Dreger: Oilers trade ask on Puljujarvi too high

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Because they could actually get something of decent value for him right now. A 2nd rounder + doesn't seem like a lot for a guy that had as much promise as Pulj did, but on the other hand a 2nd round pick is a lot more than absolutely nothing which is what they may very well get if you hang on to him for another year and he continues to spin his wheels. It's all about risk/reward. Personally, I'd hang on to him if I were Edmonton.
A 2nd rounder is nothing if you are the Oilers. It is 4 yrs+ of wait that would amount to nothing. See history.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Even if you’re an Oilers fan, I’m not sure how you can be surprised at the offers for Puljujarvi. He’s struggling to put it all together while being part of an organization that has a poor record of developing talent.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
The only reason Edmonton should be trading Puljujarvi is if they are getting a SIGNIFICANTLY more productive player today. Not a 25 year old bust, not a LHD with no offense, not a guy spitting distance from the waiver wire, not a similarly aged prospect even further behind developmentally. Maybe Jost would make sense. Maybe Thompson would make sense. Other than that...
Who the hell would offer a more productive player for a bust.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Drafted high 3 years ago but has done **** all in the NHL and is soon to be waiver eligible.

I think the best Edmonton could hope for is a player of similar age and upside that is also struggling. Not sure who that'd be though.
That could have been Dylan Strome but that ship has sailed.

Reactions: phillipmatchett

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I'm not even sure why Hudon is even being considered by some here. He was a 5th rd pick. Montreal did the right thing and didn't rush him and he performed well last season. But this year has been a big set back and to "me", his value has plummeted. Oilers don't even consider trading for him.

Idk if Puljujarvi wants out or not, but if he does, it has to be a positive return for the team. No projects! Why move one project out for another? If no deal can be done, so be it. Oilers have to offer him a contract if he declines he can go to Finland or the KHL and work on his game. He does well over there then he can return to the Oilers or they can trade him for something of more value right now. I think his heart is in the NHL and I'd love to keep him. I can accept it's taking longer than expected for him to reach his potential.

The situation in Edmonton right now is compounding everything and anything that is happening. Making desperate moves won't fix it.

:]

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I wonder how much Stromes success in Chicago will be impacting Puljujarvi trade talks.

Personally I think its completely different. Strome is a very smart and skilled player who needed the game to slow down a bit. JP just seems to lack hands and IQ. Can't teach those things.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I wonder how much Stromes success in Chicago will be impacting Puljujarvi trade talks.

Personally I think its completely different. Strome is a very smart and skilled player who needed the game to slow down a bit. JP just seems to lack hands and IQ. Can't teach those things.
I think he has the size and skating to become a strong defensive player and that can be taught. I don't see a high enough skill level currently to have a significant impact offensively. Now if his offensive ability did develop while playing a strong defensive game he would become a very valuable contributor.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
They will just do what they did with Yukopov, hold him till he literally has no value. Bad management once again.
But isn’t that what most are saying right now anyways?

I would say based on his failure in the NHL you will not get another GM to offer anything of significant value... which is exactly why the Oilers should hang in to him.

I think he should be playing in Finland. I am not sure why the Oilers wouldn’t at least bring over a Finnish coach to help him.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Im Not an Oiler fan but it's so frustrating watching them ruin players to try and inch into the playoffs. Keep these poor kids away from this dumpster fire in the NHL. I know they are desperate to give poor McDavid something to work with but in the long run forcing this kid (or any other) to the NHL clearly isn't helping anyone. Keep them away from this tire fire. McDavid will thank you for it in a couple of years.

Do what good teams do like the Caps, Lightning, Jets etc have done create a winning culture in the AHL and bring in the future when they are more than ready.

Everyone is pissed with Pete C. I get it, he wasn't great with trading or contracts etc but goddamn if you think he was getting advice from people he picked you have to be out of your mind. He clearly didn't pick that sack of DEAL Gretzky who screwed the Bruins in the 2015 draft. He sure as he'll didn't pick Howsen to develop his players. He didn't pick Sutter as his VP of player personnel. Didn't get to pick the VP of player personnel. Etc etc so he's getting all of his advice from the old guard what the hell do you expect.

Oiler fans have been screwed from the top of the organization and have accepted the scape goats those same people have provided. I'm more frustrated by the fans than anything.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
The problem with JP is perception and there are two extremes. Some have the opinion he is well down the path to bustville (me included) while others feel there is still a good chance with time he will become a serious player. If you believe the former you are not going to offer anything of value because you don't see much upside in JP. If you in the latter camp you expect a heck of a lot more. I really don't see a middle ground in the situation.

IMO, the oilers should be open to moving anyone but McD. If they get an offer for JP that they deem fair value than it would be wise to move him. Maybe a new environment gets the kid going and it rids them of the what to do with JP. If not, don't give up and keep working with him with the thought he becomes the player you projected.

Its hard with high draft picks because the impact can seriously handcuff an organization for a long period of time. I understand why its difficult for an org to let a guy go who was a high (1st round) pick and admit it did not work out. Thus, get what you think is fair value or keeping working with the player until it becomes obvious.

I am not comparing Sherbak to JP - so no one jump down my throat. When MTL put Sherbak on waivers the MTL boards lost thier mind because everyone thought MB should have got something for him. In reality, he did try to move him but no gm was willing to give as much as a dirty boot and an expired case of milk for him. His real value was 0, actually less. The org had to admit a 1st round pick busted. It sucked but was a clear example of perception and reality. It also failed to help the org move forward. This situation is different because I think many GM's still would place considerable value on JP. More time is needed to really understand his potential.

Hopefully, for the oil JP works out and becomes the player predicted. The fans deserve better. For thier sake I am glad they got rid of Chia.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
You expect many players drafted outside the first round in 2016 or later to have 100-point careers so far?
The oilers don’t have one since with career points over 100 since 2007. That is the problem.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
To me the biggest issue isn't that Puljujarvi has struggled, but if this report from the OP is correct, and he doesn't want to report to Bakersfield, that is problematic. He hasn't played well, and needs to work on his game quite a bit. That he thinks he's above playing in the AHL, suggests a bigger issue of his.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
He's not trash, but he hasn't put it together either.
He's big guy, has a decent shot, and skates well, but really he lacks a lot confidence to bring the puck into the scoring area's. Often shoots it early with nobody around.

He's a project, but should be back in the AHL to grow his game/confidence imo.

Is "guy lacks confidence" the new euphemism for "he's a low hockey IQ dummy"?

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I'm not even sure why Hudon is even being considered by some here. He was a 5th rd pick. Montreal did the right thing and didn't rush him and he performed well last season. But this year has been a big set back and to "me", his value has plummeted. Oilers don't even consider trading for him.

Idk if Puljujarvi wants out or not, but if he does, it has to be a positive return for the team. No projects! Why move one project out for another? If no deal can be done, so be it. Oilers have to offer him a contract if he declines he can go to Finland or the KHL and work on his game. He does well over there then he can return to the Oilers or they can trade him for something of more value right now. I think his heart is in the NHL and I'd love to keep him. I can accept it's taking longer than expected for him to reach his potential.

The situation in Edmonton right now is compounding everything and anything that is happening. Making desperate moves won't fix it.

:]

Montreal has nice depth on wing, so much that Shaw, Armia or Byron would be on 4th line if everyone was healthy. Hard for Hudon to get a top 9 spot.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
The oilers don’t have one since with career points over 100 since 2007. That is the problem.

The current scouts have only been responsible for like 3 or 4 drafts, which was the original point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad