Dreger: Oilers trade ask on Puljujarvi too high

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
They are just destroying value with Pulju, they aren't developing him at all. Why would he improve? Skate around on a depth line on a worthless team. Worthless atmosphere.

What are the brass in EDM smoking? Seriously. They could easily get a 2nd for him, now they will destroy him and end up getting like a 4th round pick.

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
Pulju just might not be a bust. But you will have to get him out of Edmonton to find out. As long as he stays there.....his bust size will simply enlarge

Reactions: Ippenator

nzoilerfan

May 18, 2011
EDM Just need to bite the bullet and send him down to the AHL for the rest of the year and next season too. Even if it means we have to keep Rattie in a middle six role - it's worth it in the long run. Never going to get good value on him in a trade now.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
EDM Just need to bite the bullet and send him down to the AHL for the rest of the year and next season too. Even if it means we have to keep Rattie in a middle six role - it's worth it in the long run. Never going to get good value on him in a trade now.

He and his agent have said he belongs in the NHL and that they don't want him in the AHL.

He's also not waivers exempt next season.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Can Puljujarvi play center?

I think he could have been re-schooled at least after he was drafted, has that size and skill, vision. As I understand it he is a natural center but he has been used as a winger for many years now, on the big ice in Europe the center can get a bit defensive, caught deep on the ice.

puterwiz53

Nov 17, 2010
Saint John, New Brunswick
I doubt the Oilers get much for Pul. They rushed him too quickly and no idea how he would workout on any team. Pul wants out of Edmonton and they only way to move him is take whatever little bit another team is willing to offer.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
He and his agent have said he belongs in the NHL and that they don't want him in the AHL.

He's also not waivers exempt next season.
F them. Go back to Europe then. If the Oil think that's the best way to improve him then he goes to the AHL thats the way it goes. Right now his value is not much. If he goes to the AHL and he improves then even if he flips them the bird at UFA time at least he will have value in a trade.

If his agents have this much influence then the Oilers are in more trouble than I thought.

HC7

May 2, 2018
The longer the Oilers hold him, the further his value drops.

Typical Oilers.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It sounds like the Oilers are basically just completely lacking self-awareness of their situation in this. They're shopping Puljujarvi because they no longer think he's any good...but it sounds like they expect other teams to make offers based on the idea that he is still going to be extremely good. So no kidding they aren't finding a taker at a value they think is fair. :laugh:

Like...a team that is about as desperate for good young contributing scoring wingers as anyone, has recognized that Puljujarvi isn't working out for them and started shopping him. But they expect other teams to look at him like he's untarnished, and just ignore all the evidence the Oilers themselves have used to conclude he's trade fodder? :huh:

Reactions: Sureves

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
It sounds like the Oilers are basically just completely lacking self-awareness of their situation in this. They're shopping Puljujarvi because they no longer think he's any good...but it sounds like they expect other teams to make offers based on the idea that he is still going to be extremely good. So no kidding they aren't finding a taker at a value they think is fair. :laugh:

Like...a team that is about as desperate for good young contributing scoring wingers as anyone, has recognized that Puljujarvi isn't working out for them and started shopping him. But they expect other teams to look at him like he's untarnished, and just ignore all the evidence the Oilers themselves have used to conclude he's trade fodder? :huh:

Do you want to be the team though that dumps a former high first rounder for 2nd and a marginal prospect only to have him take off elsewhere. I think it's fair for the Oilers to at least expect a middle first round pick(15-20 range) in 2019

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Do you want to be the team though that dumps a former high first rounder for 2nd and a marginal prospect only to have him take off elsewhere. I think it's fair for the Oilers to at least expect a middle first round pick(15-20 range) in 2019

Sure, you don't want to be the team to do that. Nobody wants that egg on their face.

On the other hand, do you want to be the guy who gives up a quality 1st round pick for a guy who is trending alarmingly toward being a bust, and then potentially having him completely bust out on your watch? Everyone pointing at you saying, "What were you thinking? Are you some kind of an idiot? All the warning signs were there! What a stupid waste of a pick!" Nobody wants that egg on their face either.

I can understand why Edmonton would want more for him. But that's where, if you're really that seriously worried about Puljujarvi still becoming a really good player who takes off...why are you even shopping him in the first place? If you're seriously worried that he might become exactly the sort of player you desperately need...just keep him and find out.

If you've completely lost confidence in his ability to become a good NHL scoring winger and start shopping him though...you move him for what you can get, and don't be surprised other teams don't have any more faith in him than you do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad