Dreger: Oilers trade ask on Puljujarvi too high

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
2 options. Play him in the top 6 with McDavid/Drai and develop him in the NHL or send him down and give him all the opportunity he wants.

If he doesn't like going to the AHL then I guess he doesn't want to take his development seriously.

Every other team is going to put him in 1 of those 2 scenarios, the very small minority will play him in the top 6.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Between this and McKenzie speculating on Insider Trading that the relationship might be "fractured" it sure feels like the Oilers are desperately trying to drive up the market before they try to send him down and the poo hits the propeller.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
This. He is a bust.
Were you calling Kapanen a bust this past summer or the one before? Because he's 22 years old and just finally putting it together. Puljujarvi is 20 years old. Let that sink in.

I could see moving on if he was like a 23 year old Freddie Gauthier

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
A trade seems doubtful to me.

He and his agent have made it pretty clear they don't want him in the AHL and he isn't waiver exempt next season, so anyone trading for him basically has to keep him on their NHL roster.

I just don't believe there's pro scouts out there that are incompetent enough to watch Pulju play and then want him on their team's NHL roster.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
not sure why this player is being shopped at the tdl. he is no help to a typical tdl buyer and oilers should not be looking for help themselves. it is the wrong market.

i would be trying to move him in the summer when everyone is focused on the future.

Because by summer Puljujarvi might have a bigger case against of him being a bust. That's 3 more months of hockey.

If you trade him now then he may have more value as someone that needs a change of scenery.

And also there's no mention that only playoff teams want Puljujarvi. Teams looking at the future can trade for him now too

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
So instead of trading a bust, like they did with Yak, they want to keep yet another bust in an Oilers uniform?

I like it. Owning up like that and saying proudly "this is who we are"!!

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
A team like the Islanders might be interested considering a package of MDC and Ho Sang should get it done. Oilers need depth bad and Islanders give up on a depth forward in MDC and a boom or bust Ho Sang

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I wonder with how strome has turned out in Chicago has played a part In the oilers not giving him up for hardly anything.
I wonder how many top 5 picks have been given up for sweet f*** all within 3 years? The answer is zero because it's stupid

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Not an NHL player getting to play in the NHL and gets to collect a near 7 figure salary.
Sounds horrible

Yes because, as we all know, making large sums of money means you are eligible to be treated like trash due to incompetent managers.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
He’s done in Edmonton. Too much smoke. That being said, they should be able to pull a 2nd AT LEAST. Someone will buy into potential, I think the 1st ship has sailed, especially now that teams know he wants out.

Mr Tadakichi

Nov 23, 2014
"Treated like trash" how, exactly?

Treated like trash is too strong. More like his development has stunted at some point due to incompetence.

Didn't mean he was being downcast as a human being, should have clarified.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Yes because, as we all know, making large sums of money means you are eligible to be treated like trash due to incompetent managers.
How is he being treated like trash? He’s being asked to play in the Ahl like players that aren’t good enough or ready enough for the NHL do. It’s not like they are sending him down to save a contract year.
He’s not good enough for the NHL. Needs to work on his game and get some confidence against easier competition

Mr Tadakichi

Nov 23, 2014
How is he being treated like trash? He’s being asked to play in the Ahl like players that aren’t good enough or ready enough for the NHL do. It’s not like they are sending him down to save a contract year.
He’s not good enough for the NHL. Needs to work on his game and get some confidence against easier competition

Yeah, I misworded it. Meant to clarify in terms of his development. He's been mismanaged a lot in that area.

Sorry about that.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Treated like trash is too strong. More like his development has stunted at some point due to incompetence.

Didn't mean he was being downcast as a human being, should have clarified.

I just don't understand why they didn't send him to the AHL until he'd proven to be too good for that league, after he proved he wasn't ready for the NHL 20 games into last season. Seems like the pretty obvious decision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->