Dreger: Oilers trade ask on Puljujarvi too high

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I am not sure why the Oilers cant just leave this guy for a full season in the minors and let him play. He has not played well in the NHL, let him get big minutes and scoring confidence for a season in the AHL. He would probably come to his next NHL training camp fully ready to go. He is probably the one guy out of the other players the Oilers drafted high, that would gain the most from playing in the minors because he does have tools, but he needs to learn how to use them at the pro level, and learn how he needs to play to be successful. Since when do the Oilers ever do anything that makes sense though.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Normally I'd say they should just keep him since he's likely not worth more than a 2nd. If it's true though, that he's hardly learned any english, I'd dump him for whatever I can get. It's been almost three years, not learning how to communicate with your teammates and coaches shows a serious lack of dedication or a serious lack of smarts.

Reactions: Tripod

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Is "guy lacks confidence" the new euphemism for "he's a low hockey IQ dummy"?

It means he doesn't have confidence to take the puck to the slot area himself.
Skates hard, shoots immediately at the goalie with no support, often
That's either a lack of confidence or lack of vision imo.

Yakapov was a player who couldn't think the game at a high level.
Had all the tools, but had no idea of what to do.

Last edited:

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
To me the biggest issue isn't that Puljujarvi has struggled, but if this report from the OP is correct, and he doesn't want to report to Bakersfield, that is problematic. He hasn't played well, and needs to work on his game quite a bit. That he thinks he's above playing in the AHL, suggests a bigger issue of his.
Well if he wont report to the minors, that is pretty disappointing. Certainly not smart on his part.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I won't say the kids a bust but they threw him right into the deep end of the pool and it may be a while until he regains his confidence. Theres many a prospect from that year whove yet to play an nhl game who im more confident about thier development. I think a change of scenery would definitely do him some good

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Yakupov 2.0.

From the outside looking in, I feel both suffered from being thrown to the wolves from an organization that expected them both to be impact players right away.

That being said, I'd take Yak on my team presently, and if he came cheap Puljujarvi would be fine too. Too much turmoil and too much damage for the organization to fix I think, I hope someone picks him and can show patience, because I don't want any more high picks getting trashed because of management.

***Not just the Oilers for that last statement, just bad management in general***

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Man I remember the smug posts and mockery oiler fans were sending the cbj fans for taking PLD over pool party because "how can you screw up the 3rd pick in a draft with a consensus top 3?!?!?!?!" And now look at how it has played out. PL"WillNeverBeA'C'"D is a stud breaking Jacket records and pool party still cant speak english.

Side note it used to be a joke on the jacket boards that it was a big deal pool party didnt learn english like Laine and the guy who always mentioned it said it shows his IQ and we all laughed but it seems like he was right... the bastard was also right for the most part about Nutivaara was going to be a name to look out for and then boom. I miss you Tulip!!!

Reactions: Pi

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
How high can the price really be at this point? He is busting worse than Yakupov at the moment!

Yak first 3 seasons:

Pts
1) 31 in 48 GP
2) 24 in 63 GP
3) 33 in 81 GP

Pulju first 3 seasons:

Pts
1) 8 in 28 GP
2) 20 in 65 GP
3) 9 in 45 GP

Not trying to run down the Oilers when they are already down, but right now Puljujarvi is not looking like he is going to become anything near what he was expected to.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think he has the size and skating to become a strong defensive player and that can be taught. I don't see a high enough skill level currently to have a significant impact offensively. Now if his offensive ability did develop while playing a strong defensive game he would become a very valuable contributor.

He could well become just like another high Edmonton draft pick that starts with P and has too many vowels.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Puljujarvi won’t return much at all. Might get a second or third round pick and a B or C prospect similar to Filatov IIRC.

Edmonton should just keep him and see what he can do. If he turns it around great, if not, you weren’t going to get much in a trade anyways.

Reactions: TheBasementDweller

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I don't want to bag on the Oilers, but what the hell are you guys doing to these prospects? It's like a meth outbreak occured.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Man I remember the smug posts and mockery oiler fans were sending the cbj fans for taking PLD over pool party because "how can you screw up the 3rd pick in a draft with a consensus top 3?!?!?!?!" And now look at how it has played out. PL"WillNeverBeA'C'"D is a stud breaking Jacket records and pool party still cant speak english.

Side note it used to be a joke on the jacket boards that it was a big deal pool party didnt learn english like Laine and the guy who always mentioned it said it shows his IQ and we all laughed but it seems like he was right... the bastard was also right for the most part about Nutivaara was going to be a name to look out for and then boom. I miss you Tulip!!!

Yeah I remember people ripping on Jarmo but Bob McKenzie was wise. He said that if Jarmo is passing on Pulju, there must be a good reason. He didn’t state that PLD was better than Pulju but definitely mentioned that the hate and ridicule the Jackets were getting was unwarranted.

Reactions: mikeyp24

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Yeah I remember people ripping on Jarmo but Bob McKenzie was wise. He said that if Jarmo is passing on Pulju, there must be a good reason. He didn’t state that PLD was better than Pulju but definitely mentioned that the hate and ridicule the Jackets were getting was unwarranted.

Dubois is a beast though. That kid is as solid as they come.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
People throwing out 2nd and 3rd pick offers are overhyping the mystery box again. Puljujarvi may not be looking like much of a NHL player but you don't trade a twenty year old with his potential for essentially nothing picks. Will he ever live up to said potential? Probably not barring a significant turnaround, but he's a far better gamble than getting a mid ranged 2nd rounder and hoping you then draft someone better.

That said, if the Oilers are demanding a 1st+good prospect. Well, they aren't getting that.

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
Looking like the next Filatov/G. Reinhart/Yakupov high draft pick that's shown little in the way of NHL ability, steadily losing value where if they wait a bit longer he'll be worth a 2nd and if they wait much longer he'll be worth next to nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad