Dreger: Oilers trade ask on Puljujarvi too high

BlackBusa24

Dec 13, 2018
How many of them had their agent going public and saying it might be good for both parties to go different path??

Most of the player you just mentioned we’re actually producing or they had a specific role!

And almost the rest of them didn’t get rushed wich let them to be waivers eligible by 21 year old wich is a pretty big factor in my opinion

As a mn fan it's a salty subject but it kind of reminds me of nino in nyi.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Dylan Strome?

I donno how I missed that, but there, you've got 1 in a single decade and Strome wasn't sold for garbage like the vast vast majority of all top 10 picks that didn't turn out on that list and he . Strome is still young and his team was stupid enough to trade him and now he's lighting things up in Chicago.

1 = How many of them had their agent going public and saying it might be good for both parties to go different path??

2 - Most of the player you just mentioned we’re actually producing or they had a specific role!

What are you talking about? Are you just responding for the sake of trying to be right about something?

1 - So what's your point? His agent is hampering his development? That we should trade him for nothing just because he isn't improving quickly despite the fact that he's a 4th overall pick and only 20 years old? Is Edmonton going to get 15th overall for Puljujarvi at this point? No? How about 20th? No? Why on earth should you trade a 20 year old 4TH overall pick for something with much less perceived potential.

Like what happened with Yakupov and MPS in Edmonton (2 of them like Puljujarvi are totally lacking in hockey sense. You can also credit Eakins for taking all of the fun out of hockey for Yakupov while putting him out on the ice to be a defense first forward; something he'd never been before coming to the NHL.) Puljujarvi will be given several more years to sink or swim and the only GM's that are going to give in to what you're talking about are famous failures like Mike Milbury, whom was infamous for giving up early on bluechip prospects. The dude essentially traded away several Stanley cups in case you're too young to remember the 90's.

2 - Have a specific role. Oh, OK. So if Matt Benning was drafted 10th overall it wouldn't be so bad compared to Puljujarvi because on some nights he actually looks like a #6 d-man? Give me a break. All of those guys I listed were big disappointments. Go back to the pre-draft scouting reports and look at what they were projected into becoming and you compare that to what ALL of these guys are now and they're Joe Blow.

You generally don't trade bluechip prospects away at the age of 20 because you risk them actually turning into something much better than what you're getting for them. Most hockey organizations whose front office members are stuffed up their arses don't plan on getting top 10 picks very often because it's their intention on winning. Clearly Edmonton's owner has a different plan, but that's besides the point. You don't trade away a 4th overall pick at the age of 20.

Someone earlier pointed out that Dylan Strome was traded away at 21 and that's incredibly unusual and at the same time Arizona got 3 times the value what what people on HFboards suggest that Puljujarvi would get in return. (And no, I don't disagree with HFboards' majority assessment of Puljujavi's trade value.)

Give your head a shake.

He asked when was the last time someone around Pulju's age and draft pedigree was traded for scraps.

But Dylan Strome wasn't given away for scraps. He was traded away for a 22 year old former 1st rounder who looked great in his 2nd season and has looked very good offensively in Arizona in his 3rd.

Nobody on HFboards is suggesting anyone cough up any assets worth anything near what Nick Schmaltz is worth. (and rightfully so)

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Come on let's be fair here Nino is 26 years old.
6 years older than Puljujarvi.
Totally different conversation.
What you're talking about happens a few times a year.
What? Niederreiter was 20 years old when he was traded.

WeRa

Nov 2, 2017
Puljujarvi has a huge potential so why not? He made 17 points in 7 games U20. Who else has done that? And he is still 20yo. He is getting there Im very sure. He is kinda person that needs his time to settle. Didn't know english, no self confidence etc. When he feels good and safe and mature he will be a great hockey player. In different organization I hope so.
Exactly.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
I can't see him having much value at all. Someone is gonna want to take a flyer on him, but at their cost, not the Oilers. Although I don't blame the Oilers for asking for a lot. You gotta try. And if the price is low, you just keep him, and hope he finds himself.

The Oilers don't develop prospects, and they don't get anything to show for their 2nd round and later picks, so unless they trade him for a high first rounder or proven NHL player(both unlikely), they'd be trading him for literally nothing. So no point.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
With the exception of Bear they are a dime a dozen depth players that every organization has. Thinking this is good prospect depth is a great reflection of the Oilers organization. It stinks.

Bear is the 3rd most valuable player on that list.
We dont have the best prospect depth but we also dont "stink" I would say we are comfortably in the 15-20 range maybe higher.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
He asked when was the last time someone around Pulju's age and draft pedigree was traded for scraps.

And your post shows how bad of idea is to do that...

So why should the Oilers trade him for scraps? If we don't trade him, worst case scenario we lose the junk we would get for him...

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I know the new Oilers GM doesn't want to make the same mistakes as Chiarelli, but they can't expect to get anything of value for an average at best player that hasn't proven himself at all at the NHL level.

Kardi

Jul 28, 2004
Interwebs
They'll wait til hes worth a 7th rounder like they did with Yakopoo.. The Oilers are the worst run team in the NHL and should never be called the city of champions.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
My prediction is he gets traded in the Summer for an equally disappointing prospect. Probably not by the trade deadline since so many picks and assets will be allocated to the rental market.

He’ll be eligible for waivers next season and that pressure alone probably means he’s gone. The oilers probably should’ve sent him back before the 9 game mark in 2016. Now they’re stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
They'll wait til hes worth a 7th rounder like they did with Yakopoo.. The Oilers are the worst run team in the NHL and should never be called the city of champions.
Lots of teams have draft misses, go look at the islanders in the last 10years. Things have gotten better under Gretzky in our drafting, so we will take a wait and see for now.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Gagner was placed on waivers and cleared at the beginning of the year.
When did I EVER state that teams should trade for/claim Sam Gagner?

The only thing that I have stated in this thread is that Sam Gagner is a better player than Spooner, which is a true statement.

Gagner is a decent bottom six player but is overpaid by 1 M

Reactions: A91

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Why didn't any of the other 30 teams grab Gagner for free when they could've?
Waivers aren't an indication of value. I wouldn't exactly rush out to acquire Gagner but we often see players that have passed through waivers excel on new teams. We also see them dealt for other low value assets. Sometimes the opportunity or necessity to get rid of another asset for a player is a huge deal in this era of salary caps and contract limits.
That being said, I don't think he or Spooner are definite upgrades over one another at this point.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Gagner was placed on waivers and cleared at the beginning of the year.

You’re aware that players go unclaimed all the time right? It’s not necessarily about lack of skill either.

I’d say in Gagners case, it’s more so about the contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad