Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Looch looked pretty good with Strome.

tenor.gif

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
IMO, KY might be the key to the season for two vets. He has the skill and can be sheltered on our 3rd line

RNH - McD - JP
Reider - Drai - Aberg (this line is for rewarding good play by cag, Kharia, aberg etc)
Lucic - Strome - KY

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Rnh-mcd-pulju/rattie
Caggiula-drai-yammer/marody/pulju
Lucic-strome-reider
Khaira-brodziak-kassian
Aberg

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bouchard
Sekera/Russell-Benning
Gravel

Koskinen

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Rnh-mcd-pulju/rattie
Caggiula-drai-yammer/marody/pulju
Lucic-strome-reider
Khaira-brodziak-kassian
Aberg

I hope Looch recovers form and is on the second line while Cags drops to the third line. Other than that I am in agreement with your forwards. Pulju best outcome as 1 RW and Yamamoto as best outcome on 3RW.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I hope Looch recovers form and is on the second line while Cags drops to the third line. Other than that I am in agreement with your forwards. Pulju best outcome as 1 RW and Yamamoto as best outcome on 3RW.

I wonder if pulju or marody take a lw spot too.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I have Marody as #4 prospect on this team behind only Bouchard/Yamamoto/Benson... but I don't think the Oilers will pull him up to the big club that quickly. With only 3 AHL games under his belt... I think they let him get a full season in the AHL before they think about pulling him up to the NHL.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
IMO, KY might be the key to the season for two vets. He has the skill and can be sheltered on our 3rd line

RNH - McD - JP
Reider - Drai - Aberg (this line is for rewarding good play by cag, Kharia, aberg etc)
Lucic - Strome - KY

I'm a fan of these LW-C pairings, with the RWs rotating based on success

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
TM should have put JP in a consistent top 6/1st PP unit spot the second the season was done. It would have helped his development and let us know what we have for this season. Now we go into the season questioning if JP is a top 6 player and if we need a top 6 RW.
Biggest thing that annoyed me about the coach. Not trying things when we were out of it anyways. Just pure idiotic.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
For the opening game, I think the forward lines should be:

RNH - McDavid - Puljujarvi

Obviously the duo was amazing for their stretch last season, and I liked what I saw between McDavid and Puljujarvi last season. What I hadn't realized was how well RNH and Puljujarvi played together. Adding a fast sniper to an already amazing pair could make this the most dangerous line in the league.

Lucic - Draisaitl - Yamamoto

I've seen a lot of hope for Lucic and Rieder as Draisaitl's wingers next year. They both have no skill, passing, or finishing ability whatsoever. Replace Rieder with Yamamoto, and I think this line has the potential to be really good. Lucic and Draisaitl are both big and cycle the puck really well, and Yamamoto is slippery and can get open quickly for a scoring chance. I think this is Lucic's best shot at rebounding, and Draisaitl's best chance to have consistent linemates for the year. And for those saying that Yamamoto should be sent down for at least a year, I'm going go out on a limb and say he is easily the Oilers best natural winger right now.

Aberg/Cagguila - Strome - Rieder

Definitely not too high on this line. At least the wingers bring some speed to the table.

Khaira - Brodziak - Kassian

Love this line. Could be in contention for the toughest line in the league. All bring a good defensive game, some scoring ability, size, and are very hard to play against. All three of these players are good enough to step into a 3rd line role (imo) if needed.

One interesting experiment could also be to have Brodziak as the 3rd line center, bump Lucic down, and have Strome play the wing with Draisaitl.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
For the opening game, I think the forward lines should be:

Obviously the duo was amazing for their stretch last season, and I liked what I saw between McDavid and Puljujarvi last season. What I hadn't realized was how well RNH and Puljujarvi played together. Adding a fast sniper to an already amazing pair could make this the most dangerous line in the league.

I've seen a lot of hope for Lucic and Rieder as Draisaitl's wingers next year. They both have no skill, passing, or finishing ability whatsoever. Replace Rieder with Yamamoto, and I think this line has the potential to be really good. Lucic and Draisaitl are both big and cycle the puck really well, and Yamamoto is slippery and can get open quickly for a scoring chance. I think this is Lucic's best shot at rebounding, and Draisaitl's best chance to have consistent linemates for the year. And for those saying that Yamamoto should be sent down for at least a year, I'm going go out on a limb and say he is easily the Oilers best natural winger right now.

Aberg/Cagguila - Strome - Rieder

Definitely not too high on this line. At least the wingers bring some speed to the table.

Love this line. Could be in contention for the toughest line in the league. All bring a good defensive game, some scoring ability, size, and are very hard to play against. All three of these players are good enough to step into a 3rd line role (imo) if needed.

One interesting experiment could also be to have Brodziak as the 3rd line center, bump Lucic down, and have Strome play the wing with Draisaitl.

I like these lines. Typically you're seeing Pulju on the second to third line, and Rattie taking the top line but we need to push the river with Pulju and give him a shot with McD to get his confidence and scoring going. Lucic got that treatment (undeservedly) so I'd love to see Pulju get that chance.

Talking about Lucic, we need him to have a bounce back season, so having him on the 2nd line with Drai and Yamo, which worked in spurts would be nice.

I could see this third line being a line that has trouble in its own zone, and you might see Rattie outplaying Caggiula and pushing for a scoring threat here. Especially if he's shown he can play a bit away from McDavid.

Solid fourth line that can play responsible, two way play.

We do need a player like Rattie to emerge as well and be our cheap scoring winger, however and I don't s

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Interesting to see how many people still have Kassian penciled into a starting lineup. Played like somebody who didn't deserve to be in the NHL last season and I'd expect him to have a pretty short leash next year. If he doesn't start out strong it could be the end of his career.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Interesting to see how many people still have Kassian penciled into a starting lineup. Played like somebody who didn't deserve to be in the NHL last season and I'd expect him to have a pretty short leash next year. If he doesn't start out strong it could be the end of his career.

Well Kassian is there on almost every lineup card because the Oilers have pretty much zero depth on the right side...

Right shot wingers career stats:

Kassian 387 games 117 pts

JP 93 games 28 pts
Aberg 68 games 18 pts
Rattie 48 games 19 pts
Yamamoto 9 games 3 pts

Pretty sure that must be the motliest crew of right handed shooting wingers in the NHL... I haven't looked it up to be sure... but I don't think I even have to.

Kassian is no elite player but he has 169 more games experience and 49 more pts than all those other right shot winger options combined.

Sure they could play left shot Rieder on the right side... but that opens up a hole on the left side... or they could play Strome on the right side but that opens up a hole in the centre that really can't be suitably filled either.

cheese... swiss... and lots of it.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Opening night roster predictions cause...reasons

RNH - McDavid - Caggiula
Lucic - Draisaitl - Rieder
Aberg - Strome - Pulju

Nurse - Larsson
Russell - Benning
Gravel - Bouchard
Lowe

Talbot
Montoya

I predict Klefbom gets injured in camp and Montoya outplays Koskinen bad enough he goes back to Europe. Chia holds the new cap space for the deadline.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Opening night roster predictions cause...reasons

RNH - McDavid - Caggiula
Lucic - Draisaitl - Rieder
Aberg - Strome - Pulju

Nurse - Larsson
Russell - Benning
Gravel - Bouchard
Lowe

Talbot
Montoya

I predict Klefbom gets injured in camp and Montoya outplays Koskinen bad enough he goes back to Europe. Chia holds the new cap space for the deadline.

After 9 games Bouchard goes back down and Bear takes that 3rd pairing spot....

and I just read your Klefbom comment and I'm remembering what it tastes like to have vomit in your mouth...

Reactions: CycloneSweep

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Opening night I have:

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Draisaitl-Rieder
Khaira-Strome-Caggiula
Upshall-Brodziak-Kassian
Aberg-Rattie

Nurse-Larsson
Klefbom-Bouchard
Russell-Benning
Gravel

Talbot
Koskinen

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
As i posted before in the othe thread;

RNH-McDavid-Rattie/Marody/Yamamoto

Obviously things can change but it sounds like this is the plan to have rnh on the wing. I toss Marody in there for the hell of it....but i wonder if hes got a shot if Rattie doesnt stick. Or yams.

Caggiula-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi

I doubt looch gets the shaft here but maybe caggiula gunning for 20 goals means something.

Lucic-Strome-Reider

I really like this as an option for the 3rd line. Assuming looch gets pp success and reider a bit of everything.....its ok.

Khaira-Brodziak-Aberg
4th line is kind of meh. But it has some versatility. Or something..

Kassian/Upshall

I think these guys battle it out for the extra spot.

Klefbon-Larsson
Nurse-Bouchard
Russell-Benning
Gravel

The defense is a little rough and they are in a new system. But its amazing how bad this is and still light years better than many incarnations in the past.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
RNH - McDavid - Rattie
Khaira - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Strome - Rieder
Upshall - Brodziak - Kassian
Caggiula, Aberg

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Benning
Russell - XXXX
Gravel

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Khaira - Strome - Rieder
Cagguila, Aberg

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Benning
Russell - Bouchard
Davidson, Gravel

Yamamoto and Bouchard will be replaced after 9 games depending on how they perform.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I see Moody spending the year on the farm

I see the key building blocks for the team being

Nuge-McDavid
Lucic-Leon

With Ratti, Pool party and Rieder sliding up and down rw seeing who clicks first

Karia-Strome
Upshall Bodziuk with Aderg and Kassian in out out of the line up

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Purely thinking about winning/dominating this is what I think the Oilers should start with:

RNH McDavid JP
Kharia Leon Reider
Lucic Strome Yamamoto
XXX Brodziach Kassian

XXX being anyone really. Upshaw, Caguillia, whoever.

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Bear
Russell Benning

Talbot & K

This would be my go for broke scenario.

It relies on big growth from dang near everyone. But has skill on every line.

Last edited:

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I think we'll probably see Yamamoto start in the AHL just like Draisaitl and Puljujarvi and eventually get the call. Especially considering Rattie finished well. I think he'd have to really struggle in pre-season to not make this team.

RNH - McDavid - Rattie
Khaira - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Strome - Rieder
Caggiula/Aberg

That's how I'd have it.

As for predictions.. McDavid and RNH kickstart Rattie's career and he scores in the range of 40 points. He'll go on to play a few years in the NHL because of it. Situation reminds me a bit of Tyler Kennedy with the Penguins. I'll also predict that Rieder is a flop and Yamamoto takes his spot after 10-15 games but I'd love to be proven wrong.

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
To start:
RNH-McD-Rattie
Lucic-Draisaitl-Rieder
Caggulia-Strome-Puljujarvi
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian

To finish:
RNH-McD-Yamamoto
Rieder-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Strome-Caggulia