek and an up and coming minor leaguer L Elvenas and highly touted Junior/College prospects and 1st rounders Peyton Krebs and Brendan Brisson

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Quick powerplay goal by the Gulls. Reign is almost winless when the opposition scores first. Game might just be over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->