Salary Cap: Oilers line combos for the 18/19 season your predictions

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The results weren’t there last season, but I like what Strome and Pulju had going in the last quarter of the year. Keep them together to start the year. If the kid takes off, move him up by all means.

I was going to type out my line combos but then I realized I’m lazy. And no matter how you slice it our winger depth still relies on a lot of them improving.

I'm honestly trying to recollect what they had going. I don't recall too much positive play from Pulju in the last 45GP and its not noted in any production either. What indication is there that Strome was working well with Pulju?

I just checked back and Strome had 1G 2A in last 18gp. So barely a pulse. Those are the results in the time frame.

Pulju had 2G 1 assist in the same 18gp. Both players had big 2 pt games against a Carolina team with a backup goalie in a game the Canes essentially mailed in.

Other than that nothing.

I wonder how much through optimism we attempt to distort our recollections to avoid thinking about how bad this team was and how most of the lineup was producing nothing.

So again, what did Pulju and Strome have going. Sorry to single you out, I'm asking this throughout and nobody is answering. Mainly because nothing significant occurred.

Last edited:
Reactions: Homesick

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
2 lineups, one with Yamamoto/Bear making the team and one without

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi (gives McDavid the most raw talent to work with and helps JP development)
Rieder-Draisaitl-Yamamoto (gives Draisaitl very creative wingers and has the size to win battles for Yama)
Caggiula-Strome-Aberg (this line sucks, might as well keep all the suck together instead of letting them infect other lines)
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian (very physical high energy line)
Rattie (he's pretty meh without McDaddy) Marody (comes in when Caggiula/Aberg inevitably go on a cold streak)

RNH-McDavid-Rattie (don't fix what isn't broken)
Rieder-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi (just give Poolparty some talent on the wings already)
Khaira-Strome-Caggiula (hide the lazy bum center with 2 wingers that give oodles of effort)
Aberg-Brodziak-Kassian (get some speed going at least on the wings)
Marody Malone (better than rushing someone like Benson or Maksimov before they're ready)

Klefbom-Larsson (reunite the swedes to get Klefbom going again)
Nurse-Bear (give Bear a defensively responsible elite skating partner and give Nurse someone with good offensive instincts)
Sekera-Russell (throwaway pairing hoping Sekera isn't the next Wade Redden)
Benning (send him in when someone inevitably gets injured again)

Nurse-Larsson (our most stable pair)
Klefbom-Russell (at least it'll generate offense)
Sekera-Benning (throwaway pairing hoping Sekera learns how to skate again)
Lowe (he was actually better than I expected last year)

Milan Lucic gets shot into the sun. I'm very comfortable with this coke machine+wuss who makes Khaira do the fighting for him never playing another game in an Oilers uniform You can carry him as the 13th forward if Marody isn't ready.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Just keep Caggiula out of the line-up and it looks good.
You misspelled Lucic
At that cap hit? Good lord.
We have a player who might as well be a 4th liner for 60 games a year earning 3.1 million, and a player who performed worse than a 4th liner for the last 50 games earning 6 million a year. Caggiula isn't the problem.
Count me in on hoping Lucic starts away from Draisaitl. Unless he can figure out how to handle pucks better he kills far too much of the puck control possession game that Draisaitl creates. Tired of Drai working his ass off to protect pucks and open space for his line mates only to watch Lucic have it bounce off his stick or throw an errant pass to no one. He needs to prove he can do better in those areas before he should get time with either of our star centres.
I think we're legitimately a better team with Lucic not only starting away from Draisaitl, but just not starting on the ice period. Nobody killed more plays than Lucic last year and yet nobody got more undeserved offensive opportunities. We had this worthless bum attached to McDavid's hip for more than half the year and constantly deployed him on the 1st unit power play, and he did nothing with it. Our stubborn coach wanted to "get him his confidence back hurr durr" and our Pejorative Slur GM probably backed that decision every step of the way to try to recoup value for the NHL's worst contract. What actually ended up happening is he went over 30 games without a goal, all the while taking dumb penalty after dumb penalty and dragging down McDavid/Draisaitl's offense by blowing countless free chances. He doesn't even do what he was originally brought here to do anymore FFS. He barely fought anyone and if someone threw a dirty hit, it was Khaira jumping to his teammate's defense and Milan standing there counting his money. He was by far the worst player on the Oilers last year, and that includes Eric Gryba.

Last edited:

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Seeing as this is like roster we roll into 2018 with, here is what I would like to see:

Nuge - McDavid - Rattie
Rieder - Drai - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Strome - Khaira
Caggiula - Brodziak - Kassian

Give Drai some players with talent to play with and gives Puju a chance in the top 6. Would rather see Khaira play with Strome and given 3rd line minutes over Caggiula.

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
I'm honestly trying to recollect what they had going. I don't recall too much positive play from Pulju in the last 45GP and its not noted in any production either. What indication is there that Strome was working well with Pulju?

I just checked back and Strome had 1G 2A in last 18gp. So barely a pulse. Those are the results in the time frame.

Pulju had 2G 1 assist in the same 18gp. Both players had big 2 pt games against a Carolina team with a backup goalie in a game the Canes essentially mailed in.

Other than that nothing.

I wonder how much through optimism we attempt to distort our recollections to avoid thinking about how bad this team was and how most of the lineup was producing nothing.

So again, what did Pulju and Strome have going. Sorry to single you out, I'm asking this throughout and nobody is answering. Mainly because nothing significant occurred.

You know, my rose colored glasses may have been optimistic when it came to them. Even though the points may not have been there, I thought the two played better together than when they were both struggling on other lines. To my recollection, Pulju seemed to be playing a bit smarter with Strome mentoring him.

I could totally be out to lunch. Wouldn't be the first time that happened.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
2 lineups, one with Yamamoto/Bear making the team and one without

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi (gives McDavid the most raw talent to work with and helps JP development)
Rieder-Draisaitl-Yamamoto (gives Draisaitl very creative wingers and has the size to win battles for Yama)
Caggiula-Strome-Aberg (this line sucks, might as well keep all the suck together instead of letting them infect other lines)
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian (very physical high energy line)
Rattie (he's pretty meh without McDaddy) Marody (comes in when Caggiula/Aberg inevitably go on a cold streak)

RNH-McDavid-Rattie (don't fix what isn't broken)
Rieder-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi (just give Poolparty some talent on the wings already)
Khaira-Strome-Caggiula (hide the lazy bum center with 2 wingers that give oodles of effort)
Aberg-Brodziak-Kassian (get some speed going at least on the wings)
Marody Malone (better than rushing someone like Benson or Maksimov before they're ready)

Klefbom-Larsson (reunite the swedes to get Klefbom going again)
Nurse-Bear (give Bear a defensively responsible elite skating partner and give Nurse someone with good offensive instincts)
Sekera-Russell (throwaway pairing hoping Sekera isn't the next Wade Redden)
Benning (send him in when someone inevitably gets injured again)

Nurse-Larsson (our most stable pair)
Klefbom-Russell (at least it'll generate offense)
Sekera-Benning (throwaway pairing hoping Sekera learns how to skate again)
Lowe (he was actually better than I expected last year)

Milan Lucic gets shot into the sun. I'm very comfortable with this coke machine+wuss who makes Khaira do the fighting for him never playing another game in an Oilers uniform You can carry him as the 13th forward if Marody isn't ready.

I was reading through here like where’s Lucic, and it took your post to dawn on me that our lineup looks way better without him in it

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
RNH-McDavid-Rieder
Lucic-Draisailt-Puljujarvi
Khaira-Strome-Yamamoto
Caggiula-Brodziak-Kassian

:nod:

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I think I am the only one who thinks Lucic has a bounce back year. I think he scores 25 goals.

I think it's all how he approaches this season mentally. If he's only focusing on putting up points and offense, he'll struggle, cuz that's not his primary strength. If he can get back to playing physically, the points will come.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I expect 14G-38 points from Lucic on mostly the 3rd line. He'll get traded next summer.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I wouldn't mind seeing a top line of RNH-McDavid-Kassian. I understand that Kassian hasn't shown a lot of consistency and offense in his game thus far, but he can skate, is a big body and would provide an element on that line that is lacking.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
RNH - McDavid - Puljujarvi (Pulju needs to develop into a top line RW)
Rieder - Draisaitl - Strome (Strome needs to find his game on RW)
Lucic - Brodziak - Kassian (Big, physical, checking line)
Caggiula - Khaira - Aberg (Speedy bum-slaying line)
Rattie

Nurse - Sekera (Nurse has to be the #1 Dman going forward)
Klefbom - Larsson (A given)
Russell - Benning (Best with whats left over)
Gravel

Talbot
Koskinen

Maybe ya'll should sign Letestu ;)

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Id pair up:

McDavid-JP > JP needs the promotion as this is a sink or swim year
Rieder-Draisaitl > I think their games will mesh together well
Lucic-Strome > Gut feeling this duo will work on the 3rd line.

Fill in the other wingers. Edit: Just forgot we have no other top 6 wingers. Yamamoto can maybe/hopefully slide in there

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Nuge - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Draisaitl - Rieder
Yamamoto - Strome - Caggiula
Khaira - Brodziak - Kassian
Rattie/Aberg

All three of the first lines are dependent on upgrades from last year.

Can Puljujarvi handle first line minutes? He has the speed to keep up with the rest of the line.

Can Lucic recover to his 2016-17 form? Easy to write him off but 2016-17 Lucic with Draisatl and a better than last year Rieder is a dangerous line.

Can Yamamoto prove he belongs in the league?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Nuge - McDavid - Rattie
Reider - Draisaitl - Pulujarvi
Lucic - Strome - Cagguila
Khaira - Brodziak - Kassian
Aberg

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Russell
Sekera - Benning/Bouchard (if he makes the team/9 games)
Gravel

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
This is what I think TM does for the opening night lineup.

RNH-Mcdavid-Rattie
Lucic-Draisaitl-Rieder
Caggiula-Strome-JP
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian
Aberg, waiver pickup

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Sekera
Russel-Bouchard
Benning

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
This is what I think TM does for the opening night lineup.

RNH-Mcdavid-Rattie
Lucic-Draisaitl-Rieder
Caggiula-Strome-JP
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian
Aberg, waiver pickup

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Sekera
Russel-Bouchard
Benning

I think you’re correct. Unfortunately Todd likes to go back to things that don’t work.

5 games of struggling and he will put Drai at 1RW, Nuge back to 2C (even though he and McDavid are producing) and he’ll promote Cags and move JP to 4LW.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lucic and Draisaitl are terrible together. Far worse than McDavid + Lucic. You can't play those two together, people over blow that combo because of Draisaitl's having a couple of big games in the Ducks series dragging Lucic along, but overall they are one of the worst combos on the Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad