Dreger: Oilers trade ask on Puljujarvi too high

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Some players can see the game unfold before things happen and it seems like the puck follows them around the ice because they can anticipate where the puck or other players will be
JP is the exact opposite and it appears to be a fatal flaw.
Oilers management is most incompetent
But JP is a dog chasing a car

Reactions: Dark Ambient

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Puljujarvi is a kid who will play in the NHL even if he's not a big scorer. He's got all the tools and can play a responsible enough game. No way I'm trading him for scraps because the potential is still there, and if not he can still be a useful depth player. The kid is 20 years old for gods sake and been treated to a double standard by his coaches so far. Everyone else gets to make mistakes and still get time in the top 6 or on the PP, but not this kid, he's benched or demoted when a mistake happens. They hire someone capable next time around he'll turn out just fine.

Reactions: nturn06

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
I just don't understand why they didn't send him to the AHL until he'd proven to be too good for that league, after he proved he wasn't ready for the NHL 20 games into last season. Seems like the pretty obvious decision.

Yes, he was actually doing pretty well down there. I guess Hitchcock may have had a hand in it. He did claim he could develop him, from what I can gather.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Precisely, I believe if the Oilers trade Puljujarvi, it may come back to haunt them. The kid is 20 and he really hasn't had much chance to show what he can be. He just needs to get playing regularly, whether this is in the AHL or NHL. He's got too much skill to not be a NHL player.
I don't usually agree with you about anything, but I agree with you on this. Puljujarvi has a lot more to give, and moving him would come back to bite the Oilers. He has great raw tools, and is still very young. He just needs proper development. I would be all over trying to steal him away from the Oilers, while his value is at a low.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Because by summer Puljujarvi might have a bigger case against of him being a bust. That's 3 more months of hockey.

If you trade him now then he may have more value as someone that needs a change of scenery.

And also there's no mention that only playoff teams want Puljujarvi. Teams looking at the future can trade for him now too

tdl is not the time to get the best offers for a prospect from every team in the league. a bunch of teams that may be interested in the summer are presently too busy trying to get help now. your prospect is also going to be in a competitive market with so many contender teams willing to part with their prospects right now.

there is no harm in testing the market, but i do not think going hard to move him is a good idea. the rest of this season is not going to do much to affect puljujarvi's value. every team looking at him right now is evaluating whether a change of scenery will do the trick. nobody is going to put too much weight on the rest of this trainwreck of an oiler year.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Guys I have an idea -- if Nylander was good then sat out half a season in Europe and is terrible now, then maybe if terrible poop-in-a-jar were to spend half of next season in the FEL he can come back and be a 40 goal scorer.

Oilers should definitely stand pat.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Puljujärvi does have potential with proper development. But the thing is, Edmonton cannot provide that. Their development system is non-existent. They are only capable of destroying concensus Top 5 picks year after year.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Rangers are probably in on it, they have some quantity they might want to trade away to get some better quality. Maybe package of Lias Andersson, Hajek and Vesey.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
And also there's no mention that only playoff teams want Puljujarvi. Teams looking at the future can trade for him now too
Probably even the opposite. I doubt any playoff team is interested in him, whereas rebuild teams would probably be as he's cheap and has promise. Rangers? Kings? But I think the best teams for Puljujärvi would be Carolina or Montreal, in terms of development. Maybe Nashville, but they probably aren't interested.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
I still have faith in Pulju becoming an NHL player who averages 0.5PPG playing middle six minutes. But that's not going to happen in Oilers. He needs a fresh start.

It's hard for the Oilers, I get it, because his trade value is not much at the moment. (And his agent is doing him no favors.)

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
The problem is not Puljujarvi, the problem is the Oilers need to player develop better.
Agreed. The problem is in my opinion that management/wingers think that McDavid will make them better without proper development/hard work.
Thats why guys like Chiasson/Maroon worked out because they were fighting just to stay in the NHL when they were acquired.

Hopefully, Puljujarvi is sent down for the rest of the season and given no promises next training camp

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->