Dreger: Oilers trade ask on Puljujarvi too high

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
I think with a change of scenery it could light the fire that's needed for him to put it all together, I still think he's got the potential for top 6 in the league, just needs to put it together, new organization could be the key.

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
Puljujarvi has a huge potential so why not? He made 17 points in 7 games U20. Who else has done that? And he is still 20yo. He is getting there Im very sure. He is kinda person that needs his time to settle. Didn't know english, no self confidence etc. When he feels good and safe and mature he will be a great hockey player. In different organization I hope so.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Give the Oilers Trent Frederic (same draft year and 1st Round) but he is a fast, huge physical 3rd line centre who can flat out fight:

His NHL debut. Great hit, pass, drive to the net then fight.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Puljujarvi has a huge potential so why not? He made 17 points in 7 games U20. Who else has done that? And he is still 20yo. He is getting there Im very sure. He is kinda person that needs his time to settle. Didn't know english, no self confidence etc. When he feels good and safe and mature he will be a great hockey player. In different organization I hope so.

The 17 points in 7 games of U20 is prettty irrelevant, its three years later, and the U20 is nowhere near close to the level of hockey that's demanded in the NHL. He's had 3 years to so called get comfortable and learn english, and he's done neither. He's shown no growth in his game since arriving to the pro level in either the NHL or AHL. The problem isn't confidence, the problem is that he just doesn't think the game well enough of fast enough.

At this point, his value can't be based on pedigree, or draft level, its based on his resume of three years of pro hockey. He's a project and its questionable that he'll even break out with another organization. If he had this mythical value he would have been moved by now. At this point there's enough film on him to make GM's leery that he's ever going to arrive.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
This is one of the trolliest threads I've seen in quite a while.
The title itself suggests that either Dregger wants to be punched in the face or he knows nothing about running a hockey team.

Does Puljujarvi look like a bust?
Yup.

Can anyone tell me when was the last time a team traded a potential bust of a 20-year old 4th overall pick for table scraps? How about a top 10 pick?

• Alexander Nylander was picked 4 spots after Puljujarvi and has not looked good an he hasn't been traded.
  • In 2014 Michael Dal Colle and Jake Virtannen were drafted 5th and 6th and had incredibly slow development curves. Did they get traded away?
  • Galchenyuk was drafted 3rd overall in 2012 and Montreal waited until he was 23 to trade him away.
  • Ryan Strome was drafted 5th overall in 2011 and the Islanders waited until he was 24 to trade him away.
  • In 2010 Gunbrandson was drafted 3rd and wasn't traded until he was 23. Connolly was drafted 6th and he wasn't traded until he was 22. Burmistrov was drafted 8th overall and he was traded until he was 24.
  • In 2009 Glenie was drafted 8th overall and his ELC expired when he was 23 and his contract wasn't renewed. MPS was drafted 10th overall and Edmonton didn't trade him until he was 23.
That's 10 years of trading top 10 picks that were stinking the place up. Do you see any GMs trading away 20 year old top 10 picks that have haven't lived up to expectations? No. You don't. Get a life and stop trolling.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
The 17 points in 7 games of U20 is prettty irrelevant, its three years later, and the U20 is nowhere near close to the level of hockey that's demanded in the NHL. He's had 3 years to so called get comfortable and learn english, and he's done neither. He's shown no growth in his game since arriving to the pro level in either the NHL or AHL. The problem isn't confidence, the problem is that he just doesn't think the game well enough of fast enough.

At this point, his value can't be based on pedigree, or draft level, its based on his resume of three years of pro hockey. He's a project and its questionable that he'll even break out with another organization. If he had this mythical value he would have been moved by now. At this point there's enough film on him to make GM's leery that he's ever going to arrive.

Yup, that happens with some players.
Not everyone can just pick up a second language.
I've been living in China for about 16 years and at least 90% of the foreigners living here hate it because they either can't learn to speak Mandarin or they're too lazy to try.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
The title itself suggests that either Dregger wants to be punched in the face or he knows nothing about running a hockey team.

Yup.

Can anyone tell me when was the last time a team traded a potential bust of a 20-year old 4th overall pick for table scraps? How about a top 10 pick?

• Alexander Nylander was picked 4 spots after Puljujarvi and has not looked good an he hasn't been traded.
  • In 2014 Michael Dal Colle and Jake Virtannen were drafted 5th and 6th and had incredibly slow development curves. Did they get traded away?
  • Galchenyuk was drafted 3rd overall in 2012 and Montreal waited until he was 23 to trade him away.
  • Ryan Strome was drafted 5th overall in 2011 and the Islanders waited until he was 24 to trade him away.
  • In 2010 Gunbrandson was drafted 3rd and wasn't traded until he was 23. Connolly was drafted 6th and he wasn't traded until he was 22. Burmistrov was drafted 8th overall and he was traded until he was 24.
  • In 2009 Glenie was drafted 8th overall and his ELC expired when he was 23 and his contract wasn't renewed. MPS was drafted 10th overall and Edmonton didn't trade him until he was 23.
That's 10 years of trading top 10 picks that were stinking the place up. Do you see any GMs trading away 20 year old top 10 picks that have haven't lived up to expectations? No. You don't. Get a life and stop trolling.
How many of them had their agent going public and saying it might be good for both parties to go different path??

Most of the player you just mentioned we’re actually producing or they had a specific role!

And almost the rest of them didn’t get rushed wich let them to be waivers eligible by 21 year old wich is a pretty big factor in my opinion

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018

Yup.

Dylan Strome?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Does he need his blanket too? Teddy bear?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad