Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi, Pt. IV | Out for remainder of 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Labamba

Too Much 4 CDC
Feb 26, 2013
Shuswap
Brutal. I don't know why anyone even tries to defend this pick anymore. It sucks every way you cut it.

It’s a self coping thing, hook this character to a polygraph and ask him if he is ok with the pick. If those needles don’t fly all over the paper then he is probably a Flames fan.

Labamba

Too Much 4 CDC
Feb 26, 2013
Shuswap
Sergachev is overrated as well. He's basically Ristolainen lite right now. Completely sheltered in Tampa. He's been one of the worst dmen in the playoffs.

It was either Tkachuk/Keller or bust.

It’s too soon to judge Juolevi but the perfect time to sign off on Sergachev AKA Ristolaimen lite.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
It’s too soon to judge Juolevi but the perfect time to sign off on Sergachev AKA Ristolaimen lite.

Im just saying Sergachev isn't the player we should have taken at 5. He's still a work in progress, just like Juolevi. Currently he's Rstolainen lite. Go ask Tampa fans .obviously he can improve but he has to show it, just like Juolevi

BTW. Im not saying these things. Lightning fans are . Read the Sergachev thread on the lightning board

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Im just saying Sergachev isn't the player we should have taken at 5. He's still a work in progress, just like Juolevi. Currently he's Rstolainen lite. Go ask Tampa fans .obviously he can improve but he has to show it, just like Juolevi

BTW. Im not saying these things. Lightning fans are . Read the Sergachev thread on the lightning board

That's not even the argument.

Sergachev and Ristolainen are NHL defensemen. Juolevi isn't even close.

The point is that Juolevi turning out to be as good as Sergachev or Ristolainen now looks like potentially the best outcome from the pick. If Juolevi ever has a ~40 point NHL season it will be a massive win relative to where he is in development currently. That's likely the best case scenario since it's clear he'll likely always be weak defensively and need to be sheltered.

The fact Sergachev wasn't necessarily the "right" pick at 5 doesn't mean he wouldn't have been a better pick than Juolevi. Who is in the running for one of the biggest busts of the draft. The point is we drafted for positional need and didn't even take the right defenseman. Never mind Tkachuk, which is infinitely worse.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015

The Lightning are going through a GOAT choke jobs in the history of sports. In a Lightning fans eyes every player is trash, every player deserves to get benched, I wasn't around here during 2012, but Im going to guess similar thing occurred on this board.

But dont kid yourself, you and every Canuck fan would rather have Sergachev now then Juolevi. If Sergachev was drafted by us he wouldn't be seen as Ristolanien lite by Canuck fans. The Benning Bros would be touting it as a successful pick, he'd be part of the future core, Canuck fans would consider him as one of the better young Dman in the NHL

Labamba

Too Much 4 CDC
Feb 26, 2013
Shuswap

Look at this thread lol. In all seriousness though, at least the Lightning can trade Sergachev for something of value. Juolevi is completely worthless. It would be a poop for poop hockey trade, Jim Benning’s specialty. It’s going to be a “holy crap I gotta put the guy I picked ahead of Mathew Tkachuck on wavers” motivated trade.

Reactions: Scorvat

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
A lot of what is in hindsight? People panning the Juolevi pick? No, the Juolevi pick was questioned from the moment it happened. I questioned it right in the draft thread. So did others. The Canucks passed on a definite top five pick who'd dropped to sixth overall in favour of supposed team needs (although that season's Canucks needed scoring from the wings (and still does today)). I mean, the Canucks could've traded down a few spots, and still possibly gotten Juolevi with a later pick. Tkachuk was the right pick at that spot.
The crowd could be heard gasping and London's play by play commentator or color guy (cant remember which one) said right after on the team 1040 the people from London were very surprised Tkachuk was picked before Juolevi.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
If Juolevi makes the team and can handle 18 minutes a night and puts up 20+ points while playing at least average in his own end, then i think people will get off his case a bit.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
If Juolevi makes the team and can handle 18 minutes a night and puts up 20+ points while playing at least average in his own end, then i think people will get off his case a bit.
Hughes looks more ready than Juolevi. If Hughes sticks, I don't see Joulevi playing any more than a handful of games unless there's alot of injuries.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

That would be a screaming freaking success story to me if he can manage it.

Reactions: Labamba

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
He's supposed to be an elite transition defenseman. That's why he was drafted. There's no indication he can't be that, and couldn't have already been that if not for injury this year. You can't make the NHL if you're injured. Give it a break.

I really liked the player before he was drafted and I like what he can potentially bring to today's NHL with his combination of size and quick transition passing. He would be an exciting guy to add to the team if he can make it next year.

Reactions: Fixxer

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
And if I win the lottery I'll be on easy street. So stop commenting on my poverty....
Same "logic"

Reactions: Wo Yorfat

The Flow

Jan 30, 2018
Hong Kong
this guy hasn't even played a single NHL game yet...lets' not grill the shit out of him just yet. he is only 20, lets see what happens next season. Not everyone develops the same

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
this guy hasn't even played a single NHL game yet...lets' not grill the **** out of him just yet. he is only 20, lets see what happens next season. Not everyone develops the same
If he was a second or third round pick- sure - but he wasn't.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
this guy hasn't even played a single NHL game yet...lets' not grill the **** out of him just yet. he is only 20, lets see what happens next season. Not everyone develops the same

Jim Benning said he wouldn’t be out of place in the NHL at 17. It’s certainly cause for concern when he’s still not there three years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad