Dreger: Oilers trade ask on Puljujarvi too high

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
It would look quite bad for the Oilers if he left and became great. Just another knock on their development program. Might be part of the reason the ask is high and I bet he goes to the east if he is moved.

Reactions: byrath

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah, I wouldn't want to be sent to Bakersfield either...

How the heck does an Alberta based NHL team have a California based AHL team? Seems funny to think the minor league team may have the better lifestyle...

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Wonder what his relationship is like with Laine and Barkov current day. I remember people three years ago said he’d be best of the three as overall player. Oh, boy.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Asking for a first rd pick and a roster player is way too much. Why didn't Edmonton think this way before they traded Hall?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Picked DeBrusk, Zorbil and Synchawhaterver over connor, Chabot, Barzal, and Boeser. That is all you need to know about Keith "just another nepotism hire in Edmonton" Gretzky.

Apparently he only had one of those picks (the other two were given to others in the Bruins staff). He chose DeBrusk, which was an OK pick. Not the slam dunk it could've been, but the Bruins also have David Pastrnak in the 20s and Charlie McAvoy ... I'd say the Bruins should be licking Keith Gretzky's boots.

If you give a guy three 1st round picks none of them in the top 10 and he nets you Pastrnak (25th overall), McAvoy (14th overall), and DeBrusk (14th overall) ... I'll take that any day of the week.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
I mean yeah, they should start off by asking for the moon and see if anyone bites. Obviously the player isn't showing that he's very good and worthy of a big return, and for that reason if or when he's traded, it won't be for as much as Edmonton probably wants. Tough bounce.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I could see teams trading some value for him. After seeing how Strome is putting it together after being traded, I could see teams being interested.

Reactions: Dr Awesome

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Oh man...is Edmonton really face-planting on another top-5 pick?

Why would Edmonton sell Pulju now that his value is at a low ebb? Also, why not wait til the new GM is named to best handle Pulju and let interim GM Bloodline Gretzky stick to simple housecleaning moves? I don't get how EDM is run, it's always the cart before the horse.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Apparently he only had one of those picks (the other two were given to others in the Bruins staff). He chose DeBrusk, which was an OK pick. Not the slam dunk it could've been, but the Bruins also have David Pastrnak in the 20s and Charlie McAvoy ... I'd say the Bruins should be licking Keith Gretzky's boots.

If you give a guy three 1st round picks none of them in the top 10 and he nets you Pastrnak (25th overall), McAvoy (14th overall), and DeBrusk (14th overall) ... I'll take that any day of the week.
So you give him the benefit of the doubt when it works out but when it didn't you believe people who say it wasn't his fault when everyone at the time said he was a moron for taking a couple 2nd rounders and a late first instead of the good players he ignored. Who said he didn't choose those picks? Maybe you change my opinion.

Am I supposed to congratulate him for picking players in the area they were predicted to be picked (McAvoy and Pasta)? Well la Dee daa. And DeBrusk is a fine player but not in line with what he missed out on.

Last edited:

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
How the heck does an Alberta based NHL team have a California based AHL team? Seems funny to think the minor league team may have the better lifestyle...

Bakersfield is a dump :facepalm:

Reactions: mattihp

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I guess that’s the reason why the Oilers haven’t played Pulju in the AHL enough, he doesn’t like it there. But at some point you got to take the silk gloves off and tell him to suck it up. Fact is he’s shown nothing to keep himself in the NHL and that should be that. Or then trade him.

But i wouldn’t trade for him tbh. If you can’t get it going on a team with good centers and trash wingers, as a winger, there’s really no better opportunity. Why would he succeed somewhere else? Other than just change of scenery which is always a gamble.

If you got a good AHL team in a location that is more fun than Bakersfield then i could see the opportunity to develop Pulju properly, but it’s still a project and not worth a 1st.

I look at him as someone who might be no-risk high reward somewhere down the line if he falls on your lap for free or cheap, but to spend good assets? No thanks.

Should the Oilers just consider sending him to the KHL? There’s this Finnish team called Jokerit who might be interested..

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Poolparty hasn't shown any reason why he would be worth more than Jost.

Their career has basically been mirrored. Good D+1 season, hopeful D+2 season, stagnant D+3 season.

I'd consider the trade simply because we have Rants to help his transition and this team needs a shake-up, but I wouldn't give any sort of + to make it happen.

Reactions: Dr Awesome

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017

the team is winning for sure and that is good, and no offense to Bakersfield, and i have been there before but there's really nothing at all that's remarkable about it and California or not it's still a demotion ! o_O

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Why would Edmonton sell Pulju now that his value is at a low ebb? Also, why not wait til the new GM is named to best handle Pulju and let interim GM Bloodline Gretzky stick to simple housecleaning moves? I don't get how EDM is run, it's always the cart before the horse.
I agree 100%.
But he's only worth a mid - late 1st at this point so if they trade him, that's the face plant

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
So was every high pick they took but not a single one ended up being right outside of McDavid

Their scouts did the same job any of us could have done and I would have fired myself after these results

The point your missing is that its not the scouts job to develop the player. The draft is so heavily covered now that the first round, the top ten at the very least, is pretty well decided before it even starts. Sure, you are going to have teams drafting off the board occasionally or drafting for a teams individual needs.

Pool Party was the third of the big three of that draft. Columbus passed on him (which raised my eyebrow as their GM was a fellow Fin)

So its either sheer coincidence that the Oilers keep getting duds, or there is something rotten with the development of prospects.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
No one is giving up a first round pick for a guy with nine points. Edmonton ought to just lump it and hope this guy turns it around.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
I guess that’s the reason why the Oilers haven’t played Pulju in the AHL enough, he doesn’t like it there. But at some point you got to take the silk gloves off and tell him to suck it up. Fact is he’s shown nothing to keep himself in the NHL and that should be that. Or then trade him.

But i wouldn’t trade for him tbh. If you can’t get it going on a team with good centers and trash wingers, as a winger, there’s really no better opportunity. Why would he succeed somewhere else? Other than just change of scenery which is always a gamble.

If you got a good AHL team in a location that is more fun than Bakersfield then i could see the opportunity to develop Pulju properly, but it’s still a project and not worth a 1st.

I look at him as someone who might be no-risk high reward somewhere down the line if he falls on your lap for free or cheap, but to spend good assets? No thanks.

Should the Oilers just consider sending him to the KHL? There’s this Finnish team called Jokerit who might be interested..
Jokerit need players who actually can play.
Only Kärpät might want to fix Pulju‘s problems.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
Maybe because the prospects haven't been rushed the way we used too, outside Pool Party who should be in the AHL. Bakersfeild is currently filled with a lot of young promising talent, not my fault if you don't care to pay attention to it but don't bash the scouts if you have no clue.

This is blatantly false.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad