Player Discussion: Oliver Wahlstrom

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Glad the Rangers outsmarted us and took Kratstov.

Just to add some more perspective on the divergence of the two players, and hopefully I link this correctly:

It is a log of all of Kraptsov's 16 KHL goals.

Almost all on the doorstep and below/inside the dots. Many with space he will NOT find in the NHL.

In the NHL, bigger defensemen in the Metro (proper) will bounce his rail-thin frame all over the ice and into the boards.

Meanwhile, we have seen Wahlstrom sneak into the dirty area to score a goal and snipe an absolute rocket into the upper corner of the net.

Obviously it is still very early, but when I look at Wahlstrom, I see a slightly bigger T.J. Oshie.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Just to add some more perspective on the divergence of the two players, and hopefully I link this correctly:
I'm hoping he could be something like Oshie or Hoffman.

It is a log of all of Kraptsov's 16 KHL goals.

Almost all on the doorstep and below/inside the dots. Many with space he will NOT find in the NHL.

In the NHL, bigger defensemen in the Metro (proper) will bounce his rail-thin frame all over the ice and into the boards.

Meanwhile, we have seen Wahlstrom sneak into the dirty area to score a goal and snipe an absolute rocket into the upper corner of the net.

Obviously it is still very early, but when I look at Wahlstrom, I see a slightly bigger T.J. Oshie.

I'm hoping for a Hoffman or Oshie. And I'm really happy about being wrong about the 2018 draft because I wanted bouchard and kravtsov

Reactions: danteipp

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Wahlstrom's emergence this year and his continued progression will be huge, it gives the Isles a much needed 3rd option for offence. If the Isles can get the top 3 lines playing well, and the ID line to be the ID line, with Sorokin and Varly playing well. This could be a year like last year's. Realistic shot at going deep in the playoffs again. Wahlstrom is still only 20, there is a lot of upside to his game.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Nice to see this 2o year kid just rip it. Even better not seeing a Thread pumping his tires on the main HF forum. I guess us Islander fans have guarded optimism. Anyway, hope this young guy keeps shooting and hitting and can be consistent. Think we may have a gamer here. Plays a heavy NHL game to boot!

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
The key for Wahlstrom is going to be consistency since we have so many streaky forwards. It would be nice to have a goal scorer we can rely on.

Consistency is typically the last thing a young player is able to attain, but Wahlstrom is in a really good situation.

Trotz said something like "he's learning to play hockey for the first time in his life" last year when Wahlstrom got his 9-games. It's a good sign that the kid is receptive to coaching and willing to work on his game to be a complete player. The offensive upside is starting to show more now, but he's positively contributing all over the ice.

Riding shotgun and being mentored by Pageau is also no small thing either, it should pay big dividends down the line if/when Wally ascends the lineup in a top-6 and hopefully top line role.

Wahlstrom's development and possible emergence is a big plus so far. With Dobson and Sorokin performing well too, our future main core is starting to materialize.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Wahlstrom's emergence this year and his continued progression will be huge, it gives the Isles a much needed 3rd option for offence. If the Isles can get the top 3 lines playing well, and the ID line to be the ID line, with Sorokin and Varly playing well. This could be a year like last year's. Realistic shot at going deep in the playoffs again. Wahlstrom is still only 20, there is a lot of upside to his game.
Not sure if we go as deep as last year. The schedule is so tough, so just making the playoffs will be tough. That being said, you have to be thrilled how the rookies are playing.

I feel bad for Bellows, I wish I could see a line of Bellows-Pageau-Wahlstrom for 5 games, also wished Bellows had gotten some PP time like Wahlstrom has. Bellows has a great shot as well. But I’m excited about Wahlstrom, he really has taken advantage of his opportunities.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Nice to see this 2o year kid just rip it. Even better not seeing a Thread pumping his tires on the main HF forum. I guess us Islander fans have guarded optimism. Anyway, hope this young guy keeps shooting and hitting and can be consistent. Think we may have a gamer here. Plays a heavy NHL game to boot!

Considering we had Wahlstrom and Dobson fall into our laps due to decisions made by other teams ahead of us, there is far less insecurity and butt hurt.

We rarely talk about other team's prospects because we're not the ones who f***ed up.

Plus I agree that we more guarded in our optimism.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Not sure if we go as deep as last year. The schedule is so tough, so just making the playoffs will be tough. That being said, you have to be thrilled how the rookies are playing.

I feel bad for Bellows, I wish I could see a line of Bellows-Pageau-Wahlstrom for 5 games, also wished Bellows had gotten some PP time like Wahlstrom has. Bellows has a great shot as well. But I’m excited about Wahlstrom, he really has taken advantage of his opportunities.
It's going to be tough. Agreed there. I think a lot will depend on how the young guys progress. If Dobson, Sorokin, and Wahlstrom continue to progress. Injuries are also a factor. The Isles have been lucky that none of the starting 6 D have been banged up this season. We know from exp that an injury to Pelech last year derailed them. Lots of factors, but I always said, if the 3rd line was a factor in offensive production, this would be a tough team to handle, it looks like this is starting to take shape.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

I didn't see the game where Bellows really shit the bed but based on the criticism from Trotz, he clearly was pretty bad. That being said, I'd still love to run the guy out there again and see what he can do. Its a huge boon if we can develop him as well. Considering our cap situation, developing these young guys on the inside is key to our short term AND long term success. Bellows and MDC give us some redundancy in the development process but it doesn't mean anything if either/both can't grab a regular spot in the lineup and produce. Making Leo and Ross (as much as I like him) simply 4th line extras is huge.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
I dont know if we have had a guy that can shoot the puck like that in my lifetime
You must be too young to have seen Bossy. The only other guy who's shot would be comparable in terms of wickedness would be JT. He may have been more of a playmaker than a pure shooter but he could light up the lamp as well. And isn't it ironic how little he is discussed in terms of Islanders history?? It's like he never even existed!

Duanesutter12

Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
It’s been a while. Wahlstrom has had an NHL shot since before he was even drafted. Pulock has a ridiculously hard shot, but Wahlstrom gets it on net a majority of the time.
Pulock is also only a snapshot, Wally can blast it or snap one off.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
You must be too young to have seen Bossy. The only other guy who's shot would be comparable in terms of wickedness would be JT. He may have been more of a playmaker than a pure shooter but he could light up the lamp as well. And isn't it ironic how little he is discussed in terms of Islanders history?? It's like he never even existed!
Dave Chyzowski had a great shot. He never worked out unfortunately.

Duanesutter12

Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
I didn't see the game where Bellows really shit the bed but based on the criticism from Trotz, he clearly was pretty bad. That being said, I'd still love to run the guy out there again and see what he can do. Its a huge boon if we can develop him as well. Considering our cap situation, developing these young guys on the inside is key to our short term AND long term success. Bellows and MDC give us some redundancy in the development process but it doesn't mean anything if either/both can't grab a regular spot in the lineup and produce. Making Leo and Ross (as much as I like him) simply 4th line extras is huge.
I think there are things we just will never see or know that the coaches look at totally different. I'm certainly no expert but I thought he looked good all year. He looked active on both ends and even created some offensive tries at a time we were really struggling. Clearly I not only don't know my ass from my head but Barry saw things entirely different. I'll go with Barry's instincts on this one.......

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
For me the biggest thing yesterday was hearing him after the game talking about how doing the work to be a complete player is fun, and that he is enjoying it. Many young scorers balk at "doing the work" necessary to become a player than can be relied on in more than a scoring situation, and Wahlstrom seems to have taken to Barry's ethos quite well.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Wally has looked so good over the last 7-8 games.

What’s even more impressive is he’s got 5pts over his last 5 games and he’s only playing about 10:00 TOI a game.

He’s still young but if he keeps it up he’s definitely earning more Ice time per game. Kids playing 200ft
I too am very excited with what Wahlstrom has been doing, but I wouldn't read too much into the TOI there. Of those 5 points, there was only one point that wasn't put up on the PP and it came as the last goal in the third period of what was already a blowout. And he has been averaging about 2.5 minutes a game of PP time in those 5 games, so he certainly hasn't been hurting for TOI there.

That said, PP has looked much better with him on it, and that's been something we've badly needed, so I certainly am not trying to take a shot at him here either.

Reactions: Jethro

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'm not penciling him in as a 20+ goal scorer just yet, but that's the best release we've seen in an Islanders uniform in some time. It's a laser every time he lets one go.

It's a wicked shot with a fast release. I'm also very encouraged that he has a good idea of when to let it go or when to use the threat of it to make a pass. His playmaking skill is underrated.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

Yep, missed the dynasty years. My first memories are of Palffy and the mid to late 90's teams.

Reactions: bstash19

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It's a wicked shot with a fast release. I'm also very encouraged that he has a good idea of when to let it go or when to use the threat of it to make a pass. His playmaking skill is underrated.
You spent too much time around Boston.

Reactions: JKP

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Pageau + Wahlstrom is a really nice third line punch, I actually like Dal Colle with them for now because he can just play off the two righties and isn’t expected to carry the play at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->