Player Discussion: Oliver Wahlstrom

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
...soo....how long until he's playing with Barzal?

I kind of like how spread out the scoring has been lately. Feels like we have 2 second lines right now and the Barzal line is producing so I don’t see any reason to shake it up. All three top lines are posting a xGoals% in the top 30 in the league - this is EXACTLY what we want to be seeing

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
It's always fun looking back on what Bob Mckenzie wrote about a prospect in his Final Draft Rankings. Here's Wally's.

9. Oliver Wahlstrom. The American winger from the U.S. National Development Team program started out as a nine-year-old YouTube sensation who scored a dazzling highlight-reel shootout goal at a Boston Bruin game, but he’s all grown up now at 6-foot-1 and 200-plus pounds. He’s an elite shooter and goal scorer. Some say he’s somewhat one dimensional — “He needs a good centre to get him the puck because he’s not good at getting it himself,” one scout said — but what a dimension to have because scouts project him as a potential first-line scoring winger in the NHL.

“He needs a good centre to get him the puck”

Once he forces his way on Barzals wing it’s going to be magically. Barzal finds guys and constantly creates space for his line mates. Put a legit sniper with him and Barzal will give him time and space to get the rocket off.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
tenor.gif

one of my favorite movies. The acting was top notch from Jamie Foxx to Leo to Christoph Waltz and Don Johnson. Loved it.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I kind of like how spread out the scoring has been lately. Feels like we have 2 second lines right now and the Barzal line is producing so I don’t see any reason to shake it up. All three top lines are posting a xGoals% in the top 30 in the league - this is EXACTLY what we want to be seeing

I've said it for years on here, stacking your top line is a a bad strategy. If your third line is scoring goals, how many more goals are expecting to get by shifting the players around?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
“He needs a good centre to get him the puck”

Once he forces his way on Barzals wing it’s going to be magically. Barzal finds guys and constantly creates space for his line mates. Put a legit sniper with him and Barzal will give him time and space to get the rocket off.
All goal scoring wingers need a Center to get them the puck. Bossy had Trottier, Hull had Oates. I found that one a bit chummy.

Reactions: SI90

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
God has the Devil. The Beatles needed The Rolling Stones. Even Diane Sawyer needed Katie Couric. Will you be my Katie Couric?

God made the Devil just for fun . . . when he wanted the real thing he made Aja Kong!

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
I don’t know about that anymore. Wahlstrom seems like he’s more than willing to get into the dirty areas to retrieve the puck, and he has enough speed to create space for himself

He looks very good so far

Reactions: Old Man Perriwinkle

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
All goal scoring wingers need a Center to get them the puck. Bossy had Trottier, Hull had Oates. I found that one a bit chummy.

Absolutely! I just think he was talking about going into the right situation with the right guy. Barzal is the right he guy. Not all centers are created equal when it comes to play making.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Absolutely! I just think he was talking about going into the right situation with the right guy. Barzal is the right he guy. Not all centers are created equal when it comes to play making.
One day SI90, Trotz may decide to load up one line. I think he had Ovie with Wilson and Backstrom. That was a formidable line. I just posted a video in the Barzal vs Marner thread on the mainboard. Funny we see polls popping up when Marner is playing in the snowflake division, while Barzal is playing in the division of death. One day we may see this, Wally is just starting to ascend. Which is exciting.

Reactions: SI90 and PWJunior

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
One day SI90, Trotz may decide to load up one line. I think he had Ovie with Wilson and Backstrom. That was a formidable line. I just posted a video in the Barzal vs Marner thread on the mainboard. Funny we see polls popping up when Marner is playing in the snowflake division, while Barzal is playing in the division of death. One day we may see this, Wally is just starting to ascend. Which is exciting.
That thread is toxic...its actually worse that the thread that it was created from.

Reactions: PWJunior

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
That thread is toxic...its actually worse that the thread that it was created from.
When the usual suspects are involved, it usually is. I stayed out of it until just a few hours ago. There is a reason why I love Matt Martin, when someone needs reminding, he will step in. Weakness, strength or impulse? I don't know. But I saw some Isles fans, and Pens SidneyKidney taking on the gang, I couldn't let them do it themselves.

Reactions: mm11

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
When the usual suspects are involved, it usually is. I stayed out of it until just a few hours ago. There is a reason why I love Matt Martin, when someone needs reminding, he will step in. Weakness, strength or impulse? I don't know. But I saw some Isles fans, and Pens SidneyKidney taking on the gang, I couldn't let them do it themselves.

It's pointless arguing with stupidity and delusion so I stay out of those threads. I just read it and laugh at the idiots.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's pointless arguing with stupidity and delusion so I stay out of those threads. I just read it and laugh at the idiots.
Hey PW, that's probably good advice. I am getting better at that, but I did take some satisfaction using their own words posting the link of Marner's playoff struggles, and trying to imply how Barzal has not elevated the Isles in the playoffs. Short memories.

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
I feel the same way. Im just waiting for someone to realize that if Barzys production fell off because of Tavares leaving....then the same can be said for the Islanders defense. Its like calling Tavares the worst defensive player of a generation...lol

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Hey PW, that's probably good advice. I am getting better at that, but I did take some satisfaction using their own words posting the link of Marner's playoff struggles, and trying to imply how Barzal has not elevated the Isles in the playoffs. Short memories.
lets be real TWS, you get yourself into trouble sometimes :laugh:

public leaf fan enemy #1 at this point

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl

It's uncanni TWS, I like to reference #13 has NHL hardware and (4) playoff seasons under his belt in 3 years. I don't seem to get much of a rebut then. Good seeing you in there though

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I read through more of it than I should have and thought about joining, but then decided I don't care. They can have the better player, as long as we still have the better team.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Heaven forbid you say in that thread you think Barzal is better then Marner. The leafs fans triggered right away and start with there useless stats. Everyone with half a brain knows if Barzal played in an up tempo system his point total would be just as good as Marner. I don’t care about the points really i know how good Barzal is and he showed already he can perform at a high level in the playoffs. Wins is all that matters that is the Lou and Barry way. No I in team!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad