Pre-Game Talk: Oilers VS Jets -Oiler fly home for 48 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
If we're being honest, every single player outside of McDavid needs to be better.

I can't think of one player outside of Talbot last game that has performed up to par or at the most a select few, I'd say Rieder and Russell have come as advertised, Lucic compared to last seasons' abomination has been passable as well. Everybody else needs to pick up their play so I don't get why certain players get targeted outside of the fact that they make more than others.

TMac has a habit of laying the blame with a certain group of players while absolving others of blame. In this case, the entire team has been sluggish outside of a few exceptions. If the supporting cast doesn't improve and soon, this season could be over before it begins.

Because the players who make the big bucks are the ones who are supposed to be leading the way. The only guys who look like they are worth more than a million bucks so far are 97 and 93.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

Not that it's any less stupid, but at least Benning is on the third pairing where he belongs.

McLellan probably figures Benning can handle the Jets toughness better than Bouchard. Too bad Benning can't handle actually playing defense though. At least Bouchard can pass the puck and is playing within himself.

I wonder how McLellan will handle the tough media questions after the Jets forwards (which McLellan should be more concerned about) torch Benning tonight.
"Todd, Matt Benning had a tough game again tonight. Why did you put him back in the lineup after he wasn't in the lineup for the win against the Rangers? Typically coaches stick with the same lineup after a win."
"Because I'm smarter than you. Next question."

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
LB should be the starter for this team not trashbot. Another firable move by chia.
Are you kidding. LB was horrible outside of a couple games when he was first called up. He was so bad Mclellan refused to play him. If there was a fireable offense involving LB it was that Chiarelli didn’t replace him a year and a half sooner not that he didn’t promote him to starter.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Looking at the numbers, there's just five Oilers who are break even or better in terms of goals at 5v5: McRatKins, Bouchard and Russell. What's really interesting is that there are five Oilers who've been on the ice for zero goals for and zero against: Strome, Jesse, Cagguila, Khaira and Garrison (though he's played just a hair over 10 minutes). This team needs to get something going and fast.

Reactions: PulYou

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Because the players who make the big bucks are the ones who are supposed to be leading the way. The only guys who look like they are worth more than a million bucks so far are 97 and 93.

While that's true, hockey is a team sport and if you have two anchors tied to your ankles it's tough to gain traction. It doesn't help that the coach can't figure out combinations that work.

Point being that everybody from coaches to non-McDavid players need to be better or this ship will sink for good and soon. They need to get something out of somebody, rarely have I seen a hockey team get so little out of everybody outside of one player for 3 straight games. Poor defense, inconsistent goaltending and hardly anything resembling a prime scoring chance from 3 lines. It's time to wake up and play with some urgency.

Reactions: PulYou

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I can’t even imagine the rationale behind this...maybe Bouchard is banged up a little? Maybe Stauffer is wrong? Or most likely that McLellan is a moron?
They don’t want those nine games racking up too quickly. This move just emphasizes how weak the blue line is. What a mess.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I won't do this often, but Bouchard is 18, and a D, invariably it makes sense to bring these in slowly and not overwhelm them. The last thing the Oilers should be doing is forcefeeding an 18yr old Bouchard into the lineup. Sure he's good, sure he's better than Benning, but sure his development would probably be helped by not being up here at all. It seems we've entered into that area again as fans where we are prepared to accept hindering development of a good prospect to want the player in the show, right now.

The past narrative is that this is what bad orgs do.
I’m really surprised by this. I thought as fans that we’d learned this lesson by now.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
While that's true, hockey is a team sport and if you have two anchors tied to your ankles it's tough to gain traction. It doesn't help that the coach can't figure out combinations that work.

Point being that everybody from coaches to non-McDavid players need to be better or this ship will sink for good and soon. They need to get something out of somebody, rarely have I seen a hockey team get so little out of everybody outside of one player for 3 straight games. Poor defense, inconsistent goaltending and hardly anything resembling a prime scoring chance from 3 lines. It's time to wake up and play with some urgency.

I'm not sure urgency is the biggest issue as much as the fact the team isn't very good.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm not sure urgency is the biggest issue as much as the fact the team isn't very good.

It's certainly a part of it. I watch a lot of hockey and the Oilers don't play nearly as hard as other teams. There are less talented teams that are finding a way to make it tough on the opposition.

Even compare this to their play of the first half of last season in which they lost some games they deserved to win and this team pales in comparison based on the first 3 games. If they battle for territory, they will start to win more puck battles and create more chances. Whether or not it's good enough to compete for a playoff spot is the question but they are certainly capable of more than this impotent team we've seen thus far.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Last game our defence held up for once and our forwards continued to do nothing.

Better switch up the defence and keep the forward lines the same!

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
It's certainly a part of it. I watch a lot of hockey and the Oilers don't play nearly as hard as other teams. There are less talented teams that are finding a way to make it tough on the opposition.

Even compare this to their play of the first half of last season in which they lost some games they deserved to win and this team pales in comparison based on the first 3 games. If they battle for territory, they will start to win more puck battles and create more chances. Whether or not it's good enough to compete for a playoff spot is the question but they are certainly capable of more than this impotent team we've seen thus far.

I hope so because this:

EDM

isn't gonna cut it.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
McLellan probably figures Benning can handle the Jets toughness better than Bouchard. Too bad Benning can't handle actually playing defense though. At least Bouchard can pass the puck and is playing within himself.

I wonder how McLellan will handle the tough media questions after the Jets forwards (which McLellan should be more concerned about) torch Benning tonight.
"Todd, Matt Benning had a tough game again tonight. Why did you put him back in the lineup after he wasn't in the lineup for the win against the Rangers? Typically coaches stick with the same lineup after a win."
"Because I'm smarter than you. Next question."
My god... Benning against those Jets Forwards...... this could get ugly quick. Matt Benning is an AHLer playing as a 4-5 with the Oilers ...... hot dam. Matt Benning ladies and gentleman... Matt f*** Benning.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Hilarious. I thought to check what the lineup would be on twitter and before I did I was assuming something stupid like Benning back in and Bouchard out.. Sure enough that's exactly what it looks like.

Brilliant decision making McLellan. Take out the defenseman who has actually shown the most composure with the puck for the one who handles it like a grenade. Should work out wonderfully against the Jets.

It's comical how poor of a coach he is.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

I watched the Wild play the Preds yesterday and it looked like both were battling for their playoff lives.

You watch an Oiler game and they take it less seriously than the preseason. It was like that a lot last year too for almost everyone except 97.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
My god... Benning against those Jets Forwards...... this could get ugly quick. Matt Benning is an AHLer playing as a 4-5 with the Oilers ...... hot dam. Matt Benning ladies and gentleman... Matt f*** Benning.

He's playing bottom pairing but ok.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
I watched the Wild play the Preds yesterday and it looked like both were battling for their playoff lives.

You watch an Oiler game and they take it less seriously than the preseason. It was like that a lot last year too for almost everyone except 97.
Watching Carolina and Toronto is also a treat right now. Push the pace, assertive forecheck, can't say that Carolina has a more talented roster than Edmonton, so it isn't that. I get the sense our plodders - Drai, Lucic, Khaira - do not allow that type of game, which is alarming

Reactions: RegDunlop

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Hilarious. I thought to check what the lineup would be on twitter and before I did I was assuming something stupid like Benning back in and Bouchard out.. Sure enough that's exactly what it looks like.

Brilliant decision making McLellan. Take out the defenseman who has actually shown the most composure with the puck for the one who handles it like a grenade. Should work out wonderfully against the Jets.

It's comical how poor of a coach he is.
Comical and yet seriously unfunny. He's going to cost us another season

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Watching Carolina and Toronto is also a treat right now. Push the pace, assertive forecheck, can't say that Carolina has a more talented roster than Edmonton, so it isn't that. I get the sense our plodders - Drai, Lucic, Khaira - do not allow that type of game, which is alarming

The coach doesn't like it either. Dump, chase, retrieve, move it back to the point for a muffin shot. That's the game plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad