Dreger: Oilers trade ask on Puljujarvi too high

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Uh yeah you are. If your scouting staff gets a player as good as Pastrnak at 25 ... you buy him a nice dinner at least. If it was easy to do that, everyone would do it. McAvoy is another massive win for the Bruins.
Not saying they aren't good players. I'm saying they went in the spot they we predicted. I would get your point if Keith reached to get them and the panned out. I think Bruin fans wish he would have taken Connor, Barzal, Chabot and Boesser where they were predicted. Imagine the Bruins now If he did!

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
Tyler Benson
Joe Gambardella
Cooper Marody
Logan Day
Cam Hebig
Ethan Bear
Caleb Jones
William Lagesson

edit: Shane Starett

what's wrong with these guys?

With the exception of Bear they are a dime a dozen depth players that every organization has. Thinking this is good prospect depth is a great reflection of the Oilers organization. It stinks.

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
Gotta love how Oilers brass buys into Central Scouting. Jesse probably falls into the late teens on draft day if Eddy doesn’t take him.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
With the exception of Bear they are a dime a dozen depth players that every organization has. Thinking this is good prospect depth is a great reflection of the Oilers organization. It stinks.

Benson leads the team in points and is 20
Marody is a PPG player at 22
Jones leads the defenseman in PPG and is 21
Starrett has one of the best save% in the league and is 2nd year as a pro

oh yeah, every one of the players I mentioned are leading Bakersfield to 13 straight wins

these are legit prospects and the development system is light-years better than it was even a year ago

you couldn't be more clueless if you tried

Reactions: Calypso

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Gotta love how Oilers brass buys into Central Scouting. Jesse probably falls into the late teens on draft day if Eddy doesn’t take him.

That is just flat wrong and revisionist history. He was widely considered the 3rd best prospect at the draft. In fact, the Jackets brass was torched by the media for passing on him.

20/20 vision, looking back it was the right call, but even if the oilers had passed on him, he would have been in the top 7 or so taken and the fan base that got him would have been talking about the steel of the draft.

I am not an Oilers fan in any way shape or form, but I don’t blame them for taking him at all. Now.... they completely busted up his development and that is fair to take them to task over.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
That's a trade both sides make a year from now when both players are no longer waive exempt and the returns for either are trending towards the territory of what the Oilers got for Yakupov because they waited way too long.

The Oilers are clearly trying to do what the Islanders did to them with Reinhart. Get someone to overpay based on a previous draft value that just isn't there anymore. A change of scenery deal doesn't accomplish that.
Not sure if anyone else brought this up (I haven’t read through the rest of this thread and apologize if this was already discussed) but i don’t think Nylander loses his waiver exemption net year, does he?

Nylander signed his ELC at 18 but it slid the last 2 season and only kicked in this year. He has either 5 years of waiver eligibility or 165 NHL games played. And he still has 2 years remaining on his ELC

Puljujarvi is in the last year of his ELC already and he’s apporoaching 165 NHL games played, where he will lose his waiver exempt status.

I’m actually not sure if buffalo makes this trade.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Benson leads the team in points and is 20
Marody is a PPG player at 22
Jones leads the defenseman in PPG and is 21
Starrett has one of the best save% in the league and is 2nd year as a pro

oh yeah, every one of the players I mentioned are leading Bakersfield to 13 straight wins

these are legit prospects and the development system is light-years better than it was even a year ago

you couldn't be more clueless if you tried

Stockton’s top 5 scorers are all 25 years old or more. Tune him out, haha.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018

The exception of Bear? Benson and Jones and Marody are all better prospects than him. He's just a bigger name. Try to do your research before posting nonsense like that.

I also don't think every team has a rookie in the AHL who is leading the league in assists.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I want the Jets to give him a chance because I think there's potential they turn his game right around and save his career. Tampa Bay too maybe, but I think the Jets might be the best fit out there for him. The best the Jets could offer is a conditional 2nd and either Petan or Comrie.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Much like Strome, Jesse will go elsewhere and thrive, with a bit of confidence he’s a heck of a player. If the oilers weren’t clueless and left him in the A when he was sent down earlier this year, I’d bet he’d be dominating with a solid squad down there. And we wouldn’t be speculating on this.

I hope he ends up elsewhere and the oilers don’t wait another 2 years till they’ve completely wrecked him, he’s 20, not every player is a stud at 18, I’d bet 3 years for now we’re talking about him as a top 6 forward

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
You don't think Arizona is regretting that trade now?

Sure. But Strome at that time was producing around the same as Puljujarvi no? Im just trying to get a comparable sense in trade value given age and where both were drafted.

Reactions: nally

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
The guy has 37 points in 139 games. I don't know what the Oilers expect to get in return.

Reactions: Jtown

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
1 for 1 trade.

Drafted in the same year, only a few picks apart. Jost has the better NHL career, from Alberta, higher IQ, good defensively and plays Centre. Doesn’t have specific elite skills for the fast pace AVs, but hard working and good work ethics. Poolparty with size, elite skills and plays RW which the AVs are weak. Former international teammate of Rants including the Gold Mdeal WJC. Reuniting the players is appealing. Low IQ is the main problem.

Jost

For

Poolparty

Reactions: Dr Awesome

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
1 for 1 trade.

Drafted in the same year, only a few picks apart. Jost has the better NHL career, from Alberta, higher IQ, good defensively and plays Centre. Doesn’t have specific elite skills for the fast pace AVs, but hard working and good work ethics. Poolparty with size, elite skills and plays RW which the AVs are weak. Former international teammate of Rants including the Gold Mdeal WJC. Reuniting the players is appealing. Low IQ is the main problem.

Jost

For

Poolparty

I was thinking the same thing. Especially if the Avs end up with another Finn in Kakko this summer.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Stockton’s top 5 scorers are all 25 years old or more. Tune him out, haha.

Dube and mangiapane have been great down there, same with kylington and valimaki. Even then, dube shouldn't be near the roster this year, and mangiapane is borderline useless. Really wish kylington had a better camp, because he's clearly ready at this point, and we burned a year valimaki's elc for nothing. Good for you guys guy having some good prospects, but don't bank on all your guys panning out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad