Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi, Pt. IV | Out for remainder of 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
It’s not something I want to do, I want to associate with fellow Canuck fans. I’m not here to dig dirt on members and save it and use it in the future. We don’t always agree but I’m not that type of person.
phew.jpg

Reactions: Luongos Knob

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
I still have faith that Juolevi is going to turn into a valuable Dman for the Canucks. Optimistically, I am hoping that what Juolevi really needed was to correct his knee issue.

There have been plenty of Dmen picked high who took a disappointingly long time to develop. Hickey, De Haan, Forbort... even Ryan Ellis took a while to become the player he is today.

So his knee injury was what required him to have back surgery last summer?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
t got plenty of dirt on the Canuck fans on hfboards who are notorious on calling out prospects, writing them off, and willing to take next to nothing for prospects. love the book mark feature.

It’s not something I want to do, I want to associate with fellow Canuck fans. I’m not here to dig dirt on members and save it and use it in the future. We don’t always agree but I’m not that type of person.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Have to hope he was having knee and back issues prior to his surgeries and now they are behind him and he will come into camp the strongest and fastest he's been. Certainly a bummer but he needed to get stronger so maybe his rehab helps that happen. Hard to believe his ultimate ceiling hasn't been lowered but still holding onto hope he can be a top 4 for us that excels at transitioning the puck.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
So his knee injury was what required him to have back surgery last summer?

I think they are very likely related. Just a matter of witch came first.

A herniated disc can affect innervation of the leg muscles. This can affect your skating motion / weight lifting motion negatively that can the contribute to the meniscus injury, I've just not been able to find out whether the meniscus issue was caused by a trauma or was caused by something over a long period of time (in Finland this would be called degenerative issue, but I think that means something different in English).

Now if he had the knee injury before the back issue, this could in part cause the back issue. If you lack motion and stability in your knee joint weight lifting (and skating too I suppose) can cause issues in your hips and lower back, as these joints and soft tissues are forced to take more of the load to compensate for your shoddy knee.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
HFBoards is notorious for giving prospects TOO MUCH time since this place is literally named Hockey’s Future. Prospects never fail and get endless leeway until they disappear and you don’t hear their name for 5 years down the line.

Wait and see PG... Just wait and see. Have faith, not reason.

Reactions: PG Canuck

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I think they are very likely related. Just a matter of witch came first.

A herniated disc can affect innervation of the leg muscles. This can affect your skating motion / weight lifting motion negatively that can the contribute to the meniscus injury, I've just not been able to find out whether the meniscus issue was caused by a trauma or was caused by something over a long period of time (in Finland this would be called degenerative issue, but I think that means something different in English).

Now if he had the knee injury before the back issue, this could in part cause the back issue. If you lack motion and stability in your knee joint weight lifting (and skating too I suppose) can cause issues in your hips and lower back, as these joints and soft tissues are forced to take more of the load to compensate for your shoddy knee.

He apparently had a previous knee injury before we drafted him. Not sure if it’s the same knee though.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Other teams prospects? Wtf are you talking about child. I’ve been here a lot longer than you cheering on this team.
I’ve said from day 1 this pick was terrible! I’ve said from day 1 this kid wasn’t going to be an impact player! I’ve said from Day ****ING 1 that Tkachuk was the player to draft with his 105 point season on the SAME GOD DAMN TEAM!!!

He may be 20, but he already missed 1 very important year of summer off season training, compound that with now 6 months of hockey missed and another summer!
Please show me the list of players who come back from this type of set back? Do I need to bring up Cody Hodgson’s name here?

Relax. The draft isnt an exact science. You win some and you lose some. Injuries are part of the game, and OJ might come back better than ever.

The Canucks should be counting their lucky stars they lost the lottery and picked Pettersson at 5 (essentially getting the best player in the draft.)

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Relax. The draft isnt an exact science. You win some and you lose some. Injuries are part of the game, and OJ might come back better than ever.

The Canucks should be counting their lucky stars they lost the lottery and picked Pettersson at 5 (essentially getting the best player in the draft.)
List me the players you know who have had major injuries that required major surgery before the age of 22 that came back better than they were EVER in their complete playing career

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
List me the players you know who have had major injuries that required major surgery before the age of 22 that came back better than they were EVER in their complete playing career
Boeser. Demko. Virtanen. Just on the Canucks.
With today’s modern medicine lots of young players suffer major injuries and recover.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
So? You said major surgery. Add Virtanen and Demko too.
I’m pretty big Demko skeptic here pal. You’re not winning an argument with me on him. What surgery was V’s again? Because I honestly don’t remember when that was.
Also a defenceman relies on their knees and back the most for body parts. Knees for pivoting and back for balance and strength.
It’s also different for a know goal scorer to have wrist surgery since his usual main focus in skill building has revolved around his shot, I’d expect Boeser to have much stronger forearms than OJ ever will (despite all the Fortnite)!

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I’m pretty big Demko skeptic here pal. You’re not winning an argument with me on him. What surgery was V’s again? Because I honestly don’t remember when that was.
Also a defenceman relies on their knees and back the most for body parts. Knees for pivoting and back for balance and strength.
It’s also different for a know goal scorer to have wrist surgery since his usual main focus in skill building has revolved around his shot, I’d expect Boeser to have much stronger forearms than OJ ever will (despite all the Fortnite)!
I’m not trying to win an argument with you. You’re showing that you’re not willing to listen anyways. You asked people to name a player who has had major surgery before 22 and came back. I gave you three Canuck players. There’s lots around the lead. Now you’ve moved the goal posts saying the major surgery has to be knee surgery b
Google Chychrun. Two knee surgeries already and he’s the guy a lot of people wanted over Juolevi. He looks fine.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
I’m not trying to win an argument with you. You’re showing that you’re not willing to listen anyways.
Google Chychrun. Two knee surgeries already and he’s the guy a lot of people wanted over Juolevi. He looks fine.
Pal.
He’s fine as a depth defenceman with a medium upside. He’s being used as a bottom pairing guy this year in Arizona (an utterly trash team) with #4 upside. He was also the most physically ready of the defenceman, but had the lowest ceiling of each. Not a great pick but not a terrible pick. Basically Bryan Allen of the new era.
Hell, saying that he’s still blowing OJ out of the water in terms of success rate.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria

How old was Daniel when he had back surgery? Can't remember off the top of my head if he was 22, but it was definitely before his Art Ross / MVP season.

Two major surgeries back to back sucks big time. The silver lining, the injuries could explain all the shortcomings in OJ's game. If he comes back fully healthy, stronger, and faster...well he has already shown he can move the puck at the AHL level so there's still reason to be hopeful he becomes a top 4 and an important piece of our new core.

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
Then we move on. Many high picks don’t work out. Filatov, brule, Barker, dal cole, reinhart, Bryan Allen, it will suck if a 5th pick doesn’t pan out.

Many high picks don't pan out? Some years, 1 or 2 picks in the top 10 are busts. Other years there are no busts in the top 10. So it is more like a small handful of high picks don't pan out or are busts as opposed to many.

Unfortunately for Vancouver, the number 5 pick in the 2016 draft, Oli Juolevi is in real danger of being a catastrophic bust! I HOPE over time, I am proven wrong about this, I really do. But so far, this pick has been a complete failure, and it's not looking good.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Many high picks don't pan out? Some years, 1 or 2 picks in the top 10 are busts. Other years there are no busts in the top 10. So it is more like a small handful of high picks don't pan out or are busts as opposed to many.

Unfortunately for Vancouver, the number 5 pick in the 2016 draft, Oli Juolevi is in real danger of being a catastrophic bust! I HOPE over time, I am proven wrong about this, I really do. But so far, this pick has been a complete failure, and it's not looking good.
I looked at the top 10 from 2005 onward and found that there are often 2 or 3 busts and least one in most years. In 2012 there were 4 including the 1st overall.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I think Juolevi's struggles can almost entirely be related to his health. Missing chunks of your 19 and 20 year old seasons and two offseasons is devastating to development, and the main criticism of avoiding contact is also a natural byproduct of playing through serious injuries.

His body might, maybe, recover from this and be fine moving forward but you can't ever replace lost development time at a crucial point in his development.

Boeser. Demko. Virtanen. Just on the Canucks.
With today’s modern medicine lots of young players suffer major injuries and recover.
I am of the opinion that Virtanen's shoulder surgery is a significant factor in why he is not the top six winger we hoped he be when we drafted him although I'd attribute more weight to how he handled.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Olli has an elite hockey mind with good skill to back it up. I don’t see this injury being a major setback.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I see his forte being mainly transitioning the puck up the ice, and as he's shown in the A, maybe as a PPqb. I won't say he's elite in the hockey sense department overall. His hockeysense is very lacking once a forward is coming at him with the puck.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
His hockeysense is very lacking once a forward is coming at him with the puck.

IMO he's actually good 1 on 1 with a forward attacking him. Keeps a good gap and disrupts a lot of plays with his stick.

Watching him on Utica this season his big weakness is getting beat coming off the wall. had some positioning issues around the net too. skating looked laboured compared to his time with the Knights. Looked less explosive than at 18. Have to wonder how much of it was due to the 2 serious injuries he's had to deal with.

I still see a top 4 dman there longterm. Unless of course injuries continue to derail his future. His passing ability this year didn't just look good, it was basically flawless. His stretch passes will be the best on the team the minute he steps onto the roster.

Reactions: alternate

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Kinda random but Im pretty sure I walked past Olli in front of Rogers arena on Friday night. Is he in Vancouver rehabbing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad