Player Discussion: Oliver Wahlstrom

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Congrats to the kid for scoring a legit NHL goal against the Bruins, I'm very encouraged by what I'm seeing from him. He's playing better every game and he's in a good spot flanking Pageau.

My confidence has never rally wavered in him, he is quite young for his draft class and is still just 20 years old. I think we have a player here. I think the goals are gonna start coming in bunches, but he’s playing a complete game that is going to make Trotz happy.

Excited to see how his game develops this year.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yep, notice too. He seems to be getting more and more comfortable each week. And Trotz's trust seems to be growing with him. I posted this the other day, he has the lowest GA60 ES on the Isles, Pageau has the 2nd lowest, and lowest of over 200 mins ES. Pageau has been good for Oliver. A big positive this year is the Isles 2018 picks at #11 and #12 are both regulars in the NHL.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Wahlstrom is always moving and seems to be doing all of the little things that will keep him in the lineup. Like you, I have a feeling the goals and points will start accumulating in bunches.

I am still a little bothered that Carolina got lucky and won the NHL draft lottery, in order to select Andrei Svechnikov, in between the Isles firsts, but I also didn't think that Dobson or Wahlstrom would be available.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Yep, notice too. He seems to be getting more and more comfortable each week. And Trotz's trust seems to be growing with him. I posted this the other day, he has the lowest GA60 ES on the Isles, Pageau has the 2nd lowest, and lowest of over 200 mins ES. Pageau has been good for Oliver. A big positive this year is the Isles 2018 picks at #11 and #12 are both regulars in the NHL.

Now, if only we could get Bellows going at some point... ;)

Reactions: Tahoeblue

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Now, if only we could get Bellows going at some point... ;)
There seems to be something in his game or something we do not know why Trotz sat him originally, he came back in, and Trotz didn't throw him under the bus, but did say enough to make you think will he get back in? For now it looks like MDC and Wahlstrom have moved ahead of him. Bellows has had a tough time since testing positive for performance enhancers.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
He’s playing the right way. Most encouraging thing to me is that he’s forechecking hard and creating opportunities. We all know about his tremendous shot and his skills but his play away from the puck is what’s been impressive for a guy who’s only 20 years old and has been an offensive guy his whole life.

maybe not this year but his future is trending towards Barzals RWer

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
This is going to sound like the weirdest question ever, but I must ask.

I was noticing Wahlstrom reminded me of someone. That someone is from a semi-famous meme which I can't seem to FIND!!! If anyone can help. I would greatly appreciate!

1025312ceaaa3fca3b64f590ff0e6d23.gif

It definitely looks like this pic of him...

iu

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
I was watching that draft on my phone returning from a friends wake in NJ and couldn't believe our luck that Wahlstrom and Dobson were both on the board .
My friend was driving, a Ranger fan and when the Islanders made their selections I was ecstatic! He didn't understand my excitement.
I was a big fan of Wahlstrom watching him play along side Hughes for team USA you could see the talent.
A shooter that has ability to get to the good ice and a big strong kid that has no problem driving the net.
Did I mention an amazing release.

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
I'm shocked at what a complete game he has brought this season. I figured he would be more one dimensional and that it would hurt him in Trotz eyes, but he's been physical, back checking and has had a good attention to detail.

Still a little too much of the puck like a grenade on his stick when he's not in shooting position, but otherwise I'm very very happy with his development.

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
At the beginning of the season, when you looked at the cap crunch the team was/remains in, you had to know that either Bellows or Wahlstrom would need to step up for the the team to be able to roll line 3 with lines 1, 2 and 4. Over the first 10 games or os, you saw Barry basically say, "I'll be damned if I'm not getting Pager on the ice." and just throw him out there seemingly (but not) indiscriminately. With Oli showing himself not only serviceable, but capable to hold his own against more experienced players while remaining true to his calling card in select spots (that shot!!!!) the rest is up to him to just work his ass off and get in peak physical condition. I note that he's building that last bit.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

BARzalDOWN

Apr 20, 2007
He’s playing the right way. Most encouraging thing to me is that he’s forechecking hard and creating opportunities. We all know about his tremendous shot and his skills but his play away from the puck is what’s been impressive for a guy who’s only 20 years old and has been an offensive guy his whole life.

maybe not this year but his future is trending towards Barzals RWer
Agree. Let him continue to develop playing alongside pager for now. My fear is if he plays with barzy, we won’t see that continued growth of a 200 ft game. Eventually, though, those two are going to be great together.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
i am excited about him. he seemed to be just what we needed.

a big body winger, who can snipe, with a bit of grit. nice.

what surprised me most, this year, is that he is playing a 200' game. that, and his skating is better than i imagined. not quick, but can get some pretty decent speed going, for a big guy.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Agree. Let him continue to develop playing alongside pager for now. My fear is if he plays with barzy, we won’t see that continued growth of a 200 ft game. Eventually, though, those two are going to be great together.

I'm not worried about Wahlstrom continuing his development. Trotz and staff will make sure he doesn't forget why he is earning his ice time. He is showing the traits that made him a top draft prospect, but the uptick in his overall game has been a delight to watch. Last year's 9-game NHL stint and playing pro hockey in the AHL at 19 years old is paying dividends now.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I'm shocked at what a complete game he has brought this season. I figured he would be more one dimensional and that it would hurt him in Trotz eyes, but he's been physical, back checking and has had a good attention to detail.

Still a little too much of the puck like a grenade on his stick when he's not in shooting position, but otherwise I'm very very happy with his development.
At times Wahlstrom seems like he's trying to shoot the puck through the goaltender. As he matures he'll learn that he may have more time than he thinks to make an extra move to get into an even better spot to shoot. Wally skates well and I think we'll start see him use all the tools in his toolbox.

Reactions: buud

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
At times Wahlstrom seems like he's trying to shoot the puck through the goaltender. As he matures he'll learn that he may have more time than he thinks to make an extra move to get into an even better spot to shoot. Wally skates well and I think we'll start see him use all the tools in his toolbox.

I'm not sure where this narrative that Wahlstrom is not a good skater came from. He may not be a burner, but almost all the draft reports cited his skating as a positive. From what I've seen, he has zero issues getting around the ice.

Good point about having more time than he thinks, that's just going to take time. I think he is still hyper focused on doing the right things so the natural ability is still a bit suppressed. The goal last night where he had the 2nd assist on his own goal was a thing of beauty, no hesitation and that was him doing his thing and not over thinking it.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm not sure where this narrative that Wahlstrom is not a good skater came from. He may not be a burner, but almost all the draft reports cited his skating as a positive. From what I've seen, he has zero issues getting around the ice.

Good point about having more time than he thinks, that's just going to take time. I think he is still hyper focused on doing the right things so the natural ability is still a bit suppressed. The goal last night where he had the 2nd assist on his own goal was a thing of beauty, no hesitation and that was him doing his thing and not over thinking it.

I've mentioned his agility and shiftiness a few times now, I don't have any issues with his skating at the moment. Maybe the way he looks when skating is deceiving people? He moves well enough and is quicker than a handful of guys on the roster.

Reactions: crashthenet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad