Dreger: Oilers trade ask on Puljujarvi too high

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
To me the biggest issue isn't that Puljujarvi has struggled, but if this report from the OP is correct, and he doesn't want to report to Bakersfield, that is problematic. He hasn't played well, and needs to work on his game quite a bit. That he thinks he's above playing in the AHL, suggests a bigger issue of his.

Which is why more is being made of this than needs to - it’s Dreger saying he “thinks” Puljujarvi wouldn’t want to be sent down. Pulju has been sent down once already this year, and in previous seasons. Played well, didn’t sulk, and when he got called back up, put in extra work.

Who is his source? His agent? I’m sure his agent doesn’t like the idea of him going down to Bako when his ELC expires this year and he has to negotiate a 2nd contract where the player/agent has zero leverage.

Pulju is a good kid. This is Dreger creating something out of nothing. Does it say anywhere that the Oil are actively shopping him? No, it says the ask is too high, which suggests it’s other teams making the call and the Oil setting a price based on seeing Pulju as a long term piece.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Actually, idiot trades for lower upside players in positions we don’t need that don’t have an offensive bone in their bodies is a BIG reason we are in the position we are.
So it has nothing to do with the woeful organization? Their embarrassing draft history? Their inability to develop their players?
Whoudathunk?

Reactions: gunnergunther

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Poolparty hasn't shown any reason why he would be worth more than Jost.

Their career has basically been mirrored. Good D+1 season, hopeful D+2 season, stagnant D+3 season.

I'd consider the trade simply because we have Rants to help his transition and this team needs a shake-up, but I wouldn't give any sort of + to make it happen.
I was thinking something like a third

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Offer sheet him, 4m per, two years. You get a kid with elite (?) upside for the cost of a 2nd and 4m per for 2 years.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Offer sheet him, 4m per, two years. You get a kid with elite (?) upside for the cost of a 2nd and 4m per for 2 years.
Any GM in a cap league, that gives Pool Party $4m per,deserves to be in.caphell.
What do you pay young talent, that is producing well at the nhl level?

VeeMerk

Jan 16, 2018
Why would we move him for trash?

Honestly, this is a tough situation for the team, player and fans. The best solution is for him to be sent down to play for the rest of the season, regain his confidence (cause the skill and talent is obviously there) and then he rejoins the team next season. BUT if he doesn't want to go down, now that's where the trade solution comes in. What else can you really do other than force his hand and ruin the relationship? The thing is that Oilers won't get a 1st round pick for him.. which is what I would want. They could get a prospect and a 2nd but that's about it in terms of futures that's it. Alternatively, you can look for a young player that is also struggling that needs a change of scenery. I hope this is a happy solution in the end

Reactions: BudBundy and 780il

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So you give him the benefit of the doubt when it works out but when it didn't you believe people who say it wasn't his fault when everyone at the time said he was a moron for taking a couple 2nd rounders and a late first instead of the good players he ignored. Who said he didn't choose those picks? Maybe you change my opinion.

Am I supposed to congratulate him for picking players in the area they were predicted to be picked (McAvoy and Pasta)? Well la Dee daa. And DeBrusk is a fine player but not in line with what he missed out on.

Uh yeah you are. If your scouting staff gets a player as good as Pastrnak at 25 ... you buy him a nice dinner at least. If it was easy to do that, everyone would do it. McAvoy is another massive win for the Bruins.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
doomed if you do do, doomed if you dont. keep him and watch another high draft pick become a bust, or trade him while he at his lowest value while he does have value

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
We've just suffered through nearly four years of having a GM who doesn't ask nearly enough for his assets, I'll gladly settle for asking too much.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
The problem with JP is perception and there are two extremes. Some have the opinion he is well down the path to bustville (me included) while others feel there is still a good chance with time he will become a serious player. If you believe the former you are not going to offer anything of value because you don't see much upside in JP. If you in the latter camp you expect a heck of a lot more. I really don't see a middle ground in the situation.

This is well put. Also I agree. I wouldn't trade more than like a 4th rounder for him because I think he is so flawed player that he will not amount to much of anything. I've always been very skeptical about him but up until this season I thought he could improve on things and get better. But from watching him this season, it seems like the fundamental issues he has are just too big to overcome.

Oilers will never make that kind of trade, so it's up to them finding a team that still thinks somewhat highly of him. Could be a difficult task. On the other hand, Lazar returned a 2nd rounder. There are idiots out there.

Reactions: MinJaBen

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Larry Brooks just wrote a column speculating that the NYR could buy out Strome this summer....

Brooks speculates lots of things. Few of them happen. The Rangers have no need to buyout Strome. They don't need the cap space and with the expected trades, they are going to need guys like Strome who can play in the top 6 (even if they don't produce to that level).

The only reason to buy out Strome is because he's 25 and it would only be 1/3rd instead of 2/3rds, which makes the buyout minimal.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'm wondering, if the Oilers can clear space by moving out bottom feeders so they can add some salary, if Hoffman for a package that includes Pulujarvi and other futures might be a possibility, given that they apparently want space to go after Panarin and Bobrovsky. Something like Pulujarvi and a couple of 2nd round picks. Florida gets their cap space and a high potential young player to go with some futures, and Edmonton gets a scoring winger for the 2nd line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->