Player Discussion: Oliver Wahlstrom

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Was trying to think of who he reminds me from all the years I've watched the sport and the 2 that come to mind stylistically are Rick Martin and Bill Barber.

We'd be blessed if he turns out like either of them

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Was trying to think of who he reminds me from all the years I've watched the sport and the 2 that come to mind stylistically are Rick Martin and Bill Barber.

We'd be blessed if he turns out like either of them
Bill Barber??? The fall down king of South Philly. That cheap bastard was the biggest POS on the Flyers.

I think you mean Reggie Leach. He had the rifle of a shot and a writer to go with it.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Lmao “Lil Mike and the gang”

upload_2021-3-3_12-32-52.jpeg

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Bill Barber??? The fall down king of South Philly. That cheap bastard was the biggest POS on the Flyers.

I think you mean Reggie Leach. He had the rifle of a shot and a writer to go with it.

Yeah, was thinking more like Leach or even Ric Vaive.

Reactions: doublechili and MJF

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I think Wahlstrom is a better skater than Boeser and Wally is exhibiting the potential for a more complete game.

They both have the wicked releases for sure though.

Something else to remember is he is already listed as 6'2" - 205 at age 20. He might end up 6'3" and 220 all filled out and now you have a true power forward. He's already shown a pretty good knack for working the corners.

Reactions: PWJunior

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Something else to remember is he is already listed as 6'2" - 205 at age 20. He might end up 6'3" and 220 all filled out and now you have a true power forward. He's already shown a pretty good knack for working the corners.

I'm not too concerned about current and future size, Wahlstrom isn't a weak smurf. The kid isn't afraid to engage and do the little things, that's what is probably the most encouraging thing about him. The shot and offensive ability have always been there.

The kid talks the talk and is walking the walk on the ice. He has Pageau as his mentor. Trotz is his coach. He's in a great situation.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
He's unafraid of contact.
Trotz said recently he has to get a bit leaner, a bit more fit, and stronger on his skates. That's just pro training. By next year there will be a difference in those regards.
BEAST

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
It's gotta be bittersweet for MDC watching this guy bring exactly what he was supposed to bring years ago. He is a team player and I'm sure he is happy for Wahlstrom but deep inside he is racking his brain on how he get can get his shot off, which was supposedly his strongest attribute when he was drafted and also a tool he put to use in the AHL.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's always fun looking back on what Bob Mckenzie wrote about a prospect in his Final Draft Rankings. Here's Wally's.

9. Oliver Wahlstrom. The American winger from the U.S. National Development Team program started out as a nine-year-old YouTube sensation who scored a dazzling highlight-reel shootout goal at a Boston Bruin game, but he’s all grown up now at 6-foot-1 and 200-plus pounds. He’s an elite shooter and goal scorer. Some say he’s somewhat one dimensional — “He needs a good centre to get him the puck because he’s not good at getting it himself,” one scout said — but what a dimension to have because scouts project him as a potential first-line scoring winger in the NHL.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
not to fully be on the Wally bandwagon yet but I seem to recall in the world Juniors our Wally was an agitating villain as well for Team USA. Seems to have alot of boxes I like to check off. LGI!

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It's always fun looking back on what Bob Mckenzie wrote about a prospect in his Final Draft Rankings. Here's Wally's.

9. Oliver Wahlstrom. The American winger from the U.S. National Development Team program started out as a nine-year-old YouTube sensation who scored a dazzling highlight-reel shootout goal at a Boston Bruin game, but he’s all grown up now at 6-foot-1 and 200-plus pounds. He’s an elite shooter and goal scorer. Some say he’s somewhat one dimensional — “He needs a good centre to get him the puck because he’s not good at getting it himself,” one scout said — but what a dimension to have because scouts project him as a potential first-line scoring winger in the NHL.
JG Pageau could be that center :nod:

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad