Salary Cap: Oilers line combos for the 18/19 season your predictions

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I think you’re correct. Unfortunately Todd likes to go back to things that don’t work.

5 games of struggling and he will put Drai at 1RW, Nuge back to 2C (even though he and McDavid are producing) and he’ll promote Cags and move JP to 4LW.

The lineup during our first losing streak will look like this.

RNH-Mcdavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-Strome-Aberg
Caggiula-Brodziak-Reider
Khaira-Letestu-Kassian

Yes, TM will convince PC to bring Letestu back when things start to look bad...

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Hopefully we can move Russell to make room for Bear or Bouchard

Don't know how fans think this way . Our young defence men need to be develop in the AHL not rushed . Russell isn't great but but if keeping him keeps the young guys in the AHL we need to keep him until one of the young guys not only proves they are ready but they kick the door down .

Reactions: Dempsey

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Count me in on hoping Lucic starts away from Draisaitl. Unless he can figure out how to handle pucks better he kills far too much of the puck control possession game that Draisaitl creates. Tired of Drai working his ass off to protect pucks and open space for his line mates only to watch Lucic have it bounce off his stick or throw an errant pass to no one. He needs to prove he can do better in those areas before he should get time with either of our star centres.

Lucic needs to be on the 3rd line then given pp time where he can park his big ass in front of the net and score garbage goals . If Lucic can score 20 to 30 points on the 3rd line and add another 20 pp points we can all be happy . Oh he might have to bust a few guys heads as well .

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
The lineup during our first losing streak will look like this.

RNH-Mcdavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-Strome-Aberg
Caggiula-Brodziak-Reider
Khaira-Letestu-Kassian

Yes, TM will convince PC to bring Letestu back when things start to look bad...

Haha was going to say the exact same thing about Letestu. He’ll be our 4C playing 20 minutes a night.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Nuge-McDavid-Rattie (eventually Pulju)
Reider-Drai-Pulju
Lucic-Strome-Cagguila
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian
Aberg

Nurse-Sekera (if he's back to form)
Klefbom-Larsson
Russell-Benning
Gravel

Let Bouchard spend another year in the OHL. Bear in the AHL as well.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
RNH McDavid Rattie
Khaira Draisaitl Reider
Lucic Strome Puljujarvi
Caggiula Brodziak Kassian
Aberg

But it's so in flux. For instance, who knows if that top line stays hot? I like Khaira with Draisaitl because they played together a lot and I liked them together (with Khaira being an alternate center with Drai of all things), but Khaira seems like a 3rd liner. But, Caggiula also seems like a third liner stuck on the 4th line, and Aberg will be better there. But, Aberg had good flashes too, and could potentially even be on the 2nd line. Also, Lucic and Puljujarvi are more talented than 3rd liners.

So.... here's what I think an "ideal" lineup could be, if players reach their potential or break slumps.

RNH McDavid Puljujarvi
Lucic Draisaitl Reider
Caggiula Strome Rattie
Khaira Brodziak Kassian
Aberg

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I have one problem with the rnh.mcdavid.rattie line

Zero toughness

So? How many top lines have a tough guy on them? My problem with that line isn't lack of toughness, it's if Rattie belongs in the NHL at all, not to mention a top line.

I think we see to start the season....

RNH-McDavid-Rattie
Lucic-Draisaitl-Reider
Khaira-Strome-Puljujarvi
Caggiula-Brodziak-Kassian

Looking at that lineup, if Lucic doesn't bounce back and Pulju doesn't take a step forward, all I have to say is... Yikes.
We all know that winger depth was a weakness but looking at the lineup typed out, they are going to need a lot of players to be better than they have been. Rattie and Reider really stick out to me as out of place in that lineup. Hopefully Yamamoto is ready this year because, poor Leon otherwise.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Opening night in Sweden (if no one is injured or traded)...

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Rieder-Draisaitl-Aberg
Lucic-Strome-Caggiula
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian

Rattie

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Sekera-Benning

Gravel-Bouchard

Talbot
Koskinen

I think they'll start JP on a line with RNH and McDavid in Europe as he'll have a a solid camp and they'll want to see just how much he's improved this summer and if he can mesh well on that line.

I also think they'll have Aberg in the lineup for that opening game in Sweden because well he's from Sweden so it would be mean not to have him in there. :) Plus he adds speed to the lineup and that's the theme this season for the Oilers... more speed and skill going forward.

I think Yamamoto will look very good in training camp and will certainly look like one of the better options on the wing in the top 9 but they'll still start him in Bakersfield because they'll want to see what they have in their other wingers who aren't waivers exempt.

I think they'll likely keep Bouchard up for his 9 game look... although they won't play him every game (and not likely for opening night)... but they'll work him into the lineup for a few games in October to get him a taste and then likely send him back to Junior (unless he meshes so well that they can't send him back... which is a possibility).

I have Nurse-Russell pencilled in as the 2nd pairing but that assumes that Nurse is signed by then which he should be.

I think they start Sekera out on the 3rd pairing until he's fully recovered from his surgery and back to 100% again.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoldNewLettuce

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Rieder-Draisaitl-Aberg
Lucic-Strome-Caggiula
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian

Rattie

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Sekera-Benning

Gravel-Bouchard

Talbot
Koskinen

I think they'll start JP on a line with RNH and McDavid in Europe as he'll have a a solid camp and they'll want to see just how much he's improved this summer and if he can mesh well on that line.

I also think they'll have Aberg in the lineup for that opening game in Sweden because well he's from Sweden so it would be mean not to have him in there. :) Plus he adds speed to the lineup and that's the theme this season for the Oilers... more speed and skill going forward.

I think Yamamoto will look very good in training camp and will certainly look like one of the better options on the wing in the top 9 but they'll still start him in Bakersfield because they'll want to see what they have in their other wingers who aren't waivers exempt.

I think they'll likely keep Bouchard up for his 9 game look... although they won't play him every game (and not likely for opening night)... but they'll work him into the lineup for a few games in October to get him a taste and then likely send him back to Junior (unless he meshes so well that they can't send him back... which is a possibility).

I have Nurse-Benning pencilled in as the 2nd pairing but that assumes that Nurse is signed by then which he should be.

I think they start Sekera out on the 3rd pairing until he's fully recovered from his surgery and back to 100% again.

I like it.

My concerns are klefbom, talbot, and russell.

Aberg....im rooting for but hes Rattie level depth. Unless he splodes out of the gate id guess yammmer or marody make the team.

PRuss might make the team if they pass on starting rattie.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Rieder-Draisaitl-Aberg
Lucic-Strome-Caggiula
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian

Rattie

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Sekera-Benning

Gravel-Bouchard

Talbot
Koskinen

I have Nurse-Russell pencilled in as the 2nd pairing but that assumes that Nurse is signed by then which he should be.

I think Pulju will do well but the right side is really weak.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I have one problem with the rnh.mcdavid.rattie line

Zero toughness

They should try Kassian on that line IMO. He can bring some sandpaper and size but still is quite fast himself.

RNH McDavid Kassian
Reider Draisaitl Puljujarvi

Is what I'd roll with in the top six. You don't need a superstar there, most guys' production is going to rise if you put them with RNH and McDavid.

Reactions: MisterD

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
They should try Kassian on that line IMO. He can bring some sandpaper and size but still is quite fast himself.

RNH McDavid Kassian
Reider Draisaitl Puljujarvi

Is what I'd roll with in the top six. You don't need a superstar there, most guys' production is going to rise if you put them with RNH and McDavid.

I mentioned this earlier as well, but I'd also like to try Kassian in that spot. Kassian has the wheels to keep up with McDavid, and can bring a physical/deterring factor to that line. I think he could effectively replace Maroon's presence.

Reactions: Aerchon

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
Some interisting stats to promote Pulju with Nuge and McDavid by writer calling himself "armchairgm" at Lowetide's blog:

"ARMCHAIRGM says:
  • Puljujarvi with Nugent-Hopkins:
  • TOI: 135:21
  • CF%: 54.51
  • FF%: 51.65
  • SF%: 50.00
  • GF%: 77.78
  • GF: 7
  • GA: 2
  • GF/60: 3.10
  • GA/60: 0.89
  • +/-/60: +2.21
  • OZ Start%: 52.94
  • Puljujarvi with McDavid:
  • TOI: 256:57
  • CF%: 54.61
  • FF%: 55.79
  • SF%: 53.35
  • GF%: 61.90
  • GF: 13
  • GA: 8
  • GF/60: 3.04
  • GA/60: 1.87
  • +/-/60: +1.17
  • OZ Start%: 54.91
  • Nugent-Hopkins with McDavid:
  • TOI: 300:31
  • CF%: 54.73
  • FF%: 55.03
  • SF%: 55.46
  • GF%: 62.22
  • GF: 28
  • GA: 17
  • GF/60: 5.59
  • GA/60: 3.39
  • +/-/60: +2.20
  • OZ Start%: 62.73
  • Rattie with McDavid:
  • TOI: 158:57
  • CF%: 46.84
  • FF%: 46.27
  • SF%: 43.50
  • GF%: 52.00
  • GF: 13
  • GA: 12
  • GF/60: 4.91
  • GA/60: 4.53
  • +/-/60: +0.38
  • OZ Start%: 56.84

• All numbers 5v5 for 2017-18 via naturalstattrick.com
  • So Nugent-Hopkins sets McDavid on fire offensively, that we already knew. Rattie with the pair sinks the line down to almost even – most of his “w/McDavid” numbers were with Nuge on the other wing.
    Puljujarvi with Nugent-Hopkins is dynamite, that I didn’t know. To put that +2.21/60 into perspective, the best line in the league last year put up +2.07/60. Bergeron was +1.12, Stamkos +1.22 and McDavid +0.90. Now, those guys are playing top competition more often, but these are steller results.
    The Puljujarvi with McDavid numbers are interesting – reasonable amount of track and Nuge wasn’t on the ice at the same time, the most common LW’s were Lucic and Slepyshev. 3.04-1.87 is nearly exactly what Marchand-Bergeron posted last year: 3.10-1.88 for +1.22. I’m willing to bet a lot of money that adding RNH to the left side improves the offensive production of this line without giving up much (if anything) on the defensive side of the puck.
    Nugent-Hopkins – McDavid – Puljujarvi
    This is the 1-line of the future. How soon can we get Jesse signed to a Jarnkrok-like contract?"

Reactions: ujju2

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I mentioned this earlier as well, but I'd also like to try Kassian in that spot. Kassian has the wheels to keep up with McDavid, and can bring a physical/deterring factor to that line. I think he could effectively replace Maroon's presence.
He might have the wheels to keep up with him, but what does he do? He doesn't have the offensive awareness or the elusiveness to really be a contributing factor there. Even Maroon had a better shot than the guy. Rattie is on that line because he can shoot the puck and he knows where he needs to be to be successful.

I have zero problem rewarding the guy with assignments there, but the Tom Wilson formula rarely works. I wouldn't be shocked to see it stop working there out of the gate next season.

Reactions: Aerrol

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
TM should have put JP in a consistent top 6/1st PP unit spot the second the season was done. It would have helped his development and let us know what we have for this season. Now we go into the season questioning if JP is a top 6 player and if we need a top 6 RW.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
RNH-McDavid-Rattie/Cags/Aberg
Rieder-Draisailt-Pulju
Lucic-Strome-Yamamoto
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Sekera-Benning/Bear/Bouchard

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
RNH-McDavid-Rattie/Cags/Aberg
Rieder-Draisailt-Pulju
Lucic-Strome-Yamamoto
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian

Rieder is much more comfortable on RW.

Nuge-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Draisaitl-Rieder
Caggiula-Strome-Yamamoto
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian

Rattie/Aberg

That would be an ideal forward group. Needs people to step up on each of the first three lines.

Will Puljujarvi's work this off-season allow him to make the jump to a first line role? Can Lucic return to top 6 form? Is Yamamoto ready to play in the league full time?

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Damn I want to see Bouchard getting the 9 games stint, I know about Oilers rushing kids history, but this guy looks like the real deal.

Things can be much better, I want to see Yamamoto with McDavid, knowing Lucic, he will definitely try to bounce back, maybe not as his best year, but I really hope he will. And lets hope Pulju will finally have his breakout year...

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
It’s weird that our RW depth is so bad but also so close to being a strength of ours if Pulju and Yamamoto take that next step. Basically need to pull off a Boston and have some young players come in and make an impact immediately.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Rieder is much more comfortable on RW.

Nuge-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Draisaitl-Rieder
Caggiula-Strome-Yamamoto
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian

Rattie/Aberg

That would be an ideal forward group. Needs people to step up on each of the first three lines.

Will Puljujarvi's work this off-season allow him to make the jump to a first line role? Can Lucic return to top 6 form? Is Yamamoto ready to play in the league full time?

I agree.

Rieder > Aberg
Rieder > Rattie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad