Player Discussion: Oliver Wahlstrom

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Nice to see this 2o year kid just rip it. Even better not seeing a Thread pumping his tires on the main HF forum. I guess us Islander fans have guarded optimism. Anyway, hope this young guy keeps shooting and hitting and can be consistent. Think we may have a gamer here. Plays a heavy NHL game to boot!

It's also because Isles fans have witnessed adding shiny new toys to their roster and still sucking. Unless you are getting a super rare generational talent or have some unique scenario where a good team got a high pick, adding even a 1OA to a team that sucks often results in a team that... still f***ing sucks, despite everyone on HF getting amnesia every offseason.

All offseason we read about how Buffalo was going to be good (again) and the Rangers and Devils had a lot of good players on paper so they were going to be good of course. All before those teams actually did anything. It's always the "every player is a year older" and "we have this new 18-19 year old" when in reality the most common result is it takes years of progression to be good. Just like it's taking years for the Pens and Caps to suck. Those cores know how to win, esp the Caps.

Some of these players are going to be a nightmare to play against in a few years, but right now they aren't on teams that are good enough. People act like our core players like Nelson, Bailey, Leddy, Clutterbuck, Zeeker, Martin, etc haven't been to the playoffs half a dozen times together already. It takes some time. Whenever I see a bunch of 18-21 year old high draft picks in the top 6, I figure that team is likely going to suck. You could make good money on that around HF. Sounds like a team with high end young talent from previous years of sucking and shitty veteran players that can only fill bottom 6 roles and likely no defense because of how long it takes to develop. How many teams does that describe? It's the starter pack for the main board thread of "team X is going to be good next year".

What's really fun about being an Isles fan now is watching Wahlstrom develop. He gets eased into the lineup, is learning how to play the right way, gets sheltered minutes until he earns more, and is then rewarded with more opportunity. He's being put in a position to succeed, and not saying anything about the future for Lafreniere or how good he'll be, but he's not being put in a position to succeed right now. That team is a Bravo TV show off the ice and just not a very good hockey team on the ice, not to mention he's bounced around that lineup like a pinball. f*** that. I had to watch the Isles do that for most of my life. I'll enjoy this for as long as it lasts.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
It's also because Isles fans have witnessed adding shiny new toys to their roster and still sucking. Unless you are getting a super rare generational talent or have some unique scenario where a good team got a high pick, adding even a 1OA to a team that sucks often results in a team that... still f***ing sucks, despite everyone on HF getting amnesia every offseason.

All offseason we read about how Buffalo was going to be good (again) and the Rangers and Devils had a lot of good players on paper so they were going to be good of course. All before those teams actually did anything. It's always the "every player is a year older" and "we have this new 18-19 year old" when in reality the most common result is it takes years of progression to be good. Just like it's taking years for the Pens and Caps to suck. Those cores know how to win, esp the Caps.

Some of these players are going to be a nightmare to play against in a few years, but right now they aren't on teams that are good enough. People act like our core players like Nelson, Bailey, Leddy, Clutterbuck, Zeeker, Martin, etc haven't been to the playoffs half a dozen times together already. It takes some time. Whenever I see a bunch of 18-21 year old high draft picks in the top 6, I figure that team is likely going to suck. You could make good money on that around HF. Sounds like a team with high end young talent from previous years of sucking and shitty veteran players that can only fill bottom 6 roles and likely no defense because of how long it takes to develop. How many teams does that describe? It's the starter pack for the main board thread of "team X is going to be good next year".

What's really fun about being an Isles fan now is watching Wahlstrom develop. He gets eased into the lineup, is learning how to play the right way, gets sheltered minutes until he earns more, and is then rewarded with more opportunity. He's being put in a position to succeed, and not saying anything about the future for Lafreniere or how good he'll be, but he's not being put in a position to succeed right now. That team is a Bravo TV show off the ice and just not a very good hockey team on the ice, not to mention he's bounced around that lineup like a pinball. f*** that. I had to watch the Isles do that for most of my life. I'll enjoy this for as long as it lasts.

I'm going to make a thread on the main board..."Is Oliver Wahlstrom actually Hawkeye?"

Reactions: 13th Floor

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Nice to see this 2o year kid just rip it. Even better not seeing a Thread pumping his tires on the main HF forum. I guess us Islander fans have guarded optimism. Anyway, hope this young guy keeps shooting and hitting and can be consistent. Think we may have a gamer here. Plays a heavy NHL game to boot!
Guarded optimism is right. Quite a bit of over the top commentary being thrown around and I get it, that shot, that release, the location, the velocity, but maybe more than anything else, the instinctiveness of it. There was nothing forced or robotic about it (unlike Pully), it appeared to be almost effortless (in a good way). Still, not sure we can anoint him as "the answer" just yet but the trend is good.

BarzyClub

Jan 17, 2018
It's a wicked shot with a fast release. I'm also very encouraged that he has a good idea of when to let it go or when to use the threat of it to make a pass. His playmaking skill is underrated.
*I had a post written out this morning about this point but it disappeared ... fml so I’m writing this at work an my lunchbreak. *

That’s what exciting me the most about this kid. When he was drafted he was described as a first line sniper so we’re all thinking Patrick Laine. The passes that he made in the last two games on the powerplay Show that he isn’t a one trick pony.

Very excited to see this kid develop. It’s just the tip of the iceberg but we’re looking at the winger for Barzal that we’ve all been waiting for and he’s got it all- shot, playmaking ability, skating and he’s a big body that doesn’t shy away from the dirty areas.

Last edited:
Reactions: buud and PWJunior

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Serious question - did his PP goal tip off Letangs stick?

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

For those of you who've bet the ponies on occasion (and shouldn't we all since Belmont will be our home) there's a perfect analogy.

Don't bet on the the horse that's 0 for 23 in the win column because he's due or looking better.

Better to put your money on a horse that's proven they know how to win and preferably has a good jockey (like Trotz).

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong

This is a great post! You nailed it!

Reactions: Old Man Perriwinkle

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
It's a wicked shot with a fast release. I'm also very encouraged that he has a good idea of when to let it go or when to use the threat of it to make a pass. His playmaking skill is underrated.

Everyone needs to go back and watch the Pageau goal on the PP from last night. It all came from Wahlstrom faking the shot and passing it over. He is the real deal and the Dobson-Wahlstrom selections are going to make us all sit here in five years and thank Snow for making the trade and thank Lou for not trading one of the picks.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I remember being super excited when Snow drafted this kid. I knew this kid was going to be the future sniper the Isles needed.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I'm also relieved Wahlstrom seems to be the real deal. I mean, he's just what the doctor ordered! Top 6 offensive ability with a high end shot. I think it's obvious now why LL hasn't really added to the top 6. Wanted to see if the kid could bring it.

Reactions: buud

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
It was just one goal, but it exemplifies this kid's bread and butter. He's learning (and will continue to) how to get to the soft spots in the NHL to rip those lasers. Big difference between him and Pulock (besides the release) is that Pulock is too stationary and telegraphs exactly what the world knows he's standing there for, as a result the defender is already in the lane and the goalie is square.

Wahlstrom is moving, passing, deking, gliding in for rebounds, then pulling back to various regions around the circle; he's more active.

Also, he goes to the net for goals too, so he's more than a one-trick pony. If he continues to develop his skating, sense, and strength I could see consistent 30 goal seasons in the mold of Max Pacioretty.

Reactions: buud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad