Player Discussion: Oliver Wahlstrom

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
I like the way he plays. Has a physical element. Looks like he will be a high volume shooter. Based on how well he and Dobson are playing, is it too much to hope that they got the Wilde pick right?

Reactions: YoureMyBoyLou

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I like the way he plays. Has a physical element. Looks like he will be a high volume shooter. Based on how well he and Dobson are playing, is it too much to hope that they got the Wilde pick right?

I think it is. Manage your expectations. Dobson & Wahlstrom were top 15 picks, Wilde fell to the 2nd round with good reason, despite having incredible raw skills and I think on all accounts, will be considered more of a "project".

I don't watch enough BPT to make a conclusive statement so I'll let others speak on that....

I am really impressed with how Wahlstrom is coming along. Like many others, I expected an offensive juggernaut and it appears he has bought into Trotz system. It may take a while for the scoring to come but I feel once it does, we're going to have an element the team has been missing for more than a decade, that elusive scoring winger.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Wahlstrom is doing all the little things right. Backchecking, digging in the corners, driving the net, and checking. The goals are gonna start coming in bunches. He is our most gifted goalscorer. He can score from outside the dots with his shot and he will pick up goals while driving the net. We got a good one here.

Eventually he will be stapled next to Barzal.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
liked his goal last night. He followed the play on instinct and was in the right place to finish. Nothing too flashy at all but was good to see. Think the Isles drafted a gamer here. Heck, he is still 2o, same age as one of the raggies hot shot lottery picks. keep it going kid

Reactions: danteipp

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I'm not sure where this narrative that Wahlstrom is not a good skater came from. He may not be a burner, but almost all the draft reports cited his skating as a positive. From what I've seen, he has zero issues getting around the ice.

Good point about having more time than he thinks, that's just going to take time. I think he is still hyper focused on doing the right things so the natural ability is still a bit suppressed. The goal last night where he had the 2nd assist on his own goal was a thing of beauty, no hesitation and that was him doing his thing and not over thinking it.
Wahlstrom’s skating is just fine. If anything it’s Bellows’ skating that’s questionable.

Reactions: bigtim1988

BARzalDOWN

Apr 20, 2007
I'm not worried about Wahlstrom continuing his development. Trotz and staff will make sure he doesn't forget why he is earning his ice time. He is showing the traits that made him a top draft prospect, but the uptick in his overall game has been a delight to watch. Last year's 9-game NHL stint and playing pro hockey in the AHL at 19 years old is paying dividends now.
I’m with you on that. Based on everything I’ve read, he’s outperformed my expectations and then some. My only concern would be a regression if we put him in more of an offensive first role. It suits his game more but a bit more maturation would be beneficial. Plus poor pager needs someone to play with, bellows has been a big disappointment for me.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I'm not sure where this narrative that Wahlstrom is not a good skater came from. He may not be a burner, but almost all the draft reports cited his skating as a positive. From what I've seen, he has zero issues getting around the ice.

Good point about having more time than he thinks, that's just going to take time. I think he is still hyper focused on doing the right things so the natural ability is still a bit suppressed. The goal last night where he had the 2nd assist on his own goal was a thing of beauty, no hesitation and that was him doing his thing and not over thinking it.
His straight line speed is good; it's more things like his edges, acceleration and lateral movement that I think still need work for him to be the kind of player who can create separation and generate chances on his own. It's not to the point where I think it's a problem area, just something that may hold him back from being a more dynamic scorer. He has a good shot and scoring instincts, so even if his skating doesn't improve, I think he'll still be able to score on chances generated by his linemates, but skating is still an area I hope to see him improve on.

But I do love seeing his focus on his all around game right now, and agree that his offense should come along naturally as he gets more comfortable.

DOCHockeyGuy

Jan 8, 2019
Wisconsin
I have a lot of confidence that he’s going to be a really good player and I think it’s obvious he’s earning Barry‘a trust more and more. The goals are going to come in bunches for him but for now I’m just thrilled with how he’s playing a 200 ft game

Reactions: Olliemets and Lek

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
His straight line speed is good; it's more things like his edges, acceleration and lateral movement that I think still need work for him to be the kind of player who can create separation and generate chances on his own. It's not to the point where I think it's a problem area, just something that may hold him back from being a more dynamic scorer. He has a good shot and scoring instincts, so even if his skating doesn't improve, I think he'll still be able to score on chances generated by his linemates, but skating is still an area I hope to see him improve on.

But I do love seeing his focus on his all around game right now, and agree that his offense should come along naturally as he gets more comfortable.
Yes, to score on the rush more he should be able to change the angle of attack slightly. Right now he has shown moderate elusiveness and maneuverability on his skates. He will never be Barzal (no one will be lol) but when I watch Pastrnak, that is the model. Wally is mainly a straight-ahead locomotive with a great release and velocity on his shot.
Just following his shot to the net will get him many more goals. Adding better maneuverability to edges, stop/starts, could make him an elite scorer such as Pasta.

Reactions: Jethro and Seph

scott99

May 13, 2005
Not surprised a Massachusetts kid has a WICKED shot...

What I like about it, is that he gets it on net. And if he doesn’t score, it’s such a hard, heavy shot, it’ll cause rebounds. And then on the flip side, notice how the Penguins went out to him on the other PP goal, he was smart enough to fake like he’s shooting and it opens up space for others.

Reactions: ML19

scott99

May 13, 2005
I dont know if we have had a guy that can shoot the puck like that in my lifetime
It’s been a while. Wahlstrom has had an NHL shot since before he was even drafted. Pulock has a ridiculously hard shot, but Wahlstrom gets it on net a majority of the time.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Wahlstrom with his first multi-point game. Loving what I'm seeing, Dat shot though...

The kid says he's enjoying playing the right way, he gets it. Bright future for him.

He's playing the right way and getting rewarded, what's not to like?

Reactions: buud

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
It’s been a while. Wahlstrom has had an NHL shot since before he was even drafted. Pulock has a ridiculously hard shot, but Wahlstrom gets it on net a majority of the time.

Pulock has a ridiculous shot, but its not accurate. Wally seems like he can and wkll pick corners. That goal tonight reminded me of something very few players in the world could consistently do (Stamkos,Ovechkin, Laine esq.)

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Pulock has a ridiculous shot, but its not accurate. Wally seems like he can and wkll pick corners. That goal tonight reminded me of something very few players in the world could consistently do (Stamkos,Ovechkin, Laine esq.)

I thought the same thing... which is why I want to see him do it again before I get TOO pumped. That being said, even when he’s not cranking our absolute snipes he’s been a beast with or without the puck and I think he’s going to just keep getting better and better

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Wally has looked so good over the last 7-8 games.

What’s even more impressive is he’s got 5pts over his last 5 games and he’s only playing about 10:00 TOI a game.

He’s still young but if he keeps it up he’s definitely earning more Ice time per game. Kids playing 200ft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad