Dreger: Oilers trade ask on Puljujarvi too high

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Apparently he wants no part of the ahl. Him busting is his own fault.
When I hear stuff like that, I put a lot of it in the team brass.

As an example, Zadorov did not want to AHL when he was in BUF. It took a coach (Roy) that knows how to talk to his players to convince Zadorov he would get better faster in the AHL. It worked.

If Puljujarvi doesn’t want to go in the AHL right now, maybe it is because no one has correctly explained WHY it is good for him and his career. In any event, he is not sold on it... and that is totally on the team.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I wonder if the smarter move would be to make him a part of a bigger deal.

Not suggesting this would happen in a million years but something like:

Puljujarvi
Larsson

//

Nylander
Liljegren

Or something where you are swapping something with another team where they fill a position of need, and return the favour.

Pulj/Lilj both had the initial expectancy of being lights out, but haven't made that initial step. Yet both can still be very effective NHL'ers if nutured right.

Mr Papagoergyo

Feb 17, 2019
What was the point in drafting player(s) , if you hate them by the end of their entry level contract.
NHL Players in general avoid edmonton as in signing there, edmonton better hope a drafted player doesn't decide not to report to the team.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
JP is only 20.

:/

Arizona gave up on Dylan Strome at 21 years old. They gave up on Maximum Domi at 22.
Two Trades that will haunt them for the next decade.

Edmonton has a pretty long history of giving up on overly young players for utter garbage. I don't see why we wouldn't just keep him and hope he figures it out down the line.

On paper he's everything we need. Huge fast skilled winger with a heavy shot, and severely lacking any semblance of confidence.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
JP is only 20.

:/

Arizona gave up on Dylan Strome at 21 years old. They gave up on Maximum Domi at 22.
Two Trades that will haunt them for the next decade.

Edmonton has a pretty long history of giving up on overly young players for utter garbage. I don't see why we wouldn't just keep him and hope he figures it out down the line.

On paper he's everything we need. Huge fast skilled winger with a heavy shot, and severely lacking any semblance of confidence.
Precisely, I believe if the Oilers trade Puljujarvi, it may come back to haunt them. The kid is 20 and he really hasn't had much chance to show what he can be. He just needs to get playing regularly, whether this is in the AHL or NHL. He's got too much skill to not be a NHL player.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto

Puljujarvi
Larsson

//

Nylander
Liljegren

Or something where you are swapping something with another team where they fill a position of need, and return the favour.

Pulj/Lilj both had the initial expectancy of being lights out, but haven't made that initial step. Yet both can still be very effective NHL'ers if nutured right.

Absolutely zero chance.

Maybe Kapanen and Zaitsev and 2nd/3rd for Pul and Larsson

Nylander holds way more value than any of that assets.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016

Puljujarvi
Larsson

//

Nylander
Liljegren

Deal. No take backs.

Larsson <Nylander

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Cale Fleury + our earliest 2nd this year?

Yup. Those 2 assets are each worth more than a soon-to-bust Winger. Brook looks like he's gonna be awesome and 2nds are worth it with a good scouting team. We got Romanov this year with a 2nd. Who'd you rather have?

mark my words 70 to 80 point winger in 2 to 3 years time.

So from zero to an elite Winger. You know when they say never say never? Never.

hey this time they can get a good d-man for poolparty; unlike hall for larson

Larsson's a good Dman. Just not worth Hall. And FYI you won't get a Larsson for Puljujarvi.

Puljujarvi
Larsson

//

Nylander
Liljegren

Money won't work.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Because giving him away is exactly what it's going to take. No team in the league is going to give them what they want. He's a former 4th OA selection whose looking more and more like another bust destined for the Euro leagues. They'll be lucky to get a 2nd for him. More likely it'll be a struggling prospect swap or a 3rd/4th.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Because giving him away is exactly what it's going to take. No team in the league is going to give them what they want. He's a former 4th OA selection whose looking more and more like another bust destined for the Euro leagues. They'll be lucky to get a 2nd for him. More likely it'll be a struggling prospect swap or a 3rd/4th.

Nah, if Lazar can get a 2nd Puljujarvi can get one. That has to be the base level of what to expect.

Reactions: Bruhin and ivanlwan

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
I wonder if Arizona and Edmonton make side bets on who can squander young talent the fastest

Reactions: Estlin

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
20-year-old busts are not a thing, but given everything we have seen from Pulju, there is nothing desireable in that body of work. Can't imagine the offers being anything more than 'wanna free up a roster spot' or along those lines.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
That’s too bad.

He was the victim of idiotic coaching and personnel decisions... but that being said, if he wants out, he needs to play better and up his trade value. Giving him away for scrap is of no benefit.

Here's more context:

Apathetic

Oct 29, 2010
Downtown

Strome, a struggling 4th overall pick was just the base for Schmaltz (a guy who put up 50 points the year prior). Chicago looks like they may have gotten an absolute steal.

Puljijarvi is a struggling 4th overall pick, who is a year younger than Strome and its likely the Oilers will get a third or fourth round pick?

How do you reconcile those two things?

Reactions: ivanlwan

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
That’s too bad.

He was the victim of idiotic coaching and personnel decisions... but that being said, if he wants out, he needs to play better and up his trade value. Giving him away for scrap is of no benefit.

...to the Oilers. Other than that, I agree.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Here's more context:

I saw that earlier... it strikes me as odd. Puljujarvi was a good soldier when he was sent down earlier this year, has been putting in extra work before and after practice, and was Bakersfield’s best player in 3 of the 4 games he was down for.

I’m wondering how much of this is Puljujarvi and how much is his agent.

Mar 26, 2010
This. He is a bust.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
not sure why this player is being shopped at the tdl. he is no help to a typical tdl buyer and oilers should not be looking for help themselves. it is the wrong market.

i would be trying to move him in the summer when everyone is focused on the future.

Reactions: RodTheBawd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad