Dreger: Oilers trade ask on Puljujarvi too high

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
The only reason Edmonton should be trading Puljujarvi is if they are getting a SIGNIFICANTLY more productive player today. Not a 25 year old bust, not a LHD with no offense, not a guy spitting distance from the waiver wire, not a similarly aged prospect even further behind developmentally. Maybe Jost would make sense. Maybe Thompson would make sense. Other than that...

Yep, and i agree. Which is why no gm would trade for JP.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
The only reason Edmonton should be trading Puljujarvi is if they are getting a SIGNIFICANTLY more productive player today. Not a 25 year old bust, not a LHD with no offense, not a guy spitting distance from the waiver wire, not a similarly aged prospect even further behind developmentally. Maybe Jost would make sense. Maybe Thompson would make sense. Other than that...
No one is going to trade a SIGNIFICANTLY more productive player today for a consistently struggling JP. Edmonton would have to add quite a bit to even get a proven second liner at this point.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
I agree. They should hold onto him. His value is too low right now. If he finds his game great, if not it will be a yak situation. As it stands now, it will be low offers because his value is seen to be quite low. Fair or not. Many teams have 1st rounders that have them scratching their heads and are not going to receive “fair market” value. As a MTL fan we are experts at busts

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Good they can't afford to lose another trade.

Pulju never played so well in the American League that he forced management to call him up. Should've been left there until he did.

Reactions: NORiculous

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That seems like the right thing to do. Develop him properly and give him a chance to actually succeed. If you looked at JP more objectively you would see he isn’t worth close to somebody who’s a better player than him right now, regardless of his age.

You’re not getting offered Hudon and a 6th for Jost who’s also been very disappointing.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
well i don't really pay attention to offers that don't involve my team but i recall they wanted Dumba and a pick for RNH so asking too much doesn't really seem out of character. Can't blame them for trying.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Nobody is going to gamble on him right now i.e give up significant assets. Edmonton is a lot better off holding onto him for a few years and hope he can figure it out.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Just like Puljujarvi, the Capitals have Burakovsky. Both pending RFA's, both not performing up to their draft status. Both won't return anything, so both fan bases pretty much just figure might as well just keep them. :dunno:

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Granted hes older, Pionk has doubled Puljus production from the blue line tbis year. Really not too far off value wise.

....Hes miserable defensively though

Every Ranger fan complains about Pionk and his defense. I watched him live and see a guy who can move the puck efficiently.
Just don't see how his style of play improves Edmonton.

Reactions: bigdog16

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
What would the oilers want from Pittsburgh? Seems like the kind of player we could turn into gold.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
See everything I’ve said about Hudon, apply it to Gaunce, and then understand that Gaunce has six goddamn goals in 116 games and turns 25 in a month. He’d clear waivers.
Hes a dynamo defensively, would be a HUGE upgrade on Pullji

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Oil fans, would you trade Bouchard for JP??
f*** no

And we're not asking for a top 10 pick or a blue chip prospect lol.

If we move him, we want one of 3 things:

1. To move out Lucic
2. A 1st (20-25)
3. A player in a similar position (Jost, Strome before he was traded)

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
**** no

And we're not asking for a top 10 pick or a blue chip prospect lol.

If we move him, we want one of 3 things:

1. To move out Lucic
2. A 1st (20-25)
3. A player in a similar position (Jost, Strome before he was traded)

Yep and that’s why he won’t be traded. Oilywill rude him out.

flyers4life88

Feb 6, 2019
Windsor Ontario
I’d offer a 2nd or 3rd and if they don’t take it I’ll give him a offer sheet the oilers can’t or won’t match and if we don’t get him that’s fine love to have him but don’t need him

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The oilers dreaming they can pull off the reverse Griffin Reinhart here.
Draft + 3 season Griffin had played 8 NHL games.. Pulju has played over 130 already.
Oilers Fan wish Chia had pulled a Griffin for Pulju instead of throwing him to the wolves

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Just like Puljujarvi, the Capitals have Burakovsky. Both pending RFA's, both not performing up to their draft status. Both won't return anything, so both fan bases pretty much just figure might as well just keep them. :dunno:
The significant difference is that the Oilers will retain Puljujarvi. Washington will walk away from Burakovsky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad