Oilers win 4-1

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Why? Those two likely won't net us a return that we really need, and Eberle is so overvalued after becoming a "star" with those 76 points last season around the league he probably could. The way fans of this team overrate Eberle after last season is disgustig.

The way some of you are throwing him under the bus this season is even more disgusting, shameful even. Where were all you geniuses last season when Eberle was doing great? Probably busy praising him like just about every other Oiler fan.

Koto

May 3, 2011
He's a solution in the sense that he's going to land us missing parts that we will need to become a true contender going forward.

This.

I'm curious... what do you think Eberle could get us?

A #2 Dman...like Kulikov, McDonagh

I'm fine with losing Eberle if that gets us a #1 defenseman.
And i mean #1, not potentially #1 or possibly #1.

I'd rather see Hemsky bundled with someone, but i don't see that getting us a #1 D back unless we give up a lot more than just Hemsky...

that is so unrealistic, not even hall or rnh would bring a true in the flesh #1D back.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
The way some of you are throwing him under the bus this season is even more disgusting, shameful even. Where were all you geniuses last season when Eberle was doing great? Probably busy praising him like just about every other Oiler fan.

Well,we've got so many needs on this team(that the management are basically ignoring)that I feel like we will need to move him to address them.Plus, we've too much salary locked up in a core that I don't think are good enough to bring Lord Stanley here.

n7

Oct 15, 2011
Edmonton
This.

A #2 Dman...like Kulikov, McDonagh

that is so unrealistic, not even hall or rnh would bring a true in the flesh #1D back.

I realize we might need to package.
My point being simply that i do like Eberle, but i'd be okay with him being traded as long as we really get something great back.

I'm not an Eberle hater or anything; if at all possible i'd rather we keep him and move Hemsky instead, but i don't really see how we could possibly package Hemsky to get a true #1/2 D back without giving up way too much in picks, etc.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
There was talks at the beginning of the season that it was expected that the cap was expected to go down for the next season.

It cant go down below 64.3 the entirety of this CBA. Their revenues of this shortened season have been astonishing so far.

So im not sure what you are reading.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
It cant go down below 64.3 the entirety of this CBA. Their revenues of this shortened season have been astonishing so far.

So im not sure what you are reading.

I was just watching a game on CBC at the start of the season and there was a report that the Salary Cap was expected to take a big drop for the next season.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I was just watching a game on CBC at the start of the season and there was a report that the Salary Cap was expected to take a big drop for the upcoming season.

It goes from 70.2 this year to 64.3 next year, so if thats what your saying, yes its true. Expect it to be back up to 70 + the year after though, without a doubt.

Like I said it cant go lower than 64.3 ever in this CBA.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Cherry picking results against the worst club in the league?

When Eberle starts finding any consistency and all round play against good clubs and performances let me know. Other than feasting on weak sisters he's a one dimensional player, with no shred of all round play in his sytem, who is easy to play against on most nights.

A world of difference in the value a Hall vs Eberle represents. Eberle would be a classic example of peak value. This kid just isn't getting much better and lacks the drive to complete his game. Kid is content to ride the offensive trick pony that got him here. This will never be a complete player.

I've got to be honest... I find your view on Eberle, after years of your defense of Gagner a little bit... confusing.

Gagner has perennially been an abysmal defensive hockey player. Soft, one dimensional and one of the most consistently inconsistent players we have had. But you defend him to a fault. Jordan Eberle on the other hand is a one trick pony who will never be complete?

Eberle's season last year was by a large margin significantly better than anything Gagner has ever done in his career. And even this season, where Eberle is having an off year and Gagner is having a career year, Eberle is only 4 points behind him and when you look at advanced statistics has been a better 5v5 hockey player. Yes he has played with better linemates, but he has also been matched up against much tougher opposition.

You are blind to a player here. I'm not sure if it is Eberle or Gagner. Likely a bit of both.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
:amazed: I am sooooo glad guys like you don't have a say. Eberle has been playing with a broken finger and you want to run him out of town? I guess you want RNH gone as well because his numbers weren't there as well this year.

Go back and watch the first 15 games or so and tell me how much space the opposition was giving Eberle or RNH this year. Teams were zeroing in on the kids big time. The Oilers had nobody stepping up to those tactics.

The Oilers need to lose the fat and fill the holes with beef, not trim the tenderloin.

I'm not running him out of town, if we want to trade for something of value we have to trade value. If you don't know that works and think that you can trade PRV, Hemsky, Harti, Peckham, altogether to get a large forward, #2C, or top pairing dman, then you are ignorant. Not saying to trade Eberle for a 1st round pick, never have, its just if you have trade someone he is what you are going the most for unless you trading one of the 1st overalls.

oilers9799

Mar 29, 2005
Eberle will not be traded, the Oilers have a hard enough time dealing with free agents, you don't trade a young guy that you just signed for 6 years coming off his entry-level deal because he's had a bit of an off year.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
some quick math. if its wrong, my bad:

Eberle has 10 games with points against "current playoff teams" and 11 games with points against "current non-playoff teams". the rest of the games he put up a goose egg.

by rough count, 22 games of the 43 games have been against current playoff teams (this could fluctuate, obviously).

45% of the time he's put up at least a point against current playoff caliber teams.(10 / 22)
52% of the time he's put up at least a point against current non-playoff caliber teams (11 / 21)

48% of all games he puts up a point

(this is written like an SAT question)

this doesnt tell all about his overall game, of course.

Not sure what you are pointing out, is he consistent or inconsistent? Is he streaky?

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010

Last season, we didn't expect to have a first overall pick and draft Yakupov, another RW, and most likely a better RW than Eberle will be. I was expecting a Dman getting drafted and the need for Eberle would be much greater than now. But when you draft BPA rather than for need, you have eventually trade someone to address the needs. Eberle, we all like him, is going to get the best return other than the #1s.

Allot of people are thinking emotionally rather than logically.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Last season, we didn't expect to have a first overall pick and draft Yakupov, another RW, and most likely a better RW than Eberle will be. I was expecting a Dman getting drafted and the need for Eberle would be much greater than now. But when you draft BPA rather than for need, you have eventually trade someone to address the needs. Eberle, we all like him, is going to get the best return other than the #1s.

Allot of people are thinking emotionally rather than logically.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Eberle won't be traded.

Despite having an "awful" season, he is a whopping ONE GOAL removed from leading this team in goals ... again.

He is Taylor Hall's best friend and half the fanbase has his jersey. He's in TV commercials and quite frankly has become the face of the franchise (as much as people want to say Hall, it's really Eberle). People underestimate the logistics of dealing him, it would piss off Hall and like 70% of the fanbase. And heaven help you if you don't win that deal, you are going to be chased out of town. No one in Edmonton is going to give a **** that you "filled some needs" if he goes on to score 35-40 goals somewhere else.

Having two RWers that can score is a GOOD THING people, you cannot compete in this league without offensive depth. We finally have enough talent to ice two good offensive lines for the first time in 20 years and people want to throw it away because RNH (just as guilty as Eberle) and Ebs have had a rough 30 game stretch? Yeah this couldn't possibly backfire, lol.

RNH and Hall are not Crosby/Malkin/Ovy level talent, they need other scoring talent to surround them. You can't just put role players around Hall/RNH, they're not generational talent. They need IMO at least 2-3 other high end forwards around them, otherwise they're just a one line team.

Honestly I think people overstate what this team needs. How many "huge moves" did the Islanders make this year? Were they dumb enough to trade any of their core pieces? No, and they're getting to the playoffs basically off patience. And Tavares is a year older than Hall. I liken our rebuild to basically being a year behind theirs.

Last edited:

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Eberle won't be traded.

Despite having an "awful" season, he is a whopping ONE GOAL removed from leading this team in goals ... again.

He is Taylor Hall's best friend and half the fanbase has his jersey. He's in TV commercials and quite frankly has become the face of the franchise (as much as people want to say Hall, it's really Eberle). People underestimate the logistics of dealing him, it would piss off Hall and like 70% of the fanbase. And heaven help you if you don't win that deal, you are going to be chased out of town.

Having two RWers that can score is a GOOD THING people, you cannot compete in this league without offensive depth.

RNH and Hall are not Crosby/Malkin/Ovy level talent, they need other scoring talent to surround them. You can't just put role players around Hall/RNH, they're not generational talent. They need IMO at least 2-3 other high end forwards around them, otherwise they're just a one line team.

Honestly I think people overstate what this team needs. How much "huge moves" did the Islanders make this year? Were they dumb enough to trade any of their core pieces? No, and they're getting to the playoffs basically off patience. And Tavares is a year older than Hall. I liken our rebuild to basically being a year behind theirs.

Just like our management.Friendship is more important than the franchise.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Just like our management.Friendship is more important than the franchise.

It's an issue if you piss off and alienate your other supposed "franchise player" I think.

They might as well be brothers at this point.

What happens if such a deal backfires (which it very, very easily could?). Then you have Hall who's been here for 4 years, pissed off at the franchise already on top of dealing with Eberle being traded. How long until he asks to be dealt?

Whether people want to admit it or not there are huge logistical problems to dealing Eberle on top of it being something that very, very likely would come back to haunt us for many years.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Some of you are being way too harsh on Eberle. Saying things like he will never develop an all around game is ridiculous. He's in his third year and despite having a crappy season he's still putting up decent numbers. He's also led the team in scoring the last two seasons. I doubt the Oilers bring in a guy that would be worth dealing Eberle for. Eberle in an off-year is still a better player than Gagner.

By the way, and this is off-topic, did anyone notice that Horcoff's got seven goals in 26 games this season? That's at least a 20 goal pace over 82 games. Who knew?

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
It's an issue if you piss off and alienate your other supposed "franchise player" I think.

They might as well be brothers at this point.

What happens if such a deal backfires (which it very, very easily could?). Then you have Hall who's been here for 4 years, pissed off at the franchise already on top of dealing with Eberle being traded. How long until he asks to be dealt?

Whether people want to admit it or not there are huge logistical problems to dealing Eberle on top of it being something that very, very likely would come back to haunt us for many years.

You can't sit back either if you're offered a deal that will improve this team inexchange for Eberle .

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Everyone on this team is more concerned about their 'friendships' than what is really going on with this franchise.:laugh:

I'm just looking at it realistically, you think this would sit well with Taylor Hall?

I think it's a stupid idea just based on hockey reasons too. You can bet your ass a lot of Calgary and Vancouver fans will be pulling out champange if we ever dealt him.

It was the same thing with me when Vancouver dealt Hodgson, I was really relieved because I didn't want to deal with him for the next 10 years even though they "filled a need" in return.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012

I was not one of the people that developed a man-crush on Eberle last season. I didn't think the points were a true indicator of his play, people were misled by what they saw in the box score, but i promise you I wasn't one of them.

If it comes down to trading Eberle or one of the 1st overalls, then it's Eberle for me AINEC.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You can't sit back either if you're offered a deal that will improve this team inexchange for Eberle .

I would need to be offered Lucic AND Hamilton.

Or Tavares.

Or Stamkos.

The asking price would be very ... verrrrry high.

Not dealing him based on some "needs" like third line freaking center and an ok d-man, no way in hell. If you can't get those types of pieces from Gagner, Hemsky, Paajarvi, Petry, EDM 1st 2013, then you're simply a bad GM.

It's just classic Oiler fan mentality, if you're not playing well you can be traded, but that's the epitome of making a decision based on emotion rather than logic. If he has 10 hot games again I would bet $1000 you would back off even the suggestion of a trade and never mention it again quietly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad