Pre-Game Talk: Oilers VS Jets -Oiler fly home for 48 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Sadly someone did predict this. I thought it was likely sarcasm based on how stupid our coach is. Guess the coach is more clueless that I could have imagined.
I can understand the reasoning from the perspective of getting a look at Bouchard beyond the Oilers 9th game; however, there has to be a reasonable replacement on RHD when he sits, and Benning has not proven to be that.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Hate that Bouchard is out. I get that we really do need Benning to turn it around, and not playing does not help that, but it should not be at the expense of Bouchard.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Khaira has been pretty quiet this year. Not really doing much in bottomsix but then again Pulju isn't either. Of course either would look a lot better with Drai as Center but of the bottomsix Rieder has earned some time with Drai.
What, you don't have any faith in Ryan Strome?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Khaira has been pretty quiet this year. Not really doing much in bottomsix but then again Pulju isn't either. Of course either would look a lot better with Drai as Center but of the bottomsix Rieder has earned some time with Drai.

Now Drai just needs to earn some time with better players ;)

Khaira has been doing his thing, the biggest issues is that both our bottom 6 centers have been complete non factors.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
A person could earn a good chunk of coin by betting on the dumbest things the Oilers could do.

Maybe throw Benning on the first power play unit.

But then they’d have to change every other player on the top unit to being right handed as well.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
My only hope is that Bouchard is banged up or bagged from traveling around the world in the last 7 days. Throw Benning in there to give him a rest and then leave him in once he is recovered. Only rationale thing I can think of.

Decision probably not based in rationality though.

I won't do this often, but Bouchard is 18, and a D, invariably it makes sense to bring these in slowly and not overwhelm them. The last thing the Oilers should be doing is forcefeeding an 18yr old Bouchard into the lineup. Sure he's good, sure he's better than Benning, but sure his development would probably be helped by not being up here at all. It seems we've entered into that area again as fans where we are prepared to accept hindering development of a good prospect to want the player in the show, right now.

The past narrative is that this is what bad orgs do.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Sadly we will play some more dump and chase hockey and play right into the Jets gameplan.

Yep. With the Jets its the one thing you can't do exclusively. Have to mix it up so they don't know. Hellbuck is effective with the puck. usually dumping it in is just watching him play it quickly to a D. Before you even arrive.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Need to see the D without Bouchard as it could be the way it looks in a couple of weeks. I think the plan is to return Bouchard, call up Bear and have Gravel and Jones as the first call up options.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I won't do this often, but Bouchard is 18, and a D, invariably it makes sense to bring these in slowly and not overwhelm them. The last thing the Oilers should be doing is forcefeeding an 18yr old Bouchard into the lineup. Sure he's good, sure he's better than Benning, but sure his development would probably be helped by not being up here at all. It seems we've entered into that area again as fans where we are prepared to accept hindering development of a good prospect to want the player in the show, right now.

The past narrative is that this is what bad orgs do.
You're right. I guess my judgement is clouded by my anxiety related to Benning playing against a high powered offence.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
The funny thing is LD is a point per game, RNH and Lucic are on pace for 50 points. How much more production is reasonable to expect out of those three? I don't disagree that at times some guys aren't looking good, bu those 3 are still producing the way you'd want.

Points don't tell the story. They aren't getting anything done without 97.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Points don't tell the story. They aren't getting anything done without 97.
They are still finding a way to put them up. They need to be better, but the guy has 3 points in 3 games. The fact that only 5 forwards have points is more alarming right now

Reactions: Duke74

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If Bouchard is out for Benning we are going to allow at least 2 more goals. Probably a 6-2 loss?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
They are still finding a way to put them up. They need to be better, but the guy has 3 points in 3 games.

The way is by playing with McDavid. They can't piss adrop without him

The fact that only 5 forwards have points is more alarming right now.

6 players total. And every single one has been with McDavid. So yeah, we need to see something from our $15M second line.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
If Bouchard is out for Benning we are going to allow at least 2 more goals. Probably a 6-2 loss?
If Benning is third pair it is tolerable. Must be going Nurse and Russell again on 2nd pair, which I liked.
It is an indictment on Chia that the only two RH options are a 7/8 in Benning and a raw 18 yr old.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The funny thing is LD is a point per game, RNH and Lucic are on pace for 50 points. How much more production is reasonable to expect out of those three? I don't disagree that at times some guys aren't looking good, bu those 3 are still producing the way you'd want.

TM wasn't wrong when he said our bottom 6 need to be better, but at some point that also should include Rattie and KY who are next in ice-time with only 1 point combined.

Klef as well needs to be better. The guy has one less missed shot than he does on net.

If we're being honest, every single player outside of McDavid needs to be better.

I can't think of one player outside of Talbot last game that has performed up to par or at the most a select few, I'd say Rieder and Russell have come as advertised, Lucic compared to last seasons' abomination has been passable as well. Everybody else needs to pick up their play so I don't get why certain players get targeted outside of the fact that they make more than others.

TMac has a habit of laying the blame with a certain group of players while absolving others of blame. In this case, the entire team has been sluggish outside of a few exceptions. If the supporting cast doesn't improve and soon, this season could be over before it begins.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Theres multiple reasons not to trade for benning but one wouod be that you can get him free off of waivers in one month.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad