Pre-Game Talk: Oilers VS Jets -Oiler fly home for 48 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Personally I find it a little bit odd that the oilers flew home after the Rangers game and are flying to the Peg the morning of the game

while the win was good-there are a few things that are of concerns

--McDavid has been in on 100% of the oilers goals
--only 6 players have pts
--5 goals in 3 games

They looked a little better against the rangers--but against the jets you are playing a better team

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
RNH-McDavid-Rattie
Lucic-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Caggiula-Strome-Puljujarvi
Khaira-Brodziak-Rieder

ex Chiasson-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Garrison-Bouchard
ex Benning

These are lines at practice today.

Hopefully we can pull out a win vs Winnipeg.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The guys had been on the road for 14 days, and I'm guessing yesterday was one of those mandated days off. So I think it makes sense to give them that day off at home instead of hanging out in New York or Winnipeg.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I like how the big road trip that was supposed to be a really good positive bonding experience (stated by the players) is now the worst idea ever and some devestating start to the season. Well guess what Oilers, now it gets HARDER. Jets are tough, the schedule continues against good teams, and the home fans will be out for blood on Thursday against the B's.

Reactions: snipes

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I like how the big road trip that was supposed to be a really good positive bonding experience (stated by the players) is now the worst idea ever and some devestating start to the season. Well guess what Oilers, now it gets HARDER. Jets are tough, the schedule continues against good teams, and the home fans will be out for blood on Thursday against the B's.
To be honest a win tomorrow salvages the road trip pretty well.
Going 2-2 wouldn’t be too bad at all for a 4 game road trip to start the year.

Anyone know if koskinen might get the start? Getting close to that time if we’re going to want him to play ~20-25 games this year. And we probably want talbot starting the home opener.

Reactions: shoop and PulYou

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Anyone know if koskinen might get the start? Getting close to that time if we’re going to want him to play ~20-25 games this year. And we probably want talbot starting the home opener.

Talbot has only played 3 games in 2 weeks and hasn’t played in 3 days. No point in throwing Koskinen to the wolves in Winnipeg. Would rather have Talbot sharp as he looked like he was starting to find his game against the Rags in a strong performance. I’d play him in the home opener as well.

Maybe start Koskinen against the Preds on Saturday, but even then if Talbot plays really well in the next two I’d ride the hot goalie.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Even a loss in WPG tomorrow doesn't mean that it was the worse thing. The bonding was something that hopefully yielded long-term benefits.

I.E. Guys getting to know each other more and if at some point someone is off personality wise maybe someone steps up and helps the other through it.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The second line is an issue.

Does inserting Kassian or Chia's son into it improve it? The other three lines had a decent showing, so it's up to themselves to get it going.

I also didn't mind Todd's double shifting Leon into Rattie's spot or double shifting McDavid into Yamamoto's spot a couple times per period to throw the opposite off a bit for line matching. I don't want McDavid and Leon to be permanent partners on a line, but I like giving them that little push from time to time.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Hopefully Todd keeps tossing Drai some extra minutes with McDavod in an attempt to get him going a bit like he did last game.

And I know it’s a crazy thought but maybe try switching up Yamamoto and Puljujarvi if the 2/3 lines struggle in the first. Probably silly of me to think our coach would try doing coach things like that.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
According to who?

A lot of hfers going on about it but players, despite obviously being disappointed over the games played, were still saying it was a good experience after the NJD game. They are professionals and know they'll win and lose games. Of course no likes to lose but it happens. Fans freak out, players focus on the positive and get ready for the next game.

Last edited:
Reactions: RegDunlop

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Does inserting Kassian or Chia's son into it improve it? The other three lines had a decent showing, so it's up to themselves to get it going.

I also didn't mind Todd's double shifting Leon into Rattie's spot or double shifting McDavid into Yamamoto's spot a couple times per period to throw the opposite off a bit for line matching. I don't want McDavid and Leon to be permanent partners on a line, but I like giving them that little push from time to time.
At this point putting Reider on the 2nd line is probably our best/most likely bet to fix line two. I'd like to see RNH with LD, but I don't know that they'll break up line 1, just more have LD play at times there.

Not sure if that means KY completely out or demoted.

Mclellan hates one timers.
Does he have a shot to put him there? Never really noticed him shoot from that far. I know Strome last year looked to have a shot from there, and I didn't realize it until we tried it.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

It worries me going with Koskinen, but still at some point they have to. He's faced them before in the pre-season and wasn't horrible, and that was against their big guns (rusty but still).

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It worries me going with Koskinen, but still at some point they have to. He's faced them before in the pre-season and wasn't horrible, and that was against their big guns (rusty but still).
I wonder if they also just end up sending Koskinen on a conditioning stint to get in some AHL games.

While he has the NMC, his agent did say he'd be open to the AHL if need be.

Reactions: nabob

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I wonder if they also just end up sending Koskinen on a conditioning stint to get in some AHL games.

While he has the NMC, his agent did say he'd be open to the AHL if need be.
That is not a bad idea. He hasn't played for a while now so it could be good for him. If he doesn't play this one of course.

AHL is probably more competative than pre-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->