TSN: Oilers getting a lot of calls on Nurse

Spoilers

Jun 24, 2018
LOL so you trade the player after he comes into his own and becomes very valuable to the team? Am I having a stroke or are you smoking something amazing

Where did I say we should trade him? Chill.

I said IF they planned on trading him for whatever reason, now would be the time. It’s all speculation anyways. We are keeping Nurse. Bennett on the other hand is likely gone.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Its strange seeing all the rumors of Nurse being dealt since Holland took over. Ive seen this a few times now.

Very weird situation.. I get that Oilers need to make some tough decisions and MAY have to deal someone that wont be a popular situation amongst fans, but not Nurse I wouldnt think. IMO he is exactly who Oilers desperately NEED to keep... Who knows maybe there are rumblings he is expecting a massive long term deal next offseason and Holland isnt a fan of that situation.

Usually i assume this is all nonsense, but its strange that ive seen this a few times now... Its not exactly a boring time of year when reporters are desperate for rumors/news

I dunno, i dont buy it but i guess anything can happen this offseason i guess!!

I don't know if there is any truth to the rumors. Mostly bloggers who see the oilers with Klefbom, Nurse and Sekera signed, Jones / Lagesson/ Samorukov coming in next few years. That is a lot of left shooting dmen.

LD is an area of surplus for the Oilers and it would make sense for every GM to explore that if they have a need. I doubt if Holland is in a hurry as no real decisions have to be made until next summer.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
40 point smooth skating defencemen don't grow on trees.

The return would have to be super good for the Oilers to trade him.

That are also 6’4 230 and a pain in the ass to play against as well.

He’s really improved his game every year, he’s a core piece that should be a mainstay for the next decade.

Reactions: KYams17

Spoilers

Jun 24, 2018
This is delusional. Nurse isn't that good and he makes stupid mistakes very often. Oiler fans regularly complain about his decision making. He's definitely an asset, but let's pump the breaks a bit.

He doesn’t make stupid mistakes that often. Every year he has gotten better. The issue is that he’s been paired with guys who are all over the place. Russell and Benning aren’t the most solid line mates.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I don't get it.

I think its mostly that the Oilers have a lot of LHD and holes up front.

Plus no guarantee a GM with a new team will have loyalty to a previous regime’s players. Good time to explore values.

If I was a GM with a hole on defence, prospects/futures to peddle, I’d for sure be calling on Nurse, who’s cheap for one more year and very good. I probably wouldn’t like Edmonton’s answer but no reason not to call.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This is delusional. Nurse isn't that good and he makes stupid mistakes very often. Oiler fans regularly complain about his decision making. He's definitely an asset, but let's pump the breaks a bit.
I'm not saying it's fair, just what it would require for the Oilers to move him.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Among the frequently mentioned trade candidates, I don't think there is a one-for-one player that could get Nurse. Would have to be combo of players, picks, prospects and/or taking other salary.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
I wish Dallas had the pieces. I guess the 18th OA this year+ 2nd in 2020 + Faksa doesn't move the needle?

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I see why his name comes up given we have some prospect depth on the LH side and Nurse is one year away from needing a hefty raise, but I’d be extremely reluctant to move him. He’s not airtight defensively but his progression has been good. His offense is coming nicely. He’s nasty to play against and has incredible wheels. If nothing else I’d be terrified to trade yet another off-ice friend of McDavids. First Strome, then Drake Caggiula. Who wants to piss off the franchise kingpin? It’d take, at minimum, a youngish top 4 RH shot D and a youngish winger with top 6 talent. Thats a bit of an overpay, but thatd be my minimum.

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
How about Joel Edmondson, Kyrou and the Blues second round pick?

That would be more than fair for the Oilers IMO. Of course not if you follow what are Oilers fans are saying. Clearly this is the next Paul Coffey in waiting. Seems like this follows EVERY rumor thread these days though. He gets bashed for his mistakes all the time(we and I do the same thing) now suddenly the fans require 3 or 4 grade A assets for him. Oh yeah you have to take Lucic too. I am the guy that wanted to do a Nurse, RNH Talbot thing for Allen, Eddy, Schenn thing last year. The caveat was the only way Oilers likely do that is if you take the Lucic contract too. Now I am not revisiting that because we already know how that turned out. Still not sure it would’ve been bad for the blues though “Longterm” You could just cut Lucic (I wouldn’t) but in this day and age nobody is willing to do that. Probably because of the Cap Situation. My point is youngish, talented players like RNH and Nurse do carry a lot of value. I could actually say something like this happening because Edmonton Hass to be desperate to get out from under that contract by now and clearly they’re not going to pay him to go away. There has been too much smoke around these Nurse rumors for there not to be at least a little fire. I’m not predicting it but I would not be surprised either, at all .

Reactions: brokeu91

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That would be more than fair for the Oilers IMO. Of course not if you follow what are Oilers fans are saying. Clearly this is the next Paul Coffey in waiting. Seems like this follows EVERY rumor thread these days though. He gets bashed for his mistakes all the time(we and I do the same thing) now suddenly the fans require 3 or 4 grade A assets for him. Oh yeah you have to take Lucic too. I am the guy that wanted to do a Nurse, RNH Talbot thing for Allen, Eddy, Schenn thing last year. The caveat was the only way Oilers likely do that is if you take the Lucic contract too. Now I am not revisiting that because we already know how that turned out. Still not sure it would’ve been bad for the blues though “Longterm” You could just cut Lucic (I wouldn’t) but in this day and age nobody is willing to do that. Probably because of the Cap Situation. My point is youngish, talented players like RNH and Nurse do carry a lot of value. I could actually say something like this happening because Edmonton Hass to be desperate to get out from under that contract by now and clearly they’re not going to pay him to go away. There has been too much smoke around these Nurse rumors for there not to be at least a little fire. I’m not predicting it but I would not be surprised either, at all .

This is long, but I sincerely fail to see why Edmonton considers a downgrade defenceman and a couple of prospects for Nurse. Our defence is already full of guys with no offense. Edmundson is a decent defensive defenceman but his career high is 17 points. Even in junior he wasn’t much of a puckmover, and that’s really what we need.

We want to win now. That trade makes us a good bit worse.

Last edited:

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
This is long, but I sincerely fail to see why Edmonton considers a downgrade defenceman and a couple of prospects for Nurse.

We want to win now. That trade makes us a good bit worse.

Like i said not really revisiting that. My point is this. Sure YOU want to win now like everybody else. Is that reality though with the group Edmonton has? The answer is obviously NO. If they feel the best course is too use their three world class forwards as a template and try to become a speed, skill team up front then Lucic absolutely has to go. The problem is (and has been) he will HAVE to be packaged with something good to move that contract. Maybe Nurse. Especially if they are not as high on him as other teams are. I am just using the Blues as an example because Dunn and Kyrou fit this scenario for Oilers. Eddy and Jake Allen too make sense there. I am sure the Blues are not the only team that has the pieces that fits but i think it would look something like this for Edmonton. I could totally see why they might do something like this though. A course change sells tickets plus the GM would be a local hero for dumping Lucic's money. Let's face it, changes are definitely coming for the Oil and fans might not like what it looks like at first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad