Player Discussion: Oliver Wahlstrom

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
That was an incredible shot/release tonight vs the Devils. I was so impressed.

It would be so amazing if he turned into a true sniper. Jeez, when was the last time we had someone with a release like that.

Reactions: bigtim1988

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Wally is a shot in the arm. Isles needed a winger to develop out of Hosang, MDC, Bellows, Holmstrom. 5 times the charm. Looks like a player, a player the scouts badly needed to be right on. What I really like about him other than the obvious goal scoring, which is A important, is he has been surprisingly coachable, and listenable to his veteran teammates. Particularly Pageau. This is the most refreshing part of him. I read he was cocky, confident, maybe not so caring about playing D. Well, I may have been wrong to draw this early conclusion. He earned Trotz's trust, and that was good enough for me. If the coach trusts him, there is good reason. He has the lowest GA60 on the team. Sure he is insulated, but he knows when to play it smart, and what score it is. A simple dump in, no fooling around in the neutral zone in a tight game. Hope he keeps his head on straight. He has impressed me with his smarts more than anything. The goal scoring and playmaking, is all great and just gravy. More to come. Isles will need him to continue to improve if we are to beat a TB this year. He's what and who the Isles needed in game 6 last year.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Came out okay...

F4L5ndL.png

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This quote from Wally says it all. He’s gonna be a great player for us for a long, long time.

This kind of reminds me of the quote from Arbour. RIP coach. When he told GM Torrey, I can teach a player defence, but I can't teach a player to score. Get me Bossy. Now Wahlstrom will never be Bossy, that is a once in a lifetime player. But he sure can be a core player for the Isles in his career.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
this quote is like catnip for a coach like trotz

I almost wonder if Wally and his agent carefully crafted this quote to get him more ice time :sarcasm:
Maybe. He's said it twice now in two different pressers. Struck me as a mature way to approach it.

I suspect all these kids have always been the best player on the ice and everything hockey-wise has come easy until they hit the NHL. Being able to adapt like that mentally would be a big difference between him and, say, HoSang...

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Dat release tho...

The kid continues to impress, playing the right way and sniping goals. Get excited folks.
And I love how he skated the puck out of the defensive zone. He seemed comfortable with the puck on his stick - not just a guy who will park on the half board waiting to get fed on the PP. He took it from his own end, skated with confidence and used the defenseman as screen to get off a blistering - and quick - shot. Should the goalie have stopped it? Maybe, but if you keep taking those shots, good things will happen....as they did last night.

Sometimes young guys don't want the puck on their stick that long. Wahly seems to have that confidence building that is so important in this game.

We just need one more winger to develop.....(imagine if we took Kalieyev instead of Holstrom?)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad