Salary Cap: Oilers line combos for the 18/19 season your predictions

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Biggest thing that annoyed me about the coach. Not trying things when we were out of it anyways. Just pure idiotic.

McLellan is without a doubt a moron when it comes to adjustments. The MEDIA had to pressure him into putting RNH + McDavid together, if that hadn't happened we still would have no idea to this day if those two could click together.

Reactions: Aerchon

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
I think Lucic - Drai - Rieder is almost a lock to be our second line. Lucic will be given a chance to bounce back and Rieder will start the year off with Drai based off past history.

If we sign Upshall and Puju shows up ready to play top 6 mins, I think we see this line up, at least to start...

Nuge - Mcdavid - Puju
Lucic - Drai - Rieder
Khaira - Strome - Caggiula
Upshall - Brodziak - Kassian
Aberg

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Benning
Jerabek - Russell
Gravel

Talbot
Koskinen

Wouldn’t be surprised one bit if that is what the opening night roster looks like. Only wild card for me is Bouchard. He might start in top 6 if we give him 9 games, which I think we will unless he blows it in training camp.

oilcountry17

Aug 27, 2007
edmonton
Nuge - Mcdavid - Yam/Aberg/ Rattie (The worst in camp goes to AHL)
Rieder - Drai - Pul
Lucic - Strome - Khaira ( I think ths would be a good e/s line)
Caggiula

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Russel
Jerabek - Benning
Gravel

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Nuge-McD-Caggiula
Looch-Drai-Reider
JJ-Strome-JP
Upshall-Brodz-Kass
face-with-open-mouth-vomiting_1f92e.png

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I just have a gut feeling that Marody makes the team.

Maybe. There is going to be a lot of competition for the 13/14 forward spots.

Nuge - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Looch - Drai - Rieder
Khaira-Strome-Kassian
Upshall-Brodziak-Rattie

13/14 forwards? Aberg/Caggiula/Yamamoto/Marody who knows?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Marody is a guy I think could make it.

The real dark horse guy that my gut keeps saying could make it is McLeod.

With the game being so speed based and his all around talent combined... He could steal a job and keep it through the year.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
RNH-McDavid-Yamamoto/Marody/Rattie
Lucic-Draisaitl-Pulju
Rieder-Strome-Cagiulla
Kaihra-Brodziak-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bouchard/Russell
Russell-Benning/Bouchard/Jerabek/Bear

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
What I want:
RNH-McDavid-Rattie
Khaira-Draisaitl-Reider
Lucic-Strome-Puljujarvi/Aberg
Upshall-Brodziak-Kassian

What I expect:
RNH-McDavid-Rattie
Lucic-Draisaitl-Reider
Khaira-Strome-Puljujarvi
Caggiula-Brodziak-Kassian

Want and expect
Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Benning
Russell-Bouchard
(If Bouchard is clearly out of his depth by the start of the first regular season game, I'd prefer whoever is better in Jerabek/Bear/Gravel)

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Rieder is much more comfortable on RW.

Nuge-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Draisaitl-Rieder
Caggiula-Strome-Yamamoto
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian

Rattie/Aberg

That would be an ideal forward group. Needs people to step up on each of the first three lines.

Will Puljujarvi's work this off-season allow him to make the jump to a first line role? Can Lucic return to top 6 form? Is Yamamoto ready to play in the league full time?

I haven’t heard much about Puju in the off-season. Has he been working hard ? I really wanna see a line of Reider-Drai-Puju. Is it too far fetched to say Puju will score 27 goals?

What does everyone thing of Aberg? For a few games last year, he reminded me of Nylander. Aberg can shoot and skate.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I think we'll probably see Yamamoto start in the AHL just like Draisaitl and Puljujarvi and eventually get the call. Especially considering Rattie finished well. I think he'd have to really struggle in pre-season to not make this team.

RNH - McDavid - Rattie
Khaira - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Strome - Rieder
Caggiula/Aberg

That's how I'd have it.

As for predictions.. McDavid and RNH kickstart Rattie's career and he scores in the range of 40 points. He'll go on to play a few years in the NHL because of it. Situation reminds me a bit of Tyler Kennedy with the Penguins. I'll also predict that Rieder is a flop and Yamamoto takes his spot after 10-15 games but I'd love to be proven wrong.

I was actually pretty stoked we got Reider. I predict a good year with Drai

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

Starting to sound like this fella might be a version of John Leclair. Not overly fast but a good power forward with some hands and hard to knock off the puck. This might turn into a great signing

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I haven’t heard much about Puju in the off-season. Has he been working hard ? I really wanna see a line of Reider-Drai-Puju. Is it too far fetched to say Puju will score 27 goals?

There was a picture of Puljujarvi floating around where he looked in really good shape. His face looked like he was cut.

27 goals would be a jump. But if he earns a spot on McDavid's wing I would think it is definitely a possibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: PulYou

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
There was a picture of Puljujarvi floating around where he looked in really good shape. His face looked like he was cut.

27 goals would be a jump. But if he earns a spot on McDavid's wing I would think it is definitely a possibility.

One thing you cant teach is size and he has that. The year Finland won the World Jr, they had Puju, Aho, Laine as 1,2,3 in scoring. Puju was a beast out there. He was unreal. Hopefully he can get a one-timer working because the Oilers desperately need that guy on the PP and in our top 2 lines.

Another guy that interests me is Marody. Anxious to see him in camp. After years of neglect, our cupboards are looking good

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

Geez, looking back at that Finland team, it was pretty impressive. They also had Rantanen and Kapanen as forwards to go with a great D

http://stats.worldjunior2016.com/Hydra/419/IHM419131_74_5_0.pdf

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

I'm not a massive Caggiula fan, but I don't mind him in that spot. He's shown that he's willing to do the dirty work, and that's a trait that could help McNuge.

It's when Caggiula gets put in a role where he needs to make plays with the puck is when the s**t hits the fan.

In short, I like the idea of...
Caggiula-McDavid-Draisaitl
RNH-McDavid-Caggiula

And hate the idea of...
Maroon-McDavid-Caggiula
Lucic-Draisaitl-Caggiula

As for the lines, I want...

RNH-McDavid-Caggiula
Rieder-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Strome-Kassian
Khaira-Brodziak-Upshall/Aberg

Focus having a speedy top 6, a big and physical 3rd line, that slows the pace; and a defensive 4th line.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I'm not a massive Caggiula fan, but I don't mind him in that spot. He's shown that he's willing to do the dirty work, and that's a trait that could help McNuge.

It's when Caggiula gets put in a role where he needs to make plays with the puck is when the s**t hits the fan.

RNH-McDavid-Caggiula

And hate the idea of...
Maroon-McDavid-Caggiula
Lucic-Draisaitl-Caggiula

RNH-McDavid-Caggiula
Lucic-Strome-Kassian

Focus having a speedy top 6, a big and physical 3rd line, that slows the pace; and a defensive 4th line.

FlamboyantMiserableAnemone-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: oilersb678

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

RNH-McDavid-Caggiula

And hate the idea of...
Maroon-McDavid-Caggiula
Lucic-Draisaitl-Caggiula

RNH-McDavid-Caggiula
Lucic-Strome-Kassian

I'm one of the few who likes DC. But you said it. That line needs someone who can go to the net and be hard on a forecheck. Waaaay to much is being focused on a RW for McD. Nuge and McD are more than enough skill for that line. That line doesn't need a world beater at RW imo, just a tenacious player...which I think the Drake is

Another reason I would love to see him there is to get his stock up. He had good pedigree and hype when we got him. If he can turn into a 25/25 player there, that helps the team moving forward with another trade chip

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

RNH-McDavid-Caggiula

And hate the idea of...
Maroon-McDavid-Caggiula
Lucic-Draisaitl-Caggiula

RNH-McDavid-Caggiula
Lucic-Strome-Kassian

That's true. As long as Cagguila isn't the main offensive winger on the line and isn't expected to carry any offence, then it isn't too bad. The main thing is that I'd much rather have other players like Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Aberg, Rattie, Khaira, and even Kassian be given the opportunity before Cagguila because we already know what he's capable of in the top 6.

Reactions: Aerchon

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
I got a strong feeling Rattie regresses and doesn't start on the top line after preseason opening the door for Puj.
Yamo will most likely be given the Draisaitl treatment and sent down to AHL even if he looks ready.

RNH-McD-Puj
Lucic-Drai-Reider
Caggullia-Strome-Kassian
Khaira-Brodziak-Upshall
Rattie/Aberg

Klefbom-Larson
Nurse-Benning
Russel-Jerabek
Gravel

Man this defence is going to get eaten alive! So bad...
After Klef/Lars everyone of those guys should be 1-2 spots lower than they are going to be...
Banning should be our #6D not our #4...

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
I got a strong feeling Rattie regresses and doesn't start on the top line after preseason opening the door for Puj.
Yamo will most likely be given the Draisaitl treatment and sent down to AHL even if he looks ready.

RNH-McD-Puj
Lucic-Drai-Reider
Caggullia-Strome-Kassian
Khaira-Brodziak-Upshall
Rattie/Aberg

Klefbom-Larson
Nurse-Benning
Russel-Jerabek
Gravel

After Klef/Lars everyone of those guys should be 1-2 spots lower than they are going to be...

So you think Nurse isnt an adequate number 3 defenseman? Lol

Nurse is much closer to a number 2 dman than a number 4.

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
So you think Nurse isnt an adequate number 3 defenseman? Lol

Nurse is much closer to a number 2 dman than a number 4.
I think Nurse still needs to be paired with a very good d man and shouldn't be relied on to carry the pairing just yet..
This is a "prove it to me" year for him. He is still going to make mistakes and doesn't need to be constantly covering for his partner's mistakes.
I was perfectly happy with a Nurse-Sekera pairing but Nurse and Benning are both still too inexperienced and need a solid D man paired with them or limited minutes (Benning's case)

Nurse could be a #2D if he was paired with a elite #1D.
Hopefully by the end of this season he can carry the 2nd pairing and this shouldn't matter but right now it does...

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

RNH-McD-Puj
Lucic-Drai-Reider
Caggullia-Strome-Kassian
Khaira-Brodziak-Upshall
Rattie/Aberg

Klefbom-Larson
Nurse-Benning
Russel-Jerabek
Gravel

Even Klef should be starting as a 3-4 to see if he could bounce back, argument could be made for Larsson too. It absolutely baffles me people are surprised we can’t turn the team around inside of the last decade. We haven’t had a legit proven top pairing dman since Pronger, ( HM to Souray when he first joined Edmonton though), is there a team in the league that has had that much trouble getting defenseman in the last decade? I doubt it

That forward group is full of question marks outside of Drai/Nuge/Mcdavid too.

Could be a recipe for another disaster this season

Reactions: BowDangles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad