Dreger: Oilers trade ask on Puljujarvi too high

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
All the scouting info had him pretty much 3rd best prospect. CBJ's decision notwithstanding, what the hell did all these scouts see in this kid?

Just size and speed? I guess all the physical attributes were there.

But his on ice decision making seems out of touch with the speed of the NHL and that is something that is hard to teach and therefore extremely difficult to turn around.

The kid is too young to call a bust yet, but the lights are turning red.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Dube and mangiapane have been great down there, same with kylington and valimaki. Even then, dube shouldn't be near the roster this year, and mangiapane is borderline useless. Really wish kylington had a better camp, because he's clearly ready at this point, and we burned a year valimaki's elc for nothing. Good for you guys guy having some good prospects, but don't bank on all your guys panning out.

The only guys in Bako I’m expecting NHLers out of are Jones (already shown he can hang at this level) and Benson (just too smart to not carve out a career somewhere in the top 9, he’s the anti Puljujarvi - no elite skills that really jump out at you but always positioned well, always finding open ice, knows where everyone on the ice is at all times. Reminds me of Paul Stastny)

Anyone else would be a bonus. Starrett will get a look at some point, Yamamoto is top 6 or bust, Bear is 60/40 to make it but he’s had some concussion problems this year, and we might get a useful bottom sixer out of Gambardella, Currie, or Patrick Russell.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
Sucks because Bakersfield wasn't all that bad 20 years ago. Then Southern California migrated and took over the city.

“Not All that bad” is the nicest thing I’ve ever heard about Bakersfield. A lot of people did move there though because it’s cheap and not too far from smell-A.

member 290103

Why is the ask high? Guy is a bust. Take a second or B roster player and run before midnight strikes and he turns into a Yakupov.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
Stockton’s top 5 scorers are all 25 years old or more. Tune him out, haha.
Thats nice but I was not the one yammering about how good our AHL prospects are when they clearly are nothing special. Keep overhyping your Oilers though Spector, nobody is buying what you are selling on here or SN.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
All the scouting info had him pretty much 3rd best prospect. CBJ's decision notwithstanding, what the hell did all these scouts see in this kid?

Just size and speed? I guess all the physical attributes were there.

But his on ice decision making seems out of touch with the speed of the NHL and that is something that is hard to teach and therefore extremely difficult to turn around.

The kid is too young to call a bust yet, but the lights are turning red.

2nd best WJC20 scorer at 17yo, behind Jagr and ties Lindros.

Also just because Oilers wasted 3 years of his career doesn't make the pick bad. Nobody comes out of EDM alive.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
With his play, the allusions of not accepting an AHL assignment this year and foreshadowing of a tough RFA negotiations this summer with a threat of returning to Europe hanging over it, the Oilers will be hard pressed to get a second rounder or prospect of similar value for him.

And it’s all their own stupid fault. Ownership has to dump the buddy hires in hockey ops who enabled this, for our fans and our players best interests.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
We better not trade this guy if everybody thinks he's worthless. I see a 20 year old top 5 pick and flashes of dominance with that size and skillset. He will be a player IF he is handled right.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
With the exception of Bear they are a dime a dozen depth players that every organization has. Thinking this is good prospect depth is a great reflection of the Oilers organization. It stinks.

are you sure you know the game of hockey? :huh: o_O

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Gotta love how Oilers brass buys into Central Scouting. Jesse probably falls into the late teens on draft day if Eddy doesn’t take him.

There’s so much wrong with this, from the Central Scouting nonsense to the extremely unfunny Wild fan “Eddy” trash. Do you follow the NHL?

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
I'm not suggesting the Oilers dump puljujarvi for scraps but I do think they are up against a wall with him.
I think they have to trade him before the start of next season. He will not sign a 2 way contract and he has flatlined with the Oilers at the nhl level.
I think they either trade him or he plays a year in Europe. There is just no way he or his agent would think it's a good idea to resign with Edmonton

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Alex Nylander + Brendan Guhle for Puljuljarvi + long shot d prospect?

that actually would be a fair deal. the #4 for the #8 pick straight up from the same draft. i don't believe with Jones and Bear coming that Guhle is needed though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad