Oilers win 4-1

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
I don't know. I guess I just don't agree with his mentality.

If a coach of mine said, "Come on, guys! Let's try to be the 10th worst(thank you ;)) team in the league!", I'd probably laugh in his face.

In my opinion, the only thing you should be playing for is pride at this point. Not some imaginary goal.

Pride is an image, goals are attainable. It's about being accountable for every minute you put that uniform on. You play the game to win.

Plus if you have ever had a good coach you wouldn't laugh in his face

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Are you guys kidding me? What coach wants to lose? What coach is going to publicly say "oh yeah disappointing win tonight we were hoping to work our way into the bottom 5." Winning should always be a goal.

I somewhat agree with you guys wanting to lose and try and snag Barkov, but no matter how imcompetent he may be, this is an NHL coach we're talking about. His job is to win.

Also, I'm sure his goal was the playoffs when the season started. Now we're out so do you expect him to say "well, fat chance we're making the playoffs this team blows, we're going to go out there and lose."

Jeez, I rag on Kreuger as much as the next guy, but this is ridiculous.

Bang on. We all know a higher pick the better, but cmon he's the damn coach.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah, who would want Monohan or Barkov?:shakehead. Idiot. Fire him already.

You expect him to say that he wants the Oilers to just lose out the rest of the way? Krueger may be an incompetent coach, but no other coach in history in this same position would say that they were shooting for a top 5 spot.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If we win 4 of our next 5 games, they'll be perfectly on par for how many games I predicted we'd win in the final ten games... I think... we DO have 5 games left, don't we?

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
images

He is not the advertised motivator he was sold as when hired that is for sure. How can a player or fan feel good with those comments.

Glad Eberle is showing up now, hopefully his stock value rises. And maybe we finally have a sell high GM. Hey somebody was asking where we were.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Why only 3 pages when we win? Wow this board is fickle

Not much controversy to discuss in the game. We handily beat a very bad hockey team, but we are not any closer to realizing our potential or making the postseason. There are only so many posts that can cover how well Eberle played.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Why is everyone so up in arms about Krueger's comment about finishing 21st?

Isn't it good that we don't just roll over and die so that we can draft a few spots higher every year? That should breed a loser mentality if anything.

It's about trying to finish as high as you realistically can, and I'm perfectly okay with that. Way too many people blatantly choose to interpret this as though the goal was 21st when the season started just because they dislike Krueger.

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
Any other team and we'd have lost this one.

Nice to see Ebs look like the guy i loved last season...just too bad he cannot perform the same way against teams with D...

agreed. Hall got to walk right in on that first goal. Ebs had a good game against soft D. its good for their confidence but that folds fast against real teams. hopefully with maturity and experience that will change with the kids. quicker the better.

keep in mind: crappy vets do not help kids grow either. kind of like having crappy parents.

Dubnyk also was getting peppered on a few shifts. he probably should have got one of the stars.

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
Isn't it good that we don't just roll over and die so that we can draft a few spots higher every year? That should breed a loser mentality if anything.

i dont care about the placement. the loser mentality should come from them watching video and seeing that their execution as a team - overall - is crap.

having the illusion that your team execution reflects this "21" number doesnt help you grow really.

and: they could still finish in the bottom two of the west...

Sethis

May 9, 2004
Only got a chance to see the third last night, but glad about all the Eberle reports. I think if you look at how things have gone for him this year as opposed to every one since he was drafted it's the first where he's had to deal with real adversity, both with injuries and issues off the ice.

Development has to take the mental state into account, and Ebs had to figure out how to play focused through adversity this year. We all know he's had an off year, but he's still on pace for 60 in a full season. I think we'll see a tougher, more mature kid coming out the other side of the summer.

edit: I've been waiting for them to put 91-93-14 together FOREVER. How did they look?

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Why is everyone so up in arms about Krueger's comment about finishing 21st?

It's about trying to finish as high as you realistically can, and I'm perfectly okay with that. Way too many people blatantly choose to interpret this as though the goal was 21st when the season started just because they dislike Krueger.

Have you seen this place lately? It's been pretty bad

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Why only 3 pages when we win? Wow this board is fickle

it's only 3 games because how bad the oilers are. we've all kind of given up on the season.
the last few games mean nothing.
just waiting to see if the oilers complete another tank job and remain one of the worst teams in the history of hockey, if not professional sports.

czar99

Nov 19, 2008
Shultz'z Place
images

He is not the advertised motivator he was sold as when hired that is for sure. How can a player or fan feel good with those comments.

Glad Eberle is showing up now, hopefully his stock value rises. And maybe we finally have a sell high GM. Hey somebody was asking where we were.

:amazed: I am sooooo glad guys like you don't have a say. Eberle has been playing with a broken finger and you want to run him out of town? I guess you want RNH gone as well because his numbers weren't there as well this year.

Go back and watch the first 15 games or so and tell me how much space the opposition was giving Eberle or RNH this year. Teams were zeroing in on the kids big time. The Oilers had nobody stepping up to those tactics.

The Oilers need to lose the fat and fill the holes with beef, not trim the tenderloin.

czar99

Nov 19, 2008
Shultz'z Place
Only got a chance to see the third last night, but glad about all the Eberle reports. I think if you look at how things have gone for him this year as opposed to every one since he was drafted it's the first where he's had to deal with real adversity, both with injuries and issues off the ice.

Development has to take the mental state into account, and Ebs had to figure out how to play focused through adversity this year. We all know he's had an off year, but he's still on pace for 60 in a full season. I think we'll see a tougher, more mature kid coming out the other side of the summer.

edit: I've been waiting for them to put 91-93-14 together FOREVER. How did they look?

Uhm what issues has he had off the ice???

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
The Avalanche suck, they aren't in it emotionally and weren't physical. Oilers will still get the crap beaten out of them in the remaining games against decent teams who care.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Re Kruegers comments. I simply say you can't have it both ways. If you are going to publically come out and state out goal is to be 21st then I'm going to take you to task if you fail in that goal. Either it is a very importnat thing or not so if he wants to make that a big goal fine, but if you fail I'll blast you for failing and not pat you on the head like a mini mite.

I really hope Ralph with the players is not like this all the time and putting on his motivational speaker 'the little engine that could' hat all the time because coaches that are all postive all the time are just as full of **** as the guys who are all negative all the time.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
it's only 3 games because how bad the oilers are. we've all kind of given up on the season.
the last few games mean nothing.
just waiting to see if the oilers complete another tank job and remain one of the worst teams in the history of hockey, if not professional sports.

this

****, I'm not even watching the games anymore which rarely occurs with me. I imagine the current Oiler ratings are extremely poor. Theres just no reason, none, to continue to watch another futile wind down to another futile season where half the players in the lineup don't care.

Went to Cowboy Junkies last night, saw a great performance. Better still I got to miss the hockey game.

What an epic battle. Oilers vs Av's Two worst teams in the WC slugging it out.

****, vote for relegation. :laugh:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Where is all the "trade Eberle" posters? :shakehead

This guy better not be going anywhere with the new regime at the helm

Or should I say old regime LOL

Cherry picking results against the worst club in the league?

When Eberle starts finding any consistency and all round play against good clubs and performances let me know. Other than feasting on weak sisters he's a one dimensional player, with no shred of all round play in his sytem, who is easy to play against on most nights.

A world of difference in the value a Hall vs Eberle represents. Eberle would be a classic example of peak value. This kid just isn't getting much better and lacks the drive to complete his game. Kid is content to ride the offensive trick pony that got him here. This will never be a complete player.

Six in O6

Feb 24, 2009
Edmonton
Where is all the "trade Eberle" posters? :shakehead

This guy better not be going anywhere with the new regime at the helm

Or should I say old regime LOL

After Hemsky and Gagner, he's next. Good offensive nights can hide his poor defensive play, but it doesn't mean it's not still there. Especially considering how much it cost us this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad